“Nasty surprise when arrived in room”

Courtyard Memphis Downtown
Ranked #37 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 27 June 2014

As a Marriott Rewards Platinum member I am extremely disappointed in this property. This is the first review I have ever written but felt it necessary to contribute. I was stunned to find the room in the condition I did when I arrived after a long day of travel. I was ready for a little rest to prepare for a busy work day the next day. My first stop after putting my luggage up was to use the restroom in my room. I lifted the lid to find a bowl full of urine and a seat and bowl rim with fecal material sprayed over it after someone had obviously had an explosive BM. (see photo) How this can be in the room after it was supposedly cleaned prior to my checking in is beyond me. I really brings into question the cleanliness of the entire room and hotel. Needless to say I will not be returning on future trips to the Memphis area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Jeff W
Deshanya W, Manager at Courtyard Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you Mr. Jeff W. for your most recent responses regarding your stay at our hotel. We strive daily to provide all of our guests with exceptional service. However, your cleanliness issue is totally unacceptable and doesn't truly represent the work or standards of our entire hotel. I express my sincere apologies and we will be using this incident as part of our housekeeping training. You stated in your response that you chose not to stay with us again. Hopefully if you're in the Memphis area, you consider giving us a second chance for your lodging needs and thank you again!!!!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My Dad and I stayed two nights over the Memorial Day long weekend to see Graceland and the city that set Elvis on his way-and we had a beautiful visit! The hotel fulfilled everything on my wish list-the feeling of a luxury vacation, walking distance to attractions, nice welcoming people, quiet room, comfortable beds. We were picked up punctually in the lobby by the tours we went on, there was a handy FREE laundry room(including free laundry soap)which I used, and the lovely ladies at the breakfast bar whipped up a healthy smoothie for me each morning(breakfast is not included with the room but that was fine with me). There was a 24 hour snack bar and the nice people at the front desk gave us some local delivery menus so we could order some great pasta dishes late when we needed it! We were very impressed with everything and everyone we encountered during our stay. The hotel itself and the room was clean, quiet, and very spacious! I went on a few walks on my own and as a young woman I felt totally safe in the area. The trolley stop is literally just outside the door so my Dad and I took a lovely tour around riding the "Waterfront Loop" trolley(45 minutes total loop) for $1 each. You can get off at any of their many stops. The word my Dad used to describe Memphis was "drenched in history", and wow he was right, what an incredible little city. I will be recommending this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DeeDee N

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay with us. We're glad you got to tour our city and that you had a wonderful time. Hope to see you again for your next Memphis visit!!!!!!

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed here on our way to Texas & wanted to check out Beale St. We got in late (around 1AM) and the staff & parking attendant were very nice & accommodating - we were driving a moving truck pulling a car trailer. Beale St was within easy walking distance. Rooms were large, clean & very comfortable. Beds were great. Has all of the usual Courtyard amenities.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank rab-pgh
CourtyardMemDowntown, General Manager at Courtyard Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thanks for staying with us as you passed through Memphis. Hope you can visit us again should your travels bring you back this way.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

i was stay in here with my family for 2 night. we are so happy to choosed the right one hotel in Memphis. location great nearby attraction place, foods wow delicious the staff very helpful. will return here again :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
CourtyardMemDowntown, General Manager at Courtyard Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you for your stay with us. We look forward to your next visit to Memphis. Your comments will be shared with our staff who will appreciate you taking your valuable time to recognize their efforts.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Hotel was clean, staff friendly, easy interstate access. Beds were comfortable. Really only negative was parking, block away and pretty rough looking. Felt like it might get broken in to but didn't. Close to river. Only there one night so can't comment on attractions.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Jeffrey P
CourtyardMemDowntown, General Manager at Courtyard Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for your review. Please be assured that the parking facility used to park guest cars is safe. The garage is owned by the city and is attended 24 hours a day. In addition, in the overnight hours a security gate is closed that only allows staff members or those with gate key cards to have access to the garage. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Everything was a fairly easy walk. The front desk was helpful in suggestions for places to eat. Parking is offsite, but you can pay to valet. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. I would return here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ptnole1

Thank you for your comments and stay with us. Hope to see you again on your next trip to Memphis.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Our corner room was good sized and clean and comfortable. Exactly what you need for a place hang your hat while out seeing the sites. The location right on Main Street was great. Just a $1 trolley ride away from the Blues clubs of Beale Street or Sun Studios or Beale Street landing to catch a river boat excursion. Lots of great restaurants on Second Street are walking distance. My only complaint, which is minor is that they should be more generous when you buy the breakfast to be included in your room price. I am used to similar hotels with a great breakfast to fill you up for the rest of the day. This voucher you get only includes one menu item with one small beverage. So you can get either eggs OR a muffin, a small coffee OR orange juice. Even thought they have a full Starbucks menu, you can only get a small regular coffee with your voucher, if you wanted a cappuccino or a medium coffee you would need to pay full price in addition to your voucher. The breakfast menu offerings were very limited and tasted mediocre at best. I recommend you skip the breakfast with the room and look for a full service restaurant near by instead.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
CourtyardMemDowntown, General Manager at Courtyard Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for your stay with us. We appreciate your comments regarding your stay and your disappointment with the breakfast. The Courtyard brand does ot offer free breakfast. We do offer a breakfast package room rate that includes the breakfast options you mentioned. These options, along with the menu we offer, are Marriott standards that all Courtyard brand hotels follow. We do have the opportunity to pass on guest comments regarding the menu options which I will be happy to pass along to those who design and determine what menu options with be offered at all Courtyard hotels.