“DIRTY, CRAMPED, OLD!”

St. Louis, Mo
“DIRTY, CRAMPED, OLD!”
Reviewed 25 October 2012

THE BAD…
I'm a bit baffled by the other posted reviews... For my family, $160.00 per night included: unwashed sheets, cigarette burned comforters, sticky floors, broken amenities and dark, cramped and dingy rooms (see the pictures).
I can imagine when it was new this hotel was probably quite a gem. The atrium-style design and glass elevators were very popular in the 80s and 90s, but now it just seems DATED AND DIRTY. You can tell that they've attempted to “update” the actual rooms with darker wood, granite counter tops and newer furniture, but they missed the mark entirely by choosing pieces that were cheap, over-sized and ill-suited for travelers. And then, they FAILED to properly clean or maintain those updates (more on that later)…
FURNITURE--To be honest, I felt like I was in a furniture liquidation warehouse our entire stay- squeezing around unnecessary chairs, tables, stools, etc…There were THREE large sinks in the suite -one in the bathroom, one for the bar, and another randomly taking up space in the cramped bedroom. This was ironic because the lone tiny closet had four hangers and could probably only hold ten at most, (because when traveling, having multiple hand-washing options is more important than a place to put your clothes?)…
When the hideaway sofa was pulled out, there was barely enough room to squeeze your legs through to walk around to put the (dirty) sheets on it… There was a large desk/table with a desk chair on one side and two "waiting room" style chairs on the other. This would be convenient for families to eat a quick snack or meal- that is, if there were room to sit down! We had to actually climb over and INTO the chairs to sit at the table squeezed between the wall and TV...Okay, okay, so you get it. The suites are either too small or just crammed with too much furniture. Either way, we were uncomfortable and tripping over everything and everyone the whole time. By the way, we (my husband, 14 yr old daughter and I) are not large people. Overall, the suite was dark. The ceilings felt low. Blah!

MAINTENANCE—although you could tell that there were “updates”, the entire hotel and room needed a good scrubbing, carpet shampooing and general maintenance. The laminate wood floor near the bar area in our suite crackled and creaked when you walked on it. The carpets were sticky. I only dared to walk barefoot once! The floor near the elevator was sticky enough to make our shoes stick. (I told the front desk and they eventually mopped it. WHY would I have to report this?) The windows in our suite were SO dirty that you could not see out- see the pictures!

BATHROOMS—when I stay at a hotel, I expect the bathroom to be pristine. (Who doesn’t? I don’t want to touch other people’s funk!) The vanity shelving where they put the “clean” towels was dusty and dirty, and the finish was worn and peeling. The toilet paper holder was improperly installed, so that the roll would fall off every time you tried to unroll the tissue. The exhaust fan (six inches above your head when showering) was COVERED in clumps of dirty and dust- see the pictures! The multiple-stream massaging shower head could not be adjusted. I assume this is because it had not been cleaned-ever!

BEDDING—another thing I expect when checking into any hotel (especially for $160.00 per night) is CLEAN bedding… We arrived late in the evening, unpacked, and climbed into bed to find DIRTY SHEETS, covered in someone else’s makeup-see the pictures! ACK! (I called to the front desk any they apologized and politely brought me a pile of replacement bedding.) Imagine my surprise to unfold the new bedspread and find not one, not two, but THREE giant cigarette burns- see the pictures! It was close to midnight, so in desperation, I pulled the extra bedding from the top of the closet (3rd time’s a charm?) and found a nasty, cheap, flame-retardant blanket that was so sticky and stiff, it made NOISE when I tried to unfold it...Fortunately, we had brought an extra blanket along on our trip and used that to sleep that night. INSANE, UNNECESSARY, INEXCUSEABLE! At this point, I was ready to change hotels, but we had friends staying there as well and decided to stick it out. Who hasn’t stayed in a fleabag hotel at one time or another? We survived, but will NEVER return!

