“Beware of Bugs!”

Ranked #83 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Lexington, Kentucky
“Beware of Bugs!”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

On Friday, August 3, 2012, my family and I checked into the Budgetel Inn located at 3005 MillBranch Road in Memphis, Tennessee. We were a late arrival guaranteed with a credit card. Our room, while sparse, appeared to be clean. We slept that evening and on the next da, Saturday, August 4th, left for our visit to Graceland. Upon returning to the room, my husband and children decided to take an afternoon nap while my mother and I spent time in the lobby.

At approximately 4 p.m., my husband awoke to find roaches crawling on the lapshade near his bed. He immediately brought this to my attention and I caught one of the roaches in a small cup of water. My husband and I went to the front desk and without making a scene, talked with the young lady who was the evening desk clerk. We explained and showed her what we had found in our room. She made note of the incident in a spiral-bound notebook and through the cup away.

At no time in our conversation did she offer us other accomodations. We then told her that we were not comfortable staying in the facility and checked out. We asked that we be compensated for that evening, but she told us that she did not have the authority to do so and gave us a business card. She printed the name of the manager who would be working the next day, a Ms. Daisy Hart and stated that we could contact her. She also annotated on our guest folio printout "DAYROOM ROACHES IN ROOM."

Upon arriving at our home on Sunday, August 5th, I contacted Ms. Hart who graciously acknowledged that she was aware of the situation, but that it would be up to the general manager to make the decision to refund our money. I asked if I could speak with him, a Mr. Jay Patel, but was told by Ms. Hart that he was not available but she would be talking with him and would contact me later.

On Monday, August 6th, I called the hotel again and asked Ms. Hart if she had spoken with Mr. Patel to which she stated that she had and he had related that he had checked the room and found no other bugs. Furthermore, he would be checking the next day and would get back with us.

On August 10th, I sent a letter to the corporate office of Budgetel requesting that the $86.97 charge be refunded to our credit card. As of this date, we have not had any response to our correspondence.
Today is Wednesday, August 8th, and we have had no further resolution to this issue.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Regina H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Orange Co, Indiana
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several years for Elvis Week. It has had several name changes but the staff is still the same. The staff is very nice and go out of their way to make your stay pleasant. My plan is to stay at this hotel for many years to come.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Richmond , Michigan
Reviewed 22 August 2012

I was one of four sisters who came to spend the full week at GRACELAND and stayed at the Budgetel on Millbranch. While it is not a four star hotel it is clean, very safe and you cannot ask for nicer people who work there! All of my sisters agree with this comment! We stayed in the same room and had plenty of space. This is saying alot for four women together! I would not hesitate to come back and I'm sure we will. They provide a shuttle to the airport and to GRACELAND which we used quite often. Ms. Daisy at the front desk is a JEWEL as is everyone who works there.We all THANK YOU so much for helping to make our stay a very memoriable one.

Room Tip: We had a room on the third floor and as there is an elevator we found it to be very good.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
South Dakota
Reviewed 30 April 2012

This is our 3rd time staying here, and we wouldn't stay at any other place in this area. The rates are reasonable, staff is beyond friendly, and it is very clean here. We have never once had any problem staying here ever. There is alot to do in this area as well. Marlowe's restaurant, Graceland, etc. Mostly truck drivers stay at this hotel, as they have trucks in the shop. It is quiet inside the hotel, and never any rowdy people have been present any of the times we have stayed here. They have a continental breakfast with toast, cereals, donuts, & pastries, a waffle maker, boiled eggs, coffee, juices, & milk. Good place to stay!

Room Tip: As with any hotel you stop at: ask to see the room before paying. It prevents problems if you don...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Centennial, Colorado
Reviewed 23 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel two separate times as it was close to the airport and Graceland but we also had free nights. The staff was extremely friendly & helpful. Rooms were clean but not spotless as there was the black mold around the bathtub caulking - a big turn off! Light breakfast consisted of rolls, hard boiled eggs, waffles & cereal. The building just needed some maintainance - curb appeal, front desk , stairwells. It was also located by a busy road which quieted down by 8;00 Of the five different Choice hotels we stayed at on this trip I would rate this at the bottom. The last night we were there two young men decided to pull the tires off a car, do something to the steering and play loud music outside our window until around 8:00 when they finally got the car running. I think there could have been a better place to overhaul a car! The other hotels were decorated for fall inside and out while this one just had a few things around the dining area. It was an ok place for 1 or 2 nights.

Room Tip: Do not choose a room on the east side as it is close to a major road.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
New York
Reviewed 21 October 2011

We stayed here after a week traveling in Tenn. as we had a morning flight. We got a very reasonable rate. If you get a low rate,it is all right. Since it's close to the airport, you hear planes ealry in the morning. Breakfast was standard. Near Graceland also. Not the newest Comfort Inn but it was clean,comfortable and staff was nice. The friendly woman at the desk told us about a good BBQ restaurant near Graceland and a singer was performing Friday night. The place was hopping. Sorry I don't remeber the name, we ate in quite a few good BBQ restaurants in Memphis. Btw, the Rendevous , downtown was the best BBQ restaurant I've ever dined in.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Reviewed 3 July 2011

We travel for business and stay in hotels 5 months of the year, and so have a lot of points of comparison. This hotel was basically lean and well kept but an older property. If you were to just put me in the room and ask me to guess the brand, I would have said it was an Econolodge. That brand tends to be older, fewer frills and its quality can vary from quite good to very bad. (If this were an Econolodge I would have said it was a good one. As a Confort Inn I would rate it as a bit less than I expect.)

The price was good and the check in staff was friendly and helpful. We had a rare day off and asked about a shuttle to Graceland, which they do offer-- Graceland is a couple of blocks away. The shuttle is the same price as parking at the attraction, so it is not much of a benefit. I do not know if they charge to take the shuttle to and from the airport as well.

I have one particular pet peeve that will keep me from visiting this hotel again. We have a routine when traveling. We often check in late and work late. In order for my partner to preserve his energy for our tour, I get up early and get breakfast for him and we eat in the room. I also dislike having all the noise of all the people around in the morning. Occasionally we run into a hotel where there is a sign that says "breakfast is to be eaten only in the breakfast room." Usually it is in an Econolodge, not a more upscale brand. In this hotel, as I was pouring coffee, a worker in the breakfast area noticed my tray and said "breakfast is not for your room." When I pay for a room that includes breakfast, I like to be able to eat it. So I make a note never to stay in these properties a second time. This may not be a problem for every traveler, but it is my pet peeve and we have a lot of options.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business