“Very Nice Hotel”

Courtyard Memphis Downtown
Ranked #34 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel is located near the nice restaurants and Beele Street, as well as the major hospital systems in town. The lobby is great and the rooms are standard Courtyard. I got a room rate that was not beatable for midweek. The staff was very nice too. I last stayed here about 4 years ago and would return here in an instant.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bruce C
Deshanya W, Manager at Courtyard Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thanks Bruce C for your great feedback regarding your most recent stay! We are truly elated that we are your top choice for your Memphis visits! I'm glad that you had a blast on Beale Street and as you may have noticed during your 4yr travel here that it only gets better. We do thank you and hope to see you again soon!!!!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have stayed at numerous higher end hotels while traveling on business (Fairmont, JW Marriott, Four Seasons) and I consistently have as good an experience at Courtyards as I do anywhere, even though it is not a high end property. This is my favorite Courtyard of all their properties that I have visited.

We have stayed here 3-4 times and the service and accommodations are consistently outstanding. The "bistro" area is a wonderfully relaxing place to spend some time. I had some work to do while we were here on vacation and I got comfortable in the bistro with my laptop and stayed quite a while. Even though it is not a sit down restaurant, the staff came by several times to offer to bring us drinks or food.

The front desk staff were very friendly upon check in and gave us some great tips on local activities and dining. When we called to request a taxi to the airport upon check out, it was there before we even got downstairs.

This hotel is in a great location to enjoy downtown Memphis. We have never rented a car on our visits; everything downtown is walkable and you can also take the trolley if you like.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
CourtyardMemDowntown, General Manager at Courtyard Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Happy to hear you enjoyed your stays with us. On your next visit you may want to rent a car and see some of the sights that are not in walking distance. We have an excellent zoo and several museums that are nearby. And of course there is always Graceland! See you again soon.

Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I can not say enough about this hotel. It was located downtown near everything. The entire staff that I was in contact with (front desk, valet, housekeeping) was simply Outstanding and very knowledgeable and informative of the surroundings and activities. Their recommendations were perfect and on point! My room was so clean and well decorated. I felt right at home and hated to leave. I highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank DrAlias
Deshanya W, Manager at Courtyard Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thanks Dr Alias, we certainly are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It makes feel great with pride when our guests have a wonderful time!!!We hope to see you again soon!!!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Beautiful hotel lobby with clean and updated entryway. Check in staff member was very helpful whenever we had questions, we accidentally reserved the room for the wrong date and they helped us to correct our reservation and honored the original price. Parking was a bit challenging since we opted to not use the valet we had to walk a block or two to get to our car and still had to pay for parking in addition to our hotel stay. Be prepared to pay extra for parking.

The shower was so nice and strong! Beds were clean and comfortable and the cleaning staff were helpful but also involved in cell phone usage. We got locked out of our room and a cleaning staff member helped us but didn't disconnect her personal phone call to do so. It was slightly awkward.

Room Tip: Be prepared to pay extra for parking whether you valet or not.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Deshanya W, Manager at Courtyard Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thanks Dave-Jenn 996 we're glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!! Being a downtown property in any city could be a little challenging at times, but we are consistently working harder! I'm also glad that our staff was able to assist you with all of your needs. However, having associates assist you while on personal calls is absolutely unacceptable. I will personally keep an eye out on this incident as well as review our cell phone policy again with associates. Thanks again!!!!!

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Really pleased with this hotel. From ease of check in, you can have valet parking for $18 or self parking for $15 it seemed easier to have valet parking and certainly this was the best option. The rooms are spacious and clean and also provided is a coffee machine and large TV. The bathrooms have really big showers ( no bath) and plenty of room. Although this hotel does not have a pool, on our floor on the outside patio area was a spa/hot tub, very relaxing. Also available was a laundry room with washers and driers- reception provided wash powder free of charge.
When asking for more coffee pods for the room I also asked for some fresh milk, nothing was too much trouble and they were happy to oblige.
It is a fair walk to Beale street but pleasant, takes around 20 minutes.
I would definitely recommend a staying here if you are visiting Gