“No ducking and diving on attention to detail”

The Peabody Memphis
Ranked #4 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Kenty
“No ducking and diving on attention to detail”
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here at the end of a tour of Tennessee. The Peabody is ideally situated for sports venues and Beale street.
Once inside nothing is left to chance, the atmosphere is calm and elegant. The food excellent. We upgraded on arriving to a a guest package which gave us a special room where beverages and light food including breakfast was served. Also included in the price was valet parking and an alcoholic drink.....great value!

We really enjoyed our stay here and would love to go back and sample the exclusive French restaurant...

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Algi67,

Thank you for your recent visit to The Peabody. I am pleased that you took advantage and enjoyed your upgrade to The Peabody Club Level. As you mentioned, our club floor includes many amenities like secure valet parking, breakfast, snacks and drinks, along with a dedicated Concierge. Chez Philippe featuring classical French cuisine is definitely a treat, and hope you have the opportunity to dine there on your next visit.

scott.boucher@peabodymemphis.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (621)
Seattle
Reviewed 29 August 2014

A very nice hotel to stay in while in Memphis.
My initial impression was that the parking for the people who did not pay to valet park their car was a long way from the front desk and that the front desk was in an odd place.
At least there was parking for people who did not pay to valet park their car.
Overall the hotel is a nice, classic hotel in a central part of Memphis.
The bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean.
We called at the last moment during Elvis week and we got a room, which was very nice.
I would definitely stay at the Peabody again.

Room Tip: Choose a room far from the elevators.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Timzorrr
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Oh gosh - we splurged for us and 2 teens with one room and over $300 (tt&l), as we passed through Memphis on a family road trip. But stepping into the 1925 Era Historic Hotel was enough to make your jaw drop. Beautiful - absolutely beautiful! I will caution those who self park at the Peabody garage ($18) as it is a bit of a haul with 4 people and lots of luggage from the connected garage. You have to figure it out without ample signage, nor info offered beforehand - but we ended up on the 3rd level of the garage where you then finally find a longggggggg glass enclosed skywalk that carries you over the street rather caddy-corner to the hotel. Then you drop a floor to another series of corridors to finally find the front desk. All I can say is that I am glad I was not carrying an infant. :) Warmly greeted by very professional reception staff and then offered pricey upgrades, we declined and found our way up the (busy!) elevators and down more longgggg plush corridors to our room. Beautifully appointed with Art Deco furniture, lush draperies, soft carpeting, a stunning chandelier and wonderful beds offered us a very quiet, great nights' sleep. The bath was small but VERY clean and appointed with granite, goodies, and an awesome shower. The next morning we chose to dine in-house for breakfast at the Capriccio Grill. We opted to order off the menu rather than the Buffet, and I will offer a word of caution here. Service for our menu orders was painfully slow and we were offered excuses. We waited over 30 minutes and then I could see our food under the warming lamps sitting there for another 10 minutes. I finally got the attention of the Maitre-D as our waitress kept avoiding us - and asked if that was our food just sitting there, and was emphatically told "no." Big surprise - the tray was then picked up and magically brought to our table. Ok - it was still "hot" but it was MUCH too long of a wait as we would see other guests enjoy the Buffet, have casual conversations, and be on their way while we still sat there with glasses of water and cold coffee. Ridiculous. I would suggest only choosing the Buffet as it is very well priced (weekdays) at $13.95, I believe. (The Sunday Brunch is a hefty $39.95.) We finally packed our room and waited downstairs for the arrival of the sidekick and mascot Peabody Ducks as they march in through the lobby into the grand fountain at 11am. We thought at first "Why are we doing this? They're just ducks!" - but I'd have to admit that it is a cute presentation (for over 70 years!) and I was just like everyone else snapping photos, The daily event is led by the "Peabody Duckmaster" and it is just as unique as the huge grand hotel itself. Definitely worth a stay! - And do enjoy the vast number of special Gift Shops, the Pastry Shop and historical memorabilia in the lobby level. Very nice! Do wish we could have afforded a second night! :) Overall it was expensive, but a nice treat - as I am sure we won't pass this way again for a long time. Sometimes you just have to grab the opportunity to experience something notably historic and grand - regardless if it pleased you 100%. The location is excellent as we walked to Beale Street and around - ending at 11:30pm and felt completely safe at all times.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank TheMeadeFamily
Scott_Boucher1, Manager at The Peabody Memphis, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear TheMeadeFamily,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay. I am pleased that you and your family enjoyed your time at The Peabody. Because our parking garage was built after the hotel, it is a slight walk to the main entrance. That is why We encourage guests to leave their bags at our valet drive with a bellman, even if they choose to self-park. I apologize for your wait in Capriccio Grill. This is certainly not a typical experience. I’m glad you had the opportunity to stick around and watch the world-famous Peabody Duck March. I hope that on your next visit to Memphis that you have the opportunity for a longer stay at the “South’s Grand Hotel.”

