“Wonderful Pampering Weekend!”

Ranked #4 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Texas
“Wonderful Pampering Weekend!”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I decided to take a quick (under 48 hours) weekend trip to celebrate our 15th anniversary. We looked at many destinations, but a combination of factors led us to Memphis. Where else to stay but the iconic Peabody? It absolutely did not disappoint. We arrived around noon to check in. We were offered a paid upgrade to the club level, and we elected to take it! In my opinion, it was well worth the additional cost - it included a larger room and valet parking, along with breakfast and snacks throughout the day in the club level lounge. The parking for the Peabody is located in a parking garage about a block away from the hotel. You can hoof it outside or through a few meandering hallways inside the hotel. Or you can pay just a little more (or upgrade to club level) for valet - and in the August heat, or for a 5 a.m. departure like we had, it is worth every penny!

We were delighted that there was a room ready for us - all we wanted to do after being awake for 8 hours and on two flights was to lay down in a cool room on a soft bed. And the Peabody has soft, comfy beds! We've all stayed at those hotels with beds that seem like plywood...not the case here! We got good sleep both nights - rare away from home!

After a refreshing nap, we opened the door to a staff member delivering champagne and chocolate-dipped strawberries for our anniversary. We don't drink (and I'm pregnant, anyway!) but it was a lovely gesture! The staff member happily swapped out the champagne for extra bottles of water. Then we went out to see some sights. There is tons of stuff within walking distance!

We returned later to watch the ducks waddle from the fountain to the elevator - quite possibly the most enjoyable 60 seconds of the day! It may seem cliché, but it is really so fun to watch. Then we headed back upstairs for hors d'oeuvres in the club lounge - cheese, fruit, veggies, dip and mini shrimp n' grits and bbq bites. There are also soft drinks and Keurig coffee available, along with hot tea. And cookies and milk at bedtime! ;) I'm afraid there will be no living with me after this experience...a hotel stay with yummy treats all day AND valet parking??

The next day we had an all-day event to attend, so we were quite happy to see the substantial breakfast options offered. I was afraid it might only be bagels and pastries, but in addition to those, there were hard-boiled eggs, a variety of cured meats, smoked salmon, fruit, cheeses and assorted crackers. It was a great start to our day without being too heavy or greasy.

We had very pleasant interactions with all staff members and had no complaints about anything during our stay. Are there less expensive options in Memphis? Sure. But for the history, location and amenities, the Peabody can't be beat!

Room Tip: Go ahead and get a club level room. Ask for a river view!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear BlueEyedTexan,

Thank you for your detailed review, and for celebrating your anniversary with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your upgrade to our club floor. It is no surprise to us that you thoroughly enjoyed the Peabody Dream Bed. It is so popular that we have even had to start selling it online! I appreciate you adding pictures of your stay for future guests. I hope that you visit The Peabody again soon.

