“Charming Historical Hotel”

The Peabody Memphis
Ranked #6 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 26 March 2013

I stayed here for a work function and ended up having to extend my stay 5 days due to Hurricane Sandy. The hotel was very accommodating and was able to provide rooms for me and my co-workers even though they were in a close to sold-out scenario.

The hotel was very grand and gave the feeling of historic elegance. The duck walk was an added piece to the charm of the overall hotel and the nightly piano players were also entertaining. I highly recommend visiting the duck palace on the roof. Even though the palace isn’t much to see the views from the roof deck are worth the elevator ride. Speaking of elevator ride, we really got a kick out of the floor announcements when riding in the elevator - especially when the 'main lobby' was announced - just another piece of the Peabody's charm.

The room was spacious and comfortable. The bathroom provided tight quarters with minimum counter space but that really isn’t a complaint. The location of the hotel was perfect with it being located only a short walk to Beale St. and other attractions - which we partook in almost all of since we were stranded in Memphis for an additional 5 days. The quality of the food in the hotel was high caliber and I never left a meal unsatisfied. There were also tons of restaurants within walking distance so you had plenty of authentic variety to choose from. If you are looking for a charming, historic hotel that is centrally located to all the tourist attractions I would highly recommend the Peabody.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank D S
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Dear D S,

Thank you for staying at The Peabody. I am sorry for the circumstances of your extended stay, but I am pleased that we were able to provide rooms for you an your co-workers and you were able to enjoy Memphis a little longer. I appreciate the pictures you included with your review, and hope that you have the opportunity to visit The Peabody again soon.

scott.boucher@peabodymemphis.com

Write a ReviewReviews (3,357)

Reviewed 26 March 2013

the very recently renovated room was lovely, however the shock we had the next morning when entering the bathroom was simply disgusting ..... the washbasin was full of rubbish, we'll spare you the nastiest details, that we could only assume had surfaced from the drainage system during the night. Anxious not to delay making the most of our limited time in Memphis we cleaned it ourselves, however, that was a mistake, when we got back in the evening we found a similar, albeit marginally less disgusting basin. This time we did complain and had to chase repeatedly for the engineer to arrive. He was unable to clear the drains on his own and had to call for the assistance of a colleague and a pressure pump. They both agreed it was a serious blockage, possibly caused by the recent renovation work, however, were able to eventually clear it. The Peabody regards itself as a premiere hotel and charges rates to reflect this, however, the inability to adequately acknowledge failings in standards and address them appropriately is very disappointing.

2  Thank hongkongtravelled
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Dear hongkongtravelled,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced, and assure you that this is highly unusual and not typical of a Peabody stay. Upon your next visit, I’d urge you to please alert us at the first sight of complications in your guest room. As you found out, our staff is happy to assist in any way possible, including changing rooms. I again apologize for the complications you encountered and hope that you have the opportunity to visit Memphis again soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 25 March 2013

We found a brlliant deal on line and the Peabody hotel wee so welcoming to us and our three children. They ensured we got a family room and the facilities were top class. The duck walk each day added to our trip. The hote wasslocated near TGI Fridays and a breakfast bar so food wise were soted. Any trips we wishe to do the hotel helped sort buses etc...

Room Tip: Research for great deals on line, askthe hotel toaccomodate your needs, forexmple we wish that the 3...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Sue Anne O,

Thank you for visiting the “South’s Grand Hotel.” I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay and hope you visit The Peabody again soon.

Reviewed 21 March 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed in The Peabody for 3 nights last week and we couldn't find a single flaw! The Hotel was wonderful,Rooms very spacious, bright and comfortable! The staff couldn't be more pleasant if the tried and The Duck experience was wonderful! The hotel is in a great location, within walking distance to the shops and nightlife. I would most definitely stay at the hotel again. :)

2  Thank Avril M
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Hotel is perfectly located in the tourist area. everythiing is in walking distance except graceland.
The old world charm is nice and the lobby bar is very comfortable.
Drinks are about $11.00 for a glass of wine!
Rooms are small and old world or run down depends on your outlook.
No room has a view. they will ask you if you want a higher room ofr 85.oo more but all you can see is the mississippi river from 12 blocks away the rest is roof tops.
Not a pretty area but lots of history.

Room Tip: Any room will look out to buildings and more building. use this hotel as you central hub. kepp the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank marktravelslots

Dear marktravelslots,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Peabody. As you mentioned the “South’s Grand Hotel” is centrally located in downtown Memphis, and is a short walk to many of the city’s most famous attractions. Most of our guest rooms have views of Downtown Memphis, however our rooftop provides one of the best views on the Mississippi River in the city. I hope that you visit The Peabody again soon.

Reviewed 18 March 2013

Where do I start? From the moment we pulled up to the valet to the moment we left - everything was perfect:
Location - it's perfect. Everything you could possibly need for a short stay or business trip is under one roof, but if you want to 'tour' Memphis, the hotel is perfectly situated.
Valet - fast, courteous service
Check-in/Front Desk - friendly, efficient and accommodating. We had booked our room online moments before pulling in, so I wasn't surprised at all when she told me our reservation had come through. Despite how busy the hotel was (spring break at 5:30, right after the duck parade), she got us a room and comp’d the valet because of the 'inconvenience.'
Concierge - assisted us regarding the horse-drawn carriage rides (btw - they line up right in front of the hotel) and introduced the kids to the Duck Master.
Bar - Wonderful! They offer a fun selection of Tennessee Whiskey cocktails, as well as a full selection of the usual items. Warning: I ordered one of the TN Whiskey drinks w/ a top-shelf bourbon instead and my drink was $18! I'm used to boutique hotels, but that's the most I've paid for an old-fashioned. Still, paid for it and enjoyed every drop while doing some great people-watching.
Restaurant-We had our young kids w/ us, so we opted for a theme restaurant (regrettably) rather than Chez Philip, but we had breakfast at the Capriccio Grill and really enjoyed it. Some of us had the buffet, while others ordered from the menu and we were all pleased. Again, the service provided was top-notch.
Room - Perfect! Spotless rooms w/ comfortable beds and quality linens, modern bathrooms, and a wonderful TV w/ good selection of channels.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 7th floor and it was quiet; I'd avoid rooms where the noice from the bar and lo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Angus_Blair1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

Dear goldcanary1975,

Thank you for your detailed review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and received exceptional service throughout your visit. I hope that you stay at The Peabody again and have an opportunity to dine in Chez Philippe soon.

Angus Blair
901-529-3616
angus.blair@peabodymemphis.com

Reviewed 17 March 2013

I woke up at 6am to the sound of hammers above me. I stayed here as a child and wanted to let my children have the experience, but sleep is very valuable to me. I would not have chosen this hotel if I had been informed of the renovations.
I enjoyed the hotel other than the morning renovations.

Dear Britli,

I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. The Peabody is currently undergoing room restorations, but it is décor-oriented focusing on paint and furnishings, rather than construction, so any noise should be minimal. To further reduce disturbances to our guests during the project, we are making the changes one floor at a time and taking the floor below the work area out of service during the process. I am pleased that you enjoyed the rest of your stay and hope you visit The Peabody again.

Kind regards,