“Excellent service and clean rooms”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Memphis
Ranked #30 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Excellent service and clean rooms”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We came in late and asked to change the room we reserved, the front desk clerk was wonderful! He was worked it out so we got the room we wanted while being friendly. The room was great as was the breakfast and the manager's reception. All the staff that we encountered went out of their way to be welcoming and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Sikeston, Missouri
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Enjoyed our visit with embassy suites. The Managers reception was great and handled well with the large crowd. I didn't swim but the kids said the pool was very cold. Breakfast was GREAT. Kids and I enjoyed the ducks in the foyer but was upset to here they was being removed in the next week. Rooms was clean but it sure seemed to take along time to cool it down to where I liked it.

Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Our family recently stayed here for our trip to Memphis. The location was perfect to experience everything Memphis has to offer while not having to worry about our safety. The location is right off of the 240 freeway that encircles Memphis and was a 10 minute drive to the Memphis zoo, 10 minute drive to Graceland, and about 20 minute drive to downtown Memphis/Beale street area. 240 is under significant construction right now but traffic moved easily, but I am sure those times would have been quicker without that. Within safe walking distance of the hotel is several superb restaurants and the hotel staff was great at making recommendations. Several were also just a short drive away.
The hotel will be starting a renovation shortly and to be honest it looks like it was much needed in some areas. Our room and the amenities we utilized were all acceptable but it will be nice when this hotel is smoke free. The gym was of decent size but was quite busy every morning, it would be advantageous of them to expand it. The breakfast was uncomfortable for us with the tables too close together so we always just brought it up to our room.
As a diamond hhonors member we were up on the fifth floor, you were supposed to use your key card to get to this floor on the elevator but it always worked without it. I recommend you get a lower number hotel room as this puts you over the lobby where you don't get the excessive noise from breakfast and the evening reception. Our room was 513 and it was the best in my opinion, it was even off the main area, tucked into the corner of the hotel. The WiFi was free for me and we had no issues with it throughout our stay. I probably would not have purchased it though if it was not provided to me as I felt it was expensive and several other guests were complaining over that.
The atrium is in typical Embassy Suites fashion with tropical plants, fountains, fish, and several ducks that roamed around. It was cute but was a bit outdated and needs a refresh. The Italian restaurant in the hotel left much to be desired. The furniture and fixtures were tired and in poor condition, we actually ended up leaving after drinks as it was clear it wasn't going to be a pleasant experience.
The biggest opportunities were the hotel lacked a concierge which I felt would have been useful. I ended up contacting a 3rd party concierge service, Level Nine who were able to work with the hotel and get all my needs taken care of; Muddy's bake shop delivered, groceries delivered, and reservations made for the local restaurants. The front staff did what they could but just couldn't complete what I needed. Everything was waiting in my room when I checked in. Also the windows in the hotel were horrible, it wasn't the inside, but the outside and they should really get them cleaned. The hot water literally took 5 minutes to get hot, not a big issue, you just had to wait to get into the shower.
The only issue I had was with housekeeping on the final day. We had stayed out late on Beale street and planned to sleep in before checking out. They decided to wake us up at 8:35am to check and see if we were checking out that day, which was not appreciated. They then watched our room like hawks waiting for us to leave, including asking us if we were checking out when we decided to go enjoy breakfast since they had woken us up.
Overall, I would stay there again, but probably after the renovations are completed.

Room Tip: Go for a lower number room so you are over the lobby and don't get the noise from breakfast and...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Room was clean and very comfortable. GREAT staff - shuttle driver gives a great tour for first time visitors. Staff at happy hour was amazingly friendly. Did not run into anyone that wasn't in a good mood and enjoyed working there. There were 3 family reunion groups that were staying there and you could not tell it.

Pool cloudy, but that was the only negative part about our visit.

Would stay there again the next time we visit and would recommend anyone to stay there.

Pittsburg, California
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I loved the location. Upon entering the hotel, it was beautiful. I loved the fish and the ducks walk around the pond area. My granddaughter loved going up and down in the glass elevator. It was further from Beale street than I had hoped but it was in a good area of Memphis. The staff was nice but I did have a problem with my room. I think there was mildew in the bathroom. I visited other rooms and that was not the case. It seemed to be only our room. I did not request another room because my grand baby was two doors away and could walk over to my room. The food was not up to what I've experience in other Embassy Suites. If you want the best food, stand in line and get the egg omelet. They offered free drinks for happy hours. I got two, thinking it would be watered down. Those were the strongest free drinks I've ever had. I could not even finish one. Overall, it was a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the elevator. We could hear people waiting to get on or getting off. If yo...
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I travel to Memphis frequently on business and have stayed at most of the hotels in the Poplar-240 area. The Hilton nearby looks like a miniature Westin Peachtree Plaza (in Atlanta) due to it's cylinder and glass exterior, but I prefer the Embassy Suites - even though there is a Benihana across the street from the HIlton Usually, I prefer Embassy Suites when staying with my family, but avoid them when traveling solo. However, the Memphis location is situated right in the heart of the business district of East Memphis and therefore attracts a lot of business travelers during the week.