Thanks again,
scott.boucher@peabodymemphis.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
danvers,mass
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My family and I had traveled to Memphis last year and discovered the Peabody Hotel , my husband wanted to spend a few nights this year when we re-visited Memphis so I made reservations for two nights . Upon our arrival the valet attendants were very friendly but upon check in it was a different story I went to the counter to check and told the girl that I had reservations I would have assumed she would have asked my name but her reply was credit card I told her I had pre-paid but she still insisted on taking my credit card , once she was finished she handed me the room keys and that was it she did not tell me what floor we were on or what room number I had to look at the keys to figure it out . The rooms were okay ,beds were not that comfortable .We stayed around the hotel that day as we were tired from driving for two days and the hotel itself is beautiful . Later that evening my children wanted to go to the coke machine on our floor to get a drink they soon returned and told me the machine on our floor was out of order so they were going to the coke machine on the floor below us , twenty minutes passed by and my sons had not returned I began to get nervous and my husband told me they were probably in the lobby at the stores as I opened the door to leave our room my youngest son(14) was about to put his key in the door I looked at him and he was flushed and covered in sweat and was breathing heavy (he is asthmatic so I was concerned) I asked were he was and what happened he told me he got on the elevator and could not get off, I was told there was a party on the roof that night (open to the public) and all of the people pushed him into a corner on the elevator and he could not move , finally he had to scream and elbow people to get off the elevator I asked him how did he get back to the room and he informed me that there was now a security guard on the elevator, had I known this was going on I would never had stayed at this hotel within 10 minutes of my son returning I could hear the music . I immediately went to the front desk and told the woman there what had happened and her reply was "sorry" and she just looked at us with a blank stare I was beyond furious and asked my husband if the people that work in this hotel are brain dead .The next day we spent the day at Graceland and returned late due to the candle walking , we returned around 12:30 after stopping at Dominos for a few pizzas , we returned to a power outage there was no one at the valet everything was pitch black we were told there was an under ground explosion at 6:30 that night ( a guest that was watching her ill husband sleep in the lobby told us ) .I realize it was beyond the hotels control but we had to use the flash lights on our cell phones to see ,we sat in the lobby and ate by candle light (fortunately my children had extra candles from Graceland) The staff just ran around in circles they had maybe three little lanterns I have no clue what they were doing . When we wanted to return to our room the girl at the front desk told us to take the wrong staircase fortunately there was a security guard I believe and he showed us the correct staircase , he walked us up ten flights of stairs with his flash light I wanted to pass out we had all of our bags from that day and it was very warm as the air conditioners had been off since 6:30 , finally we reached our room and the lights came back on at 2:30 am . I would never ever stay at this hotel again , heaven forbid if you ever ask someone that works there for anything they just give you a look as if you are putting them out of there way and you have to wait forever for what you need , I would only return for Lansky Brothers a clothing store in the lobby .I do recommend stopping by there to look at the hotel but as for staying there never again , if they would train their employees to have personalities and people skills maybe business would pick up the only explanation for the night club I feel is that business must be real bad .

Room Tip: Stay at the Residence Inn around the corner , larger rooms , comfortable beds , very friendly .
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank april m
Dear april m,

I apologize for your experiences during your recent stay at The Peabody. It sounds like you were here on a very busy weekend with our Rooftop Party season finale and Elvis Week, and an atypically hectic night during the downtown power outage. A 75-year tradition, out Rooftop Parties occur every Thursday night during the summer. These parties are for guests aged 21 and up and the two elevators designated for the party are operated by our security staff. The other two elevators are reserved for hotel guests. I understand how this could be confusing and overwhelming for a child, but glad our security team was able to assist. Like you said, on the Friday night of your stay a large power outage occurred downtown, many blocks south of the hotel. This was obviously out of our control, but our staff did everything in their power to make our guests as comfortable as possible. The Peabody staff escorted each guests up stairwells and down hallways to their rooms with flashlights and even carried several of our guests who were in wheelchairs up many flights of stairs. I again apologize for the complications you experienced, but hope that you and your family decide to give The Peabody another chance soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We visited two days running - to see the ducks who were absolute stars in the famous lobby scene. It would be good to see their rooftop accommodation modernised to reflect a more suitable habitat for them. Rooftop visit at sunset for a drink is a treat, as is sitting in the lobby to admire the scenery... One of there waitresses made us feel very uncomfortable because we bought direct from the bar, we were happy to give her the next two rounds for our group, but her coldness really took something away from the experience.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear CW,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay at The Peabody. As you said, The Peabody Ducks are definitely the stars of the hotel and, because of this, have a $200,000 custom-built penthouse on the top of the hotel. The Peabody Duck Palace was specially designed with a fountain, miniature hotel, and grass area to meet their needs. I apologize for your experience at the Lobby Bar. Due to its popularity, the Lobby Bar can become very crowded. You are certainly welcome to get your drinks directly at the bar, or be served by a waitress. I hope that you visit The Peabody again soon.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We liked the Peabody a lot. Spent the evening walking along Beal Street then back to the beautiful lobby for drinks and people watching. Wish our room had a mini fridge ($15) extra charge, and the bathroom was SMALL. But, loved the parading of the ducks through the lobby.

Room Tip: Not sure. But we faced an alley. It was quiet, though.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Darcie53,

Thank you for staying at The Peabody. I am glad that you enjoyed your time at the “South’s Grand Hotel.” Upon your next visit I’d encourage you to check our special offers. Many of these packages include amenities such as parking, breakfast or tickets to nearby attractions. I hope you visit The Peabody again soon.