Texas
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My husband and I decided to take a quick (under 48 hours) weekend trip to celebrate our 15th anniversary. We looked at many destinations, but a combination of factors led us to Memphis. Where else to stay but the iconic Peabody? It absolutely did not disappoint. We arrived around noon to check in. We were offered a paid upgrade to the club level, and we elected to take it! In my opinion, it was well worth the additional cost - it included a larger room and valet parking, along with breakfast and snacks throughout the day in the club level lounge. The parking for the Peabody is located in a parking garage about a block away from the hotel. You can hoof it outside or through a few meandering hallways inside the hotel. Or you can pay just a little more (or upgrade to club level) for valet - and in the August heat, or for a 5 a.m. departure like we had, it is worth every penny!

We were delighted that there was a room ready for us - all we wanted to do after being awake for 8 hours and on two flights was to lay down in a cool room on a soft bed. And the Peabody has soft, comfy beds! We've all stayed at those hotels with beds that seem like plywood...not the case here! We got good sleep both nights - rare away from home!

After a refreshing nap, we opened the door to a staff member delivering champagne and chocolate-dipped strawberries for our anniversary. We don't drink (and I'm pregnant, anyway!) but it was a lovely gesture! The staff member happily swapped out the champagne for extra bottles of water. Then we went out to see some sights. There is tons of stuff within walking distance!

We returned later to watch the ducks waddle from the fountain to the elevator - quite possibly the most enjoyable 60 seconds of the day! It may seem cliché, but it is really so fun to watch. Then we headed back upstairs for hors d'oeuvres in the club lounge - cheese, fruit, veggies, dip and mini shrimp n' grits and bbq bites. There are also soft drinks and Keurig coffee available, along with hot tea. And cookies and milk at bedtime! ;) I'm afraid there will be no living with me after this experience...a hotel stay with yummy treats all day AND valet parking??

The next day we had an all-day event to attend, so we were quite happy to see the substantial breakfast options offered. I was afraid it might only be bagels and pastries, but in addition to those, there were hard-boiled eggs, a variety of cured meats, smoked salmon, fruit, cheeses and assorted crackers. It was a great start to our day without being too heavy or greasy.

We had very pleasant interactions with all staff members and had no complaints about anything during our stay. Are there less expensive options in Memphis? Sure. But for the history, location and amenities, the Peabody can't be beat!

Room Tip: Go ahead and get a club level room. Ask for a river view!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear BlueEyedTexan,

Thank you for your detailed review, and for celebrating your anniversary with us. I am pleased that you enjoyed your upgrade to our club floor. It is no surprise to us that you thoroughly enjoyed the Peabody Dream Bed. It is so popular that we have even had to start selling it online! I appreciate you adding pictures of your stay for future guests. I hope that you visit The Peabody again soon.

