“Lovely experience but....”

Ranked #4 of 137 Hotels in Memphis
Menangle, New South Wales, Australia
“Lovely experience but....”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We had been recommended this hotel for its great southern charm and yes it has that down pat. Lovely big rooms ,very comfy beds . Elegant hotel with all the fittings for luxury stay. Saw the duck march and was very impressed. All staff were lovely. Great amount of retail stores for that souvenir purchase. But..... The SMALLEST bathroom I have EVER stayed in. Great shower pressure ( this is a good thing as we had been travelling for 3 weeks down east coast of USA and everywhere else had bad pressure. Went to the baseball game across the road and down to Beale st during the day but had been advised it was not safe at night. this hotel has no appealing features surrounding it- we did Graceland tour and really think Memphis itself has nothing else to offer.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Michelle C,

Thank you for telling us about your recent trip to The Peabody. I am glad that you chose to visit Memphis and the “South’s Grand Hotel” during your trip along the Eastern United States. However, I am disappointed to hear that you didn’t discover all that Memphis has to offer. Memphis has over 50 attractions worth visiting. In addition to Beale Street, Graceland and Redbirds baseball, there is Sun Studio, STAX Museum of American Soul Music, National Civil Rights Museum, Cotton Museum, FedEx Forum, Orpheum Theatre, Memphis Rock N Soul Museum, Memphis Zoo, Mud Island River Park & Museum, Gibson Guitar Factory, and many more. Most of those attractions are in downtown, within walking distance or a trolley ride from The Peabody, and are in fact very safe to venture out to. Perhaps you will be able to spend more time exploring on your next visit.

scott.boucher@peabodymemphis.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I was so excited when I pricelined downtown Memphis and got the Peabody. I am NOT one to spend a lot on a room for an overnight stay if I KNOW I am only going to be there to sleep. This was the case as we were traveling home to OK from WV. We did Graceland when we got there and Sat. night watching BB and listening to blues on Beale Street. I am SO happy we got to experience the Peabody .The hotel is beautiful! They make a BIG deal about the ducks (so YES we stayed to watch) and I loved how they encouraged the kids to take a seat on the carpet. Architecture is beautiful. Lobby area is so nice. (We had a late night drink and unfortunately bar waitress and hubs had a "your word against mine" cash issue...we got stiffed!) but whatever....that can happen anywhere. Our room was great! LOVED all the special touches....but next morning we wanted coffee and no maker in our room.a ...so that was a bit of a downer. PRICEY coffee in the lobby but STILL.....LOVED IT!!!! I would stay there again in a heartbeat!!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sebastopol, California
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We hosted a business incentive trip during the Beale St. Music Festival in early May. The location is excellent and there was a lot of excitement due to celebrities in town staying at the hotel. The rooms were well appointed and the hotel has an old fashioned graciousness about it. My room was a bit awkwardly laid out, but well appointed and quiet despite the chaos with the crowds in town for the music festival. The lobby was very lively, with cute shops (Lansky's) a very friendly staff and a hopping bar area, plus the ducks on parade twice a day make for good fun. There is complimentary coffee service in the morning at the bakery/deli shop. Breakfast was disappointing. I'm not a fan of breakfast buffets in general, but a good omelet station can make up for lukewarm potatoes, bacon and grits in warming dishes. Unfortunately the omelets took ages to make (45 minutes and then they delivered it to the wrong person who then consumed it!) and the service was off. Try breakfast somewhere else. I was not motivated to try other dining experiences at the hotel after breakfast. Otherwise service in the hotel was very good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear 996lisae,

Thank you for hosting your business incentive trip at The Peabody. Memphis in May is always a busy time in the city, but I am pleased that you found a place of retreat at the hotel. I apologize for the delay and mishap while you dined for breakfast. This is not a normal occurrence at Capriccio Grill and your review will serve as a training tool for our staff. I hope you have the opportunity to visit The Peabody again soon.