Thanks again,
Ponchatoula, Louisiana
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful old hotel in downtown Memphis. Plenty of history and don't miss the traditional ducks. Very classy lobby with clean, inviting rooms. Convenient locations to downtown attractions such as Beale St and Sun studio.
My only complaint is the additional parking charge.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
vancouver
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Worth a visit just because of it's history. It is an old hotel so the rooms are small, the showers terrible, and it shows it's age. But it is worth the experience to see the ducks, to check out the rooms with the showcases of history. The location is great. Close to the museums and very near the ball park! Staff were friendly and tried to be helpful. Tours do pickups here which makes it very handy. It was not fun to be in the room when they have the rooftop party as it was extremely noisy And the sound carried right into my room. It does end at a decent hour but still annoying. I would not necessarily return but only because I would choose to be near to Beale street next time. However, it was certainly worth the experience at least once.

Room Tip: Away from the street at the back is much more quiet. No view but not as noisy.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Dear patsychom,

Thank you for your recent visit to The Peabody. It sounds like you took advantage of our central downtown location and close proximity to Beale Street, Autozone Park and other Memphis attractions. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. The Peabody Rooftop Parties are a 75 year tradition and are hosted every Thursday night in the summer. The events do end at 11pm, and we invite hotel guests to join the party as they get in free from 6pm-7pm. I hope that you visit Memphis again soon.

East Coast
Reviewed 23 August 2014

If you are in full tourist mode and willing to pay the price, a stay at the Peabody will enhance your
Memphis experience. It's an important, historic Memphis institution and the location is absolutely ideal for sightseeing. The lobby is simply beautiful and feels special. We also found the staff to be consistently kind.

All that said, however, there is plenty that isn't perfect here. The hotel is very busy and one must be prepared for large groups, weddings, and a scrum of tourists coming to see the ducks march in the lobby. It's fun once, but then it gets irritating because the elevators get jammed and hordes of people jockey for position in the lobby and mezzanine. Because of the age of the hotel,the rooms vary and can feel a bit tired. The bathrooms are really, really tight. Our could have used a good scrub.

We opted for the club level, but don't really think it is worth the up charge. Our newspapers were not delivered and the offerings in the lounge were not comparable to those standard at other hotels. Continental breakfast was very basic and heavy on pastries. Fresh coffee was never brewed-guests had to make their own in Keurig machines, which felt a bit off. The "concierge" was really the wait person in charge of the food and drinks, so was rarely sitting down and available to help. Our promised newspaper was never delivered, either.

Our reservation was for a suite, but we had to try two other to get to one that was quiet. The first one was directly across from the elevator and the dinging could be heard every single time the elevator stopped. The second room was right next to the elevator shaft, so the mechanics were noisy. Maybe a better sleeper wouldn't have minded, but I found it too loud and disturbing and would opt for a room away from he elevators every time. The front desk staff was very kind about making the room changes, which was much appreciated.

The Internet was free and decent. The valet parking could get logjammed pretty easily. The first time we used it, we called down so our car could be ready, but the request was never communicated to the staff. The layout of the valet space is poor and the exit lane is only one car wide. The valets had the habit of blocking the lane with a car, making anyone behind that car wait until baggage was loaded, etc, They really need to think through where they put cars to try to maximize flow-I would not want to be dealing with a car during a busy event.

This is an expensive hotel that trades on its history. It would definitely not get away with some of its shortcomings if they weren't counterbalanced by a special atmosphere and lovely employees.
As a result, I'd recommend it to a first time visitor, but would probably not choose it for a second visit.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MickiD
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear MickiD,

Thank you for your detailed review. I am glad that you chose to stay at The Peabody. It sounds like you enjoyed our historic ambiance and found our staff to be extremely helpful. I appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. I am surprised by your comments regarding the Concierge Floor. Because of the amenities it offers, such as parking and breakfast, most guests view it as an extreme value. I apologize for the noise levels. Our recent renovations including thicker, sound proof doors, have solved many of these issues, but pleased that our front desk staff was able to accommodate your requests. I hope you visit Memphis and The Peabody again soon.