OTHER IRRITATIONS TO NOTE—when we travel, we tend to have tons of electronics to charge- laptops, cell phones, camera batteries, etc. I attempted to slide the TV over on the bedroom credenza to reach one of the few plugs, and found that it was bolted down like a cheap motel. Ironically, the bedside lamps were NOT bolted down, so when we wanted to turn the light off before bed, I had to use two hands to push the sticky button and keep the lamp from sliding off the night table. Yes, I’m being picky now, but who wants to get IN bed and then realize you have to get OUT of bed to turn off the lamp? -just another example of thoughtless design…
THE GOOD?—
Unfortunately, there isn’t much good to report, other than the made to order breakfast was good, and the dining hostesses were polite. However, the largest cup available for drinks was a coffee cup. If you wanted juice or soda, you were stuck with a 6-oz Dixie-style cup. This is pretty standard for hotels that include breakfast, but I’d imagine three wasted tiny cups would cost MORE than one larger cup for juice. (I’m being picky again. I probably wouldn’t be if everything else were in order. It wasn’t and I’m a contributor on Tripadvisor. Soo…)
The desk clerk that checked us in was also very polite. The hotel was booked, but he still remembered to offer us the bottles of water afforded by our Silver Club Member status. (See? We stay in enough Hilton hotels to know when things are sub-par!)
Finally, the hotel is close to a Target, multiple dining options and highways, but there are many other options nearby. The flaws at this Embassy are MANY, but easily remedied. I think that’s why I was soo disappointed! We’re not talking about million-dollar fixes, just SOAP and EFFORT. Shame on Embassy Suites Memphis. $160.00 X 2 night for an experience worse than Motel 6! Booo!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank marndog1969
Jay_R_Memphis, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Memphis, responded to this review, 26 October 2012
Thank you for your candid feedback of your stay with us. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations, and I am actively working with our housekeeping and maintenance teams to ensure cleanliness and comfort remain our first priority. We appreciate that you brought these areas of opportunity to our attention, and we will be sure to address all issues. We are always looking for feedback from all sources to provide insight into our guests' experiences, and I will keep your review in mind as we look towards refresh options. I hope to have the opportunity to speak with you personally so that I can apologize to you appropriately for letting you down. Thank you again for your feedback, and I invite you back to stay with us the next time your travels bring you to the area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I stayed here for one night while on business in Memphis, and am really glad I did. The rooms were clean and spacious, and nicely laid out. Nice touch with the sink in the bedroom as well. The beds were comfortable which allowed me to get a great nights sleep. I had dinner in the Italian restaurant downstairs, no complaints there. I was doing business downtown and found this location to be perfect for where I needed to be. It was also only about 15 minutes from the airport (no traffic that early in the morning) which made things all the more convenient.

I was happy with my stay and will definitely come back to this property if I am back in town.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank dyanna26
Houston
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Room was very comfortable. Breakfast was included and it was EXCELLENT. Personnel in the breakfast area were outstanding employees, very friendly. Everything was perfect except one thing: I went to the bar for bucket of ice and asked the only bartender if I could borrow a martini glass because I needed in my room for a surprise to a friend of mine and in a very rude manner he refused to lend me a glass. I really did not expect such a respond from a bartender and just turned back and went to my room. Besides this moment, everything was very nice. .

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Roberto36
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Embassy Suites of Memphis is located in a corporate area of Memphis, about 15-20 minutes from downtown. This appears to be an older hotel in that the rooms are smaller and the arrangement is an older style... i.e., small bathroom, 2nd lavatory/sink in bedroom, tiny bedroom closet. We were assigned suite on 5th floor which is accessed by key card in the elevator. Furnishings were nice with the exception of the sofa which had pillows that sunk into sofa... needed new cushions. An example of the small bedroom was that when the door to the bedroom was opened, it hit one of the beds. There was a full length mirror on the back of the door which had not been cleaned of a small child's finger prints... small child's finger prints were also seen on the bedroom window. The bed was very comfortable with good quality linens and comfortable. The air conditioner worked beautifully and we were able to get the room nice and cool.
Frommer's Guide described the Italian restaurant at the hotel as being one of the best in Memphis. Although the food was good and the service was impeccable, we did not find the food to be all that exceptional. The atmosphere was, however, very nice and the servers was very friendly.
The breakfast staff at the Embassy were very friendly and helpful; the food was typical of Embassy Suites with a nice selection of options. The tables were cleaned immediately providing quick access to seating even when there were lots of other guests.
Check-in and out was a breeze with very friendly staff. We also enjoyed watching the ducks waddle around the pond and one morning one of the ducks seemed to enjoy being out of the pond as he waddled around the carpeted area immediately in front of the pond.
We'll stay here again the next time we are in Memphis.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Reviewed 17 October 2012

The fastest check in I have ever had at a hotel. Room was comfortable but I had requested a ground floor and instead of a living room with a couch I got a board room and large table. It didn't matter for me as I arrived late and just needed to crash. Staff was very friendly, grounds and facilities clean and what you would expect from an Embassy Suites. Definitely would stay again

Room Tip: Don't choose ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 October 2012

My mother and I made a crazy trip from Chattanooga to Little Rock and ended up staying the night in Memphis. We arrived the first night at about 3am and after 11pm the second night. Getting into our room was fast and easy. The front desk staff was very kind and everyone we encountered was very kind and welcoming. There were a couple of minor issues, a scuff on a mirror and the handle of the shower door coming loose. And I would have loved if breakfast started just a bit earlier on the weekends. None of these things would keep me from coming back. And if I find myself in need of a room in Memphis again this will be the first place I look.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I enjoyed my stay at the Embassy Suites in Memphis. Conveniently located so that I could get where I needed anywhere in the City within 15 minutes. I especially enjoyed the pleasant kitchen staff. They were so nice and kind. I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business