“Duck March... worth the few minutes”

The Peabody Memphis
Ranked #4 of 137 Hotels in Memphis
Sanford, Maine
“Duck March... worth the few minutes”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Hello, while visiting Memphis this past weekend, i was told to visit the lobby of the Peabody to encounter the Duck March... What is the duck march you ask, there is a beautiful Lobby with a water fountain in the middle. There are 5 ducks that call this home during the day greating guests as they arrive. Two times a day the ducks march in the morning to the fountain and then in the afternoon approx. 5pm to go back to there palace for the evening... Very cute... Hotel lobby beautiful. I had the pleasure of seeing it decorated for Christmas... Nothing like walking in to a grand hotel with a huge christmas tree and elegent decorations...

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
Amarillo, TX
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I just came home from yet another visit to the Peabody. I've been going there for years as my mother before me. (She 1st visited there in 1925). There is no place on earth like the Peabody. It is elegance and grace at it's finest. To call the Peabody a beautiful hotel is vast understatement (especially now with the Christmas decorations everywhere). The rooms we had were all different and all lovely, from the oh so comfy beds to the marble in the bathrooms. All of the employees go above and beyond to make sure your stay is delightful. The Peabody ducks and the Duckmaster are a decades old tradition and not to be missed. Doug, the Duckmaster, is a historian and you should not miss his tour. He knows everything about the Peabody and it's very interesting (and he's very nice). As before, I'll be back and always look forward to being there. (The Rendevous is across the street down the alley...world famous bar-b-que and yummy!).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear LabsR1st,

Thank you for your kind review of your recent stay at The Peabody. We appreciate your families loyalty to the “South’s Grand Hotel” and look forward to your next visit.

Thanks again,
Lurgan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We decided to visit this hotel after reading about the Peabody ducks show & wanted to see what it was all about.We managed to get a good seat near the red carpet to watch the ducks stroll down from the elevator & jump into the fountain in the centre of the lobby.The highlight of the show was the Duckmaster who gave you a brief history of the origins of the duck march. We stayed on for a tour of the hotel ($10) & glad we did as we got to hear & see the history that surrounds this famous hotel. the tour called into the Lansky Bros shop which is famous for clothing Elvis & Johnny Cash at the start of their careers.The hotel is beautiful & well worth a visit.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear hawkmatthews,

Thank you for visiting The Peabody during your trip to Memphis. I am pleased that you joined us for the world-famous Duck March and had the opportunity to go on our Duckmaster‘s daily history tour. I hope your travels bring you to Memphis again soon, and that you choose to stay at The Peabody upon your next visit.

Thanks again,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My husband myself and his son stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. It is a pet friendly hotel which was very important to us. The ''duck show'' is hilarious and not to be missed! The rooms are large and comfortable with nice bed linens. All of the employees were very kind and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 14 December 2013

I stayed at the hotel for one night this October to visit my friends in Memphis. The location is very good - close to the beale street - in walking distance. The duck show there is full of fun. I enjoyed my stay there.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 11 December 2013

The staff was incredibly nice & courteous. The room was beautiful & clean,location couldn't be better for walks to Beale St or the Orpheum Theater. We had room service (pizza & breakfast) twice - food was beautifully presented & was delicious. The ducks are what brought us to stay there, & we loved the hotel so much that we'd gladly come back. Just really pleased with the whole experience!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I attended a conference at the Peabody. First time to hotel and to Memphis. It is an old hotel, but has been fairly maintained. The area it is located in is close to local attractions, but I did not venture out other than across the street to a grossly overpriced "convenient" store.
Upon check in, the young lady was training, so it took a bit longer (I was okay with this). However, when I got to my room (which I took all my own luggage up the elevators with me), my key did not work. I called down to front desk from my cell phone and told them my key did not work. The operator was rude, and just said "well come back downstairs". I informed her that I carried all my own bags/luggage with NO help (and I was alone) and I was not doing that. So, a nice bellman came up, and he used his master key to enter the room. Guess what greeted us? A guest who had not checked out (and appeared no way close in doing so! It was 5pm)! Thank goodness we did not stumble into something more embarrassing! So, we ended up having to go back downstairs anyway, where I had to stand BACK in line. Then, as i told the desk lady what happened, she giggled and said "oh, that happens all the time". Really?!?! Maybe I have been spoiled by nice resorts or hotels, but this just seems a little bit below the bar.

The room service staff was friendly. The food was fair at best (and I do not have fancy food preferences) and very expensive. The duck show was cute, but certainly would not draw me back into staying there. I had one drink at the bar which was expensive, but the bartender was nice and drink was okay. I made one trip to the deli/bakery for breakfast to get a bagel. Staff was not friendly and spoke so low (mumble) that I had to ask twice for them to repeat themselves (others in line had same problem). We visited the piano bar inside the hotel once (at night), the entertainer was friendly and the waitress was obviously overworked (she was alone on a Saturday night!) but very nice. The noise level on the floor (8th) was ridiculous, as I was awakened to drunk guests yelling and screaming in halls at 1am, and it continued on/off all night.

Overall, it was okay but I don't think I would stay there again, just based on the whole check in fiasco and how it was handled. Nobody ever apologized for the mix up! I have been at hotels (Westin, for example) that would have fell OVER if something like that happened. I am sure this hotel attracts guests because of the history, which is good for their business, because I can't say any other aspect really impressed me.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear CRobertsRN,

Thank you for staying at The Peabody during your first visit to Memphis. I apologize for your experience during check-in, and can assure you that it most definitely does not happen all the time. I am disappointed in the way it was handled, and appreciate you bringing it my attention as it will be a training aid for our staff. I hope that you have the opportunity to visit Memphis again, and that you will give The Peabody another chance to show you why we are known as the “South’s Grand Hotel.”

Kind regards,