danvers,mass
Reviewed 26 August 2014

My family and I had traveled to Memphis last year and discovered the Peabody Hotel , my husband wanted to spend a few nights this year when we re-visited Memphis so I made reservations for two nights . Upon our arrival the valet attendants were very friendly but upon check in it was a different story I went to the counter to check and told the girl that I had reservations I would have assumed she would have asked my name but her reply was credit card I told her I had pre-paid but she still insisted on taking my credit card , once she was finished she handed me the room keys and that was it she did not tell me what floor we were on or what room number I had to look at the keys to figure it out . The rooms were okay ,beds were not that comfortable .We stayed around the hotel that day as we were tired from driving for two days and the hotel itself is beautiful . Later that evening my children wanted to go to the coke machine on our floor to get a drink they soon returned and told me the machine on our floor was out of order so they were going to the coke machine on the floor below us , twenty minutes passed by and my sons had not returned I began to get nervous and my husband told me they were probably in the lobby at the stores as I opened the door to leave our room my youngest son(14) was about to put his key in the door I looked at him and he was flushed and covered in sweat and was breathing heavy (he is asthmatic so I was concerned) I asked were he was and what happened he told me he got on the elevator and could not get off, I was told there was a party on the roof that night (open to the public) and all of the people pushed him into a corner on the elevator and he could not move , finally he had to scream and elbow people to get off the elevator I asked him how did he get back to the room and he informed me that there was now a security guard on the elevator, had I known this was going on I would never had stayed at this hotel within 10 minutes of my son returning I could hear the music . I immediately went to the front desk and told the woman there what had happened and her reply was "sorry" and she just looked at us with a blank stare I was beyond furious and asked my husband if the people that work in this hotel are brain dead .The next day we spent the day at Graceland and returned late due to the candle walking , we returned around 12:30 after stopping at Dominos for a few pizzas , we returned to a power outage there was no one at the valet everything was pitch black we were told there was an under ground explosion at 6:30 that night ( a guest that was watching her ill husband sleep in the lobby told us ) .I realize it was beyond the hotels control but we had to use the flash lights on our cell phones to see ,we sat in the lobby and ate by candle light (fortunately my children had extra candles from Graceland) The staff just ran around in circles they had maybe three little lanterns I have no clue what they were doing . When we wanted to return to our room the girl at the front desk told us to take the wrong staircase fortunately there was a security guard I believe and he showed us the correct staircase , he walked us up ten flights of stairs with his flash light I wanted to pass out we had all of our bags from that day and it was very warm as the air conditioners had been off since 6:30 , finally we reached our room and the lights came back on at 2:30 am . I would never ever stay at this hotel again , heaven forbid if you ever ask someone that works there for anything they just give you a look as if you are putting them out of there way and you have to wait forever for what you need , I would only return for Lansky Brothers a clothing store in the lobby .I do recommend stopping by there to look at the hotel but as for staying there never again , if they would train their employees to have personalities and people skills maybe business would pick up the only explanation for the night club I feel is that business must be real bad .

Room Tip: Stay at the Residence Inn around the corner , larger rooms , comfortable beds , very friendly .
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank april m
Dear april m,

I apologize for your experiences during your recent stay at The Peabody. It sounds like you were here on a very busy weekend with our Rooftop Party season finale and Elvis Week, and an atypically hectic night during the downtown power outage. A 75-year tradition, out Rooftop Parties occur every Thursday night during the summer. These parties are for guests aged 21 and up and the two elevators designated for the party are operated by our security staff. The other two elevators are reserved for hotel guests. I understand how this could be confusing and overwhelming for a child, but glad our security team was able to assist. Like you said, on the Friday night of your stay a large power outage occurred downtown, many blocks south of the hotel. This was obviously out of our control, but our staff did everything in their power to make our guests as comfortable as possible. The Peabody staff escorted each guests up stairwells and down hallways to their rooms with flashlights and even carried several of our guests who were in wheelchairs up many flights of stairs. I again apologize for the complications you experienced, but hope that you and your family decide to give The Peabody another chance soon.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

We visited two days running - to see the ducks who were absolute stars in the famous lobby scene. It would be good to see their rooftop accommodation modernised to reflect a more suitable habitat for them. Rooftop visit at sunset for a drink is a treat, as is sitting in the lobby to admire the scenery... One of there waitresses made us feel very uncomfortable because we bought direct from the bar, we were happy to give her the next two rounds for our group, but her coldness really took something away from the experience.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear CW,

Thank you for telling us about your recent stay at The Peabody. As you said, The Peabody Ducks are definitely the stars of the hotel and, because of this, have a $200,000 custom-built penthouse on the top of the hotel. The Peabody Duck Palace was specially designed with a fountain, miniature hotel, and grass area to meet their needs. I apologize for your experience at the Lobby Bar. Due to its popularity, the Lobby Bar can become very crowded. You are certainly welcome to get your drinks directly at the bar, or be served by a waitress. I hope that you visit The Peabody again soon.

Kind regards,
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We liked the Peabody a lot. Spent the evening walking along Beal Street then back to the beautiful lobby for drinks and people watching. Wish our room had a mini fridge ($15) extra charge, and the bathroom was SMALL. But, loved the parading of the ducks through the lobby.

Room Tip: Not sure. But we faced an alley. It was quiet, though.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Darcie53,

Thank you for staying at The Peabody. I am glad that you enjoyed your time at the “South’s Grand Hotel.” Upon your next visit I’d encourage you to check our special offers. Many of these packages include amenities such as parking, breakfast or tickets to nearby attractions. I hope you visit The Peabody again soon.