The Midtown Inn by FairBridge
US$225
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
All reviewsrodeway innrooms are hugebeale streetcoffee makershort driveno elevatornever felt unsafestay there againdowntown areasofa bedthe wi finice roomvalet parkingmicrowavegracelandaccommodations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 12 October 2009

We checked in on 10/09 and checked out on 10/11/09, stayed in a non-smoking room with two queen beds with our two black labs. In a lot of other reviews people mentioned that the neighborhood that this hotel is in is a little scary and/or questionable but to us it seemed as though it doesn’t matter where you are in Memphis every area is considered questionable. The owners have posted signs that state the place is monitored by security cameras and we did see security cameras so that added a sense of security. There is a very large parking garage right across the street for the hospital that adds a lot of light to the area, don’t let that deter you though, the rooms have black out curtains and we thought it helped the security level of the area as well. By the parking garage there’s a long grassy area to take your pets. The hospital’s ER is about a block away but we’re surprised that we didn’t hear many sirens. We never got a chance to try the internet. Their breakfast is very small. It’s close to many downtown attractions and you have quick access to I-240 to get to others just as quickly. After entering the room we were overwhelmed with the smell of really bad, strong air freshener, it takes awhile to get use to; it’s best to air out the room for awhile. The rooms were large and ours included a small refrigerator (which was iced over) and microwave. The beds were clean and were made everyday however the tile floors needed a good cleaning and we did find many long black hairs in the bedding and on the floor. The owners were very friendly people and appeared to keep good watch over the area when someone came and gone and quickly came to change out the batteries in our chirping smoke detector. Pricing for hotels throughout Memphis don’t seem to match the quality that reviewers were posting online but this place appears to be making an effort with their given location and other circumstances to make this the better place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
RodewayInnMemphis, Manager at The Midtown Inn by FairBridge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2010

Thanks You very much for taking time and writing
This is the most accurate and honest review we had received so far
there are crime every where not only in "Memphis" all over US
so instead of complaining about safety it is more important to be cautious when you are travelling

manager
Rodeway Inn

Reviewed 16 September 2009

Having booked this online as it was dirt cheap, we werent expecting much. It wasnt easy to find, but we were very, very pleasently surprised! The rooms were lavish,better than rooms we had paid 3 times the price for elsewhere. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The WiFi was free, but we couldnt access it from the room we had booked at the other end of the hotel, so they updated us to a bigger room free of charge. The beds are so comfortable and everything was spotless. They even kept an eye on our car when we went out for a walk - a young boy stood in the car park! (we didnt ask him to, that would be mean, but thats the level of helpfulness we experienced!) A fantastic hotel, right on the main bus route to the city centre and Gracelands (which, by the way, is not all that great...). We had a highly enjoyable stay at this hotel, as stated by other reviewers, a diamond in the rough!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2009

For starters, as of June 2009 this is now the Rodeway Inn - same building; same address; new management.

The accommodations were very nice, and front staff even kindly bumped me up to a much nicer room at no cost. I didn't even ask, so that was a nice surprise. The room and bed comfortable and had large beds, a desk and table, flat-screen TV, mini-fridge. The wireless internet did NOT work at all in my room.

However, I was specifically looking for a hotel with low prices that offered free parking and a free airport shuttle (I was driving to Memphis and flying out). Their website advertises both. When I called, I explained that I would be away for five days, and asked if there would be any charge for the parking during my absence or for the shuttle, and was told there would not. However, after my trip I found that they had charged me an additional $25 - $5 a day for parking. Perhaps I was naive to expect free parking during my 5 days away, but that's exactly why I chose this hotel, and I had specifically inquired. The extra $25 put it out of my price range, but protests to both the Rodeway Inn and to Choice Hotels (through which I booked) were in vain. I had to eat it. The manager says he told me about the charge, but with his thick accent I honestly did not understand that at all. I thought he said a $5 extra parking charge (total, not per day). I considered it a gratuity and actually paid that as a tip before I left, only to have an additional $25 charged that I never signed for.

They did provide a shuttle to and from the airport, but they do not (at least in July, 09) have an officially marked hotel van or bus. It was just someone on staff picking me up in his private vehicle. I was fine with that, but not everyone would be.

If you're not planning on parking there, it's a nice hotel with reasonable rates. But realize that if you are traveling, "free parking" is actually $5 daily parking. Not bad, just frustrating when I had specifically asked and had not been told.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 November 2008

The customer service alone is worth a million bucks! They went out of their way to make sure the stay was an enjoyable one! The gentlemen at the front desk was VERY friendly. The rooms are spacious and CLEAN! If you can look past the outside, which could use a tad of a pick me up - its a great place for your buck!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank NewMexico505
Reviewed 13 October 2008

Don't be put off by the appearence of the exterior or the location of this hotel, if you can make it past those two little things, you will not be sorry. Upon entering your room, you will find Valhalla! (Cue awe inspiring music) Well, maybe thats a bit over the top, but its pretty darn close. The hotel has been partially renovated recently, and the money was spent on the spacious, clean and well appointed rooms. A little more work on the outside and this place could be considered a retro/funky boutique motel (if there's such a thing as a boutique motel) The staff is pleasant and eager to please. The hotel is convenient to the downtown area and other popular sights in Memphis. Dollar for dollar, the Holiday Capri competes with some of the better accomodations in the area, no joke. Bottom line? Lots of bang for the buck.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank fishlip4u