The staff has always been very friendly and courteous. The rooms could use a bit of an update, but are still nice enough - and having a separate living room on longer trips is nice. The rooms at the Hilton nearby are small to accommodate it's cylinder shape - and get very hot due to all the glass. At the Embassy, Freddie the bartender, makes the Managers reception each night a pleasure. He always remembers me and shakes my hand welcoming me back. It's a little thing, but it makes me feel at home.

The free shuttle from the airport is nice - and they'll take you within a 5 mile radius which will take you to some good BBQ at Corky's - or my personal preference, Germantown Commissary. The only negative is that for the morning airport shuttle, they only run at the top of each hour. Travel time is 15-30 minutes depending on traffic. They will pick you up from the airport on arrival at any time - just call when you get your bag. It would be nice if they ran the morning shuttle every 30 minutes, though...

The best part of this hotel is that it has an authentic, locally owned Italian restaurant on the premise. Grisanti's has been in Memphis for generations and moved to this hotel when it opened. Their local patrons followed and on any given night you are dining with the power brokers in Memphis. When I'm by myself, I usually sit at the bar and eat. The bartender during the week, Robbie, is one of the best and usually talks me into one of the specials of the night. He's never done me wrong as I've never had a bad meal there. He's a great conversationalist and keeps me up to date on the local sports news. On nights when I have more work to do, I order a pizza from room service - it is NOT your typical hotel pizza. Try it, you won't be disappointed!

There is a shopping center next door (an easy and safe walk) with some high end clothing stores, a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, and a great little wine store. If you walk across Poplar (5 minutes), there is a gas station, the Crescent Center Office building, a Season's 52, and a Capital Grill. Target, Best Buy, and a bunch of retailers are next door. If you're going to Target, it might be safer to use the hotel shuttle as Poplar is a very busy street. If you're in the mood for Chinese Food, Wangs is nearby and they deliver. Their hot and sour soup is still the best I've ever had. P.F Changs and Amerigo are also in that shopping center.

The gym at the hotel doesn't have any machines, but there are a couple of treadmills and enough dumbbells to work off some of the weight I put on enjoying the great Memphis food. It is on the first floor next to the indoor pool and hot tub. There is also a video arcade room with 5-10 video games - and for you road warriors, a coin laundry on the 3rd floor.

One of the things I love about this hotel is the atrium as it is decorated with lots of plants, waterfalls, and little streams with fish. It's not uncommon to have a duck walk past you while you're enjoying the complimentary breakfast! It's especially beautiful at Christmas as they decorate and put up a tree. I heard that the new owners are talking about getting rid of all of this to save money or add more rooms. I hope not, as I'm not sure I would enjoy staying here as much if they take it away...

Overall, I would recommend this hotel over the Marriott or Hilton nearby. I've always had a good experience here, but last time got a room on the bottom floor. I checked the sliding glass door on arrival and found that the door was unlocked. Worse, it didn't have a security bar to block it from opening. Maintenance came and said none of them have it, but they are about to remodel. This hotel is in a good neighborhood - but, Memphis does have a high crime rate and I was going to be out all day on business. They offered to move me, but I had already unpacked and didn't want the hassle. I ended up using the luggage stand to secure the door - although, I doubt anyone would want to steal my dirty clothes anyway...

Room Tip: The property has 2 elevators and doors (room key accessed) at each side of the rear of the hotel. P...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Weeki Wachee, Florida
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I admit it...as a Hilton Honors member, I was worried after reading the reviews, but we had a wonderful time at this Embassy Suites. The lobby is beautiful with little ducks walking around. The room was quiet and comfy...great bed! The breakfast was great.
We were disappointed that you get only 4 drink coupons, but the drinks were tasty and strong, so 4 was definitely plenty. It I was nice to have the airport shuttle, but also Greg, who drove us to restaurants in the area!
The location was convenient but truthfully, the beat part of this hotel was the staff. We had so much fun and many laughs with this great staff who went out of their way to make our stay perfect! We loved Freddy in the bar and at breakfast and Greg drove us to some Great restaurants!
I hope you will read through the reviews, be objective and make your decision. It's always hard to beat the value at Embassy Suites with Great rates, an awesome managers reception and also a delicious breakfast! Our room was clean, our bed comfy. No complaints here! Thanks Embassy Suites staff for an awesome stay in Memphis!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family