“Fun duck show” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Houston, Texas
“Fun duck show”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I stayed at the hotel for one night this October to visit my friends in Memphis. The location is very good - close to the beale street - in walking distance. The duck show there is full of fun. I enjoyed my stay there.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

The staff was incredibly nice & courteous. The room was beautiful & clean,location couldn't be better for walks to Beale St or the Orpheum Theater. We had room service (pizza & breakfast) twice - food was beautifully presented & was delicious. The ducks are what brought us to stay there, & we loved the hotel so much that we'd gladly come back. Just really pleased with the whole experience!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

I attended a conference at the Peabody. First time to hotel and to Memphis. It is an old hotel, but has been fairly maintained. The area it is located in is close to local attractions, but I did not venture out other than across the street to a grossly overpriced "convenient" store.
Upon check in, the young lady was training, so it took a bit longer (I was okay with this). However, when I got to my room (which I took all my own luggage up the elevators with me), my key did not work. I called down to front desk from my cell phone and told them my key did not work. The operator was rude, and just said "well come back downstairs". I informed her that I carried all my own bags/luggage with NO help (and I was alone) and I was not doing that. So, a nice bellman came up, and he used his master key to enter the room. Guess what greeted us? A guest who had not checked out (and appeared no way close in doing so! It was 5pm)! Thank goodness we did not stumble into something more embarrassing! So, we ended up having to go back downstairs anyway, where I had to stand BACK in line. Then, as i told the desk lady what happened, she giggled and said "oh, that happens all the time". Really?!?! Maybe I have been spoiled by nice resorts or hotels, but this just seems a little bit below the bar.

The room service staff was friendly. The food was fair at best (and I do not have fancy food preferences) and very expensive. The duck show was cute, but certainly would not draw me back into staying there. I had one drink at the bar which was expensive, but the bartender was nice and drink was okay. I made one trip to the deli/bakery for breakfast to get a bagel. Staff was not friendly and spoke so low (mumble) that I had to ask twice for them to repeat themselves (others in line had same problem). We visited the piano bar inside the hotel once (at night), the entertainer was friendly and the waitress was obviously overworked (she was alone on a Saturday night!) but very nice. The noise level on the floor (8th) was ridiculous, as I was awakened to drunk guests yelling and screaming in halls at 1am, and it continued on/off all night.

Overall, it was okay but I don't think I would stay there again, just based on the whole check in fiasco and how it was handled. Nobody ever apologized for the mix up! I have been at hotels (Westin, for example) that would have fell OVER if something like that happened. I am sure this hotel attracts guests because of the history, which is good for their business, because I can't say any other aspect really impressed me.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear CRobertsRN,

Thank you for staying at The Peabody during your first visit to Memphis. I apologize for your experience during check-in, and can assure you that it most definitely does not happen all the time. I am disappointed in the way it was handled, and appreciate you bringing it my attention as it will be a training aid for our staff. I hope that you have the opportunity to visit Memphis again, and that you will give The Peabody another chance to show you why we are known as the “South’s Grand Hotel.”

Kind regards,
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

The Peabody has a few warts, but it is more than worth the price. I think the trick is just to enjoy yourself and not expect a businessman-style hotel.

The ducks are charming (although I wish the hotel staff wouldn't give an identical spiel at the 11 AM trooping-in and the 5 PM trooping-out). The lobby is a wonderful place to hang out (although it's packed at the duck trooping times). There are two restaurants and a coffee shop. The rooftop terrace is worth a trip on its own.

The beds are comfortable. The linens are top notch. The regular ("superior") rooms are not large but are very well appointed and comfortable. People have pointed out that the bathrooms are small, but did they notice the beautiful marble?

Right now and until the end of the year they have an incredible deal - $144 a night including parking, the communication fee, and some other stuff. It's nearly half price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank r h
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

My daughter and her family stayed at The Peabody after spending Thanksgiving with family in Tennessee. They lost their 16 year old son in a horrific accident earlier this year, and Graham with the Conscierge's staff, and other hotel employees, really went above and beyond to make their stay memorable and comfortable.

My 12 year old granddaughter got to participate in the tree lighting ceremony, and she will never forget that!

I highly recommend The Peabody for any travelers who want a special experience, whether it is for a night, a weekend, or longer.

The rooms are always clean and comfortable, and the staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

I've stayed here more times than I can recall; however, this review is for two recent stays. The hotel continues to excel in every way, and I've gotten to where I don't even look anywhere else when I'm making my travel arrangements. The hotel is clean and features charming and grand common areas that harken to another era. The lobby bar is always buzzing, even when the ducks aren't swimming in the fountain in the middle. The food at the hotel is great, but with so many world-class options around, I'd recommend venturing out. That said, if you stay in, there are a lot of good food selections.

The hotel is pet friendly, which is a huge plus. But the pet policy should be improved. I was not crazy about the large fee they charge for pets. It would be much better if they charged a deposit, so that if you have a pretty even-keeled and nondestructive dog like I do, I wouldn't have to pay a lot of extra money just to have a dog sit in the room next to me minding his own business. One other knit is that the dog relief area is pretty small, but I doubt there's a lot that can be done about that given the downtown location of the hotel. They probably could do something about the bird that "attacks" dogs in the grass area, but it's honestly pretty fun to watch that little guy flip out every time a dog comes onto his "turf."

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank RamblingRazorback
Dear Rambling Razorback,

Thank you for your continued loyalty to The Peabody. I am pleased that you enjoyed your most recent visits and appreciate your recommendations for our pet policy. We look forward to your next stay at the “South’s Grand Hotel.”

Thanks again,
St. Louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Old Hollywood meets old Memphis! We recently spent 2 nights at the Peabody in the Romeo & Juliet suite, a 2-story suite that looked like a set in a 1940's movie. It was very glamorous, although as other reviews have noted, the bathroom was a big disappointment; tiny and old.

We enjoyed complimentary wine and snacks in the club lounge, but found dinner and breakfast at the Capriccio restaurant to be very mediocre.

A must for first-timers, the duck parade draws a crowd to the lobby and can be a bit overwhelming if you are trying to enter or exit.

Overall, I would say that The Peabody is an interesting, throw-back hotel that is worth at least one visit by Memphis travelers.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Dartmom,

Thank you for telling us about your recent visit to the “South’s Grand Hotel.” I am pleased that you enjoyed your time at The Peabody and your accommodations in our Romeo & Juliet suite. As you mentioned, The Peabody Club Floor includes a welcome cocktail, along with snacks and beverages throughout your stay. I hope that you have the chance to visit The Peabody again soon.

Thanks again,