“Fantastic experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Wisconsin
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

Let me start by saying I am kind of a travel geek in that, because I travel a lot, I have kept a list ranking all the hotels I have stayed in. Long at the top of my list had been the Regent Beverly Wilshire in Beverly Hills. Well no longer. The Peabody has taken over my top spot.

It was my first ever trip to Memphis, primarily for business but with a little time to squeeze in some sights as well.

Arriving at the Peabody you are greeted by a huge beautiful lobby, a staff that is gracious, inviting and helpful and of course the famous duck fountain. The check in agents were extremely pleasant and accommodating. My room was on the 5th floor and I loved it. Yes, this is an older hotel but that is part of the charm. Being part of the history and all the people that have stayed there before you. I enjoyed the duck theme being carried out into the room with the little duck soaps and the duck pillow case.

The bed was extremely comfortable. I liked that there was an abundance of pillows and the amenities in the bathroom were top notch. While it is true that the bathroom is extremely small I think to base a bad review on that would be nothing but nitpicking. I enjoyed some nice conversations with many of the workers throughout the property and they were all so nice.

The concierge was very helpful in getting me to both the Civil Rights Museum and Sun Studios.

When my stay was up I didn't want to leave. It's also nice that you can walk the two blocks to Beale Street. Can't wait to go back to the Peabody.

Room Tip: Be sure to take in the duck walk while you are there. Get there early as it gets crowded. Sometimes...
3 Thank Cheesehead88
Angus_Blair1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Dear Cheesehead88,
Thank you for your detailed review and high praise. It is an honor for The Peabody to be on top of your list of hotels you have stayed in. I am pleased that you enjoyed your time in Memphis, taking advantage of The Peabody’s close proximity to Beale Street, the National Civil Rights Museum and Sun Studios. I appreciate the kind words you had for the hotel and our staff. We look forward to your next visit to the “South’s Grand Hotel.”

angus.blair@peabodymemphis.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
Elkhart, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here several days while on business. Everything here is top notch. All (and I mean all) the staff are very friendly and helpful. Rooms and amenities are first class. Although the hotel itself is quite old, it has been remodeled and maintained exquisedly. Watching the daily march of the ducks from the rooftop, down the elevator and into the fountain in the lobby is a "Must see". I could go into detail about this or the other being great, but I'll just say it was a pleasure to stay here.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights in January for a business trip.

Hotel is superb. The service offered by all staff is fantastic.

Rooms and communal areas are very clean, beautiful furniture and excellent food. Situated within walking distance of the main nightlife areas and some wonderful restaurants. Should the need arise for me to return to Memphis, i will most certainly stay here again.

The daily duck march is a must see!

My only comment would be that the room i stayed in did not have tea / coffee making facilities although this was available in the cafe on the ground floor.

Highly recommended!

1 Thank Jenny E
Angus_Blair1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Dear Jenny E,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your business trip to The Peabody. As a four-star hotel, we want our guests to receive the highest service level possible. So as you mentioned, we serve our guests fresh coffee and tea in The Peabody Deli and Desserts. Upon your next visit, if you’d prefer a coffee pot in your room, please contact our Housekeeping Department and we will be happy to provide one for you at no cost.

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

Had already booked and paid for a room but when arrived was given an option tom upgrade which we did and stayed in a suite with concierge service. The room was the size of an apartment and was very clean. the only down side was the bathroom, which considering the size of the suite, was quite small and dissapointing. The hotel is beautiful and must be seen, the duck march is also another must see. We would definately stay again.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com

1 Thank angela141250
Dear angela141250,

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that you took advantage of the upgrade you were offered and enjoyed your stay. I hope that your travels bring you back to Memphis, and that you stay at The Peabody again soon.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

The Peabody has a lot of history. My wife and I received a great weekend deal for our 3-year anniversary in 2011 and we spent the weekend there. The hotel is centrally located downtown, which makes it close to all the restaurants and the night-life. In fact, I discovered "Flight", which is now one of my 3 favorite restaurants in Memphis. The rooms are a little small, and, for my money, the famous Peabody ducks are a little overrated, but, otherwise, we had a great time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
New London, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

This grand old hotel is as pretty inside as they get. Enjoyed my time there and the assistance from the staff was as good as it gets. Rooms are a little on the small side and the bathrooms are unforgivingly small. It can get a bit noisy from the other rooms and the hallway traffic. Love the open bar area and lounging in the lobby. Nice touch. And of course the "Ducks" should not be missed.

Room Tip: Check for size as the room and bath can be very small
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank joela1945
Dear joela,

Thank you for telling us about your stay at The Peabody. Being a historic hotel, some of our guest rooms are smaller than the ones you’d find in a more modern designed hotel. We have made many renovations and restorations since opening at this location in 1925, the most prominent being reducing our number of rooms from 625 to 464 to allow for larger rooms. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the “South’s Grand Hotel” and had the opportunity to spend time at our Lobby Bar. I hope that you visit The Peabody again soon.

Kind regards,
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

When those little ducks come toppling out of the elevator and splashing into the fountain it is a truly memorable and majestic experience. The "World-Famous" Peabody Ducks, and well they should be. Imagine hundreds of people crowded into the lobby of the "Gateway to the South", six-year-olds alongside septuagenarians, all holding camera phones, tittering and teeheeing like fat girls in a sweetshop.

I must admit I was skeptical. My wife wanted to see the ducks. I had heard about their $250,000 "duck palace" on the roof, and was prepared for a prolonged assault on theology and good-sense.

Fact is that all your other impressions good and bad--the vast historical knowledge of the hotel valets, the nearsighted bar staff, the duck-shaped bathsoaps, the 80s themed gift shop and the charming if slightly dusty mid-century rooms--will all fade away as the elevator slides open and the first "quack" of the millionaire waterfowl resounds through the lobby and fully 2/5ths of the crowd wet themselves, ducks included.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple