“The staff is amazing, hotel is very nice”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis East/Galleria
Ranked #20 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Bluffton, South Carolina
“The staff is amazing, hotel is very nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

This was our final stop on a 10 day drive from Michigan to Texas and back. We were both getting pretty tired of the packing and unpacking, not to mention having to get used to a different bed and surroundings almost every night. So that being said, I do have some comments on this hotel. First, the staff that we interacted with were very kind and friendly. My husband was very anxious to watch the Tigers-Oakland A's play their first game in the play-offs. But the TV in our room did not have the TBS channel. So one phone call to the front desk and within an hour the game was on. That is excellent customer service! The pool area was very clean and bright, and the hot tub looked so inviting, with vigorous jet action. But the water was just a bit too hot, it took a few minutes to get used to it and then we couldn't stay in that long. But plenty of room for several people. The most annoying thing though was that there NO luggage carts to bring all the stuff from the car to the room. Neither in the evening nor the next morning. I was told by thre gentleman who checked us in that there was a wedding party staying there and they probably had the carts in their rooms. ??? With 3 floors, 52 rooms & 10 suites, there should be enough carts provided that this wouldn't happen. The rooms are provided with microwaves and mini-refrigerators. I stocked the frig with several cans of Coke and our leftovers from the delicious meal we'd had at Corky's BBQ for the drive home the next day. But unhappily, the refrigerator had been turned off (who checks to make sure it's turned on?) so everything was warm - and I ended up throwing out the food. And lastly, the hotel website advertises bacon being served with their complimentary breakfast, but it was turkey canadian bacon, definitely not the same as bacon. All things considered, it's a pretty good place to stay, in a good location.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis East/Galleria, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Bunnyyoop,
Thank you so much for your review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your business, and hope you return to stay with us again.

Kind thanks,
Louise K.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed at this property for a long weekend trip after reading the positive reviews here. Not being familiar with Memphis, we weren't sure how the location would work out. I can tell you, Memphis is very spread out and if you are visiting to see all the sights (Graceland, Zoo, Beale Street) you will spend quite a bit of time in the car on highways. I suppose by Memphis standards this neighborhood is centrally located, but we didn't find the area particularly appealing. All the restaurants around the hotel are chains and stores are big box.

First the positives: the front desk people are friendly and helpful. The breakfast was well stocked and a sufficient meal. My family enjoyed the waffles and hot oatmeal. The hotel is clean and well appointed. It was also very quiet and we were able to sleep well.

Now the negatives: the pool has entirely too much chlorine. My daughter's hair was like straw, even AFTER shampooing numerous times. The water also bothered our eyes. I mentioned it to the front desk and the woman said she would have someone check it. Our room, 301, also had a weird, funky smell that never went away for 3 nights. It smelled like cleaning chemicals covering up mildew? We couldn't quite put our fingers on WHAT the smell was. I noticed the hotel is running humidifiers in the hallways. Maybe there are some mildew or moisture problems.

The biggest negative for us was location. I wish I would have done more research on the area and just how far away it is from almost every attraction. If you are only in Memphis for a few days, check the rates on other Marriott properties that are closer to town. I noticed a Fairfield Inn and a Courtyard near downtown. Those might be a better option.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank MAElizabeth_S
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis East/Galleria, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Dear MAElizabeth_S,
Thank you for leaving a review for the Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis East. I'm happy to hear that your family enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and that my staff was helpful. Please accept my apologies for the pool. I have already addressed this issue with my maintenance staff. I also apologize for any odor in your room. I will follow up with my housekeeping staff to ensure it is taken care of. We hope the next time you find yourself in the area, you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

You should highly consider this property above other's in it's class. I'm a frequent business traveler, new to the Memphis area and now consider this my home away from home, staying at this Fairfield 2-3 times per month (8-12 nights).

Of course there are many choices in the area at this price point including its sister property across the parking lot and I "tested" many of them before deciding to land here. It's about the hotel staff who take ownership of their responsibilities and are proud to be part of the total customer experience--they get it. From the front desk, to the restaurant staff, to the housekeeping personnel... always a "hello", alway's "is there anything I can do for you?" and alway's the rooms are refreshed and clean. Not beating my chest here, but I am a Westin Platinum member and a Marriot Silver member (on the way to gold)... I've experienced service and many comfortable hotel stays across the country. Do yourself a favor and give this hotel a shot and you'll understand. Oh, BTW some reviewers are critical of the breakfast that's included in the rate... Hmm, plenty of choices hot or cold and it's more than adequate... don't be snobby and put things in perspective.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ChiMemphis
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis East/Galleria, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear ChiMemphis,
Thank you so much for the kind words about your stay with us! There are a lot of great Marriott brands, so that is quite a compliment! I appreciate your business, and hope you return to stay with us.

Warm regards,
Daphne, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

I wish I had gotten the name of the front desk staff. We were hot and tired and she was so nice. All the staff there are friendly and helpful. We had a king suite on the Steak and Shake side of the building. The room was nice and QUIET. Nice heavy blackout drapes. Rooms are updated and clean. There is a nice indoor pool but I do think there is too much chlorine. The little guys eyes were burning when they left the pool and they did not want to go back. Either the chemicals are off or the ventilation is not right. The location of this hotel is close to shopping and restaurants and right off of I-40.

1 Thank Pissaro
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis East/Galleria, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Dear Pissaro,
Thank you for writing a review of your experience at our hotel. We appreciate your candid feedback and we look forward to your next trip to Memphis.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Stayed at here for two nights. The hotel was very clean, employees were pleasant, and breakfast was ok. Hotel is very close to shopping and restaurants. Did not go to the indoor pool but other family members did and enjoyed it tremendously. Will stay at this hotel gain!

1 Thank Wemustgo
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

Our first stop from Illinois was Memphis and we stayed at this hotel and loved it. The staff was great and courteous, the rooms were clean and really liked that they had a computer available for us to use.

It is located in the business section and only 20 minutes the most from downtown Memphis. Lots of restaurants around there to eat at - as downtown Memphis was quiet. I now know that when I travel, I will choose a Fairfield Inn and Suites.

2 Thank NormaFay
Dear NormaFay,
We appreciate your kind words about the Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis East. Yes, our hotel is centrally located, surrounded by the most popular attractions in the city. It pleases us to know your experience here exceeded your expectations and that makes us so very happy. We look forward to your return trip and we value your loyalty.

Shelbyville
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

We recently stayed at Fairfield on a family trip with my granddaughter. One of the reasons we chose that specific hotel was that it was suppose to have a heated indoor pool and it being my granddaughter's first time in a hotel we wanted her to have an especially amazing stay and enjoy a hotel with the amenities of a pool. The pool was ice cold. Normally i prefer a cool temperature pool but this pool was so cold that the longer you stayed in it the colder you got. Within seconds of touching the water my grand-daughter was shivering, so having her spend any time at the pool was out. There also was no towels in the pool area.

The other issue we had was our card key would not work, the staff had to change the batteries and reset the whole lock so for about 10 minutes we were waiting in the hall and then another 15 to 20 minutes we were waiting for them to finish fixing the lock and leave the room. It was a minor issue but annoying none the less.

The hotel was very clean, so clean that the carpet in our room was still damp from recent cleaning which made the whole room feel damp.

The breakfast was ok, nothing special. It was the typical breakfast you get at any hotel that serves breakfast with the addition of microwaved sausage and egg and biscuits. The dining area is small for a hotel of that size and so seating was very limited especially considering its Memphis area where there is always one convention or another going on and hotels tend to stay pretty busy especially in that area.

We were rudely awakened around 3am in the morning by someone in the next room talking very loudly. I do not blame the hotel for that though although I dont know how the front desk didnt hear them also considering how close we were to the front desk.

The staff was very pleasant, the overall cleanliness of the hotel was excellent

It is extremely unlikely I will stay at this hotel again because of all the minor issues and especially the pool issue. It was nothing like I have came to expect from the Marriott brand.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Robinhharris
TMIHospitality, Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis East/Galleria, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Dear Robinhharris,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am sorry to hear about the problems you encountered while you were our guest. I am especially sorry that your granddaughter was unable to enjoy our pool. I want to assure you that guest satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us and these issues are being addressed. We hope you give us a chance to make things right and try the Fairfield Inn & Suites Memphis East again next time you find yourself in the area.