Thanks again,
Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The lobby is wonderful, the daily duck event is a novelty worth seeing and draws big crowds; self-parking nearby is easy with a walkway to the hotel interior;the rooftop is a great place to sit and watch the sunset over the Mississippi. Staff demeanour is exemplary.
However the Peabody shares problems one encounters in most old hotels; the bedroom was quite small (though very quiet) and the bathroom really tiny. The little 'runway lights' were a nice touch but really you could enjoy the hotel's main attractions without having to actually stay here.
The real shame is that the hotel feels the need to charge extra for everything - even the little plastic ducks in the room.It's not cheap to stay here and surely they could include these and the coffee in the deli each morning for free instead of charging c. $11 a day for it?

Room Tip: Don't try to check in when the duckmaster is going through his routine!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sicarius1
Dear sicarius1,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay at The Peabody. As you mentioned, The Peabody is a historic hotel and because of this our rooms are uniquely sized and laid out. Some of the Traditional style rooms are smaller than those at more modern hotels, but larger Superior, Deluxe, and Executive room types are available. Like other luxury hotels, we do have a service fee that includes amenities such as wifi, shoe shine, newspaper service, usage of the athletic club, and morning coffee. I’m pleased that you enjoyed your time in Memphis and had the opportunity to watch the sunset over the Mississippi River from our Rooftop. I appreciate you adding pictures to your review and hope you visit The Peabody again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

What a lovely spot! My girlfriends and I planned a girls weekend in Memphis and knew we needed to stay at the Peabody and we're thrilled that we did. The hotel itself is classic and beautiful. The bar has great drinks, friendly service, and the hotel appointments are very nice. The room we had was clean, pretty, seemed fresh, and the beds were extremely comfortable. The only criticism is that the bathroom is teeny tiny. For 4 women to get ready it was tough. It'd be tough for just one person! That said, it's really pretty, has everything you need, and the complimentary toiletry products were nice, as were the towels. As for the Peabody ducks, I felt sad for them though they seemed to enjoy swimming in circles in the fountain as well as the fanfare they got when they marched - and the people love the spectacle. Definitely would stay again as well as recommend to anyone going to Memphis.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear WDCReviewer,

Thank you for choosing to spend your girls weekend at The Peabody. I am pleased you enjoyed your time at the hotel and in Memphis. I think you will be pleased to know that the Peabody Ducks only spend three months here at the hotel before returning to the farm where they were raised on to live out the rest of their lives as wild ducks. While here they receive the highest level of care without ever being domesticated. We do not treat them as pets, and we never name, hand-feed, reward, or handle them because we recognize them as wild animals. I hope you get chance to see the Peabody Ducks again soon.

Thanks again,
Bayport, New York
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I use to travel to Memphis on at least a yearly basis and would try to stay here as much as possible. Often the hotel was booked solid. I would always visit for cocktails in their magnificent Lobby and Lobby Bar, followed by dinner, even if I wasn't staying there. My wife, an animal lover, could not believe the parade of the ducks to the fountain and back to the roof at the end of the day. Staying here allows the visitor, a short walk to Beale Street for a night on the town for great Memphis music and fun.

Room Tip: Some of rooms were smaller than some modern day hotels, but the overall experience is unforgettable.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Bolivar, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I have stayed at the Peobody numerous times and have been very impressed by the service and hospitality. Recently I reserved a room for May 3rd. After realizing I would be out of town that weekend I called back and cancelled those reservations. The lady on the phone was very helpful and promised me my reservation would be cancelled and my credit card would not be charged. I revieved my statement today in the mail and I was charged. I called the hotel and tried to explain my situation. They said there was no record of my cancellation and I would still be charged 487.00! I explained that I was speciffically told my reservation had been cancelled and tried to give them all the information I could. They wouldnt budge. I have always been a dedicated customer and have spent thousands of dollars with them in the past. I feel like ive been really taken advantage of and I dont see myself staying there in the future!

• Stayed May 2014
8 Thank BlakeNaylor
Dear BlakeNaylor,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I again apologize for the confusion, and mischarge. I am pleased that we were able to discuss it directly and correct our error, and look forward to your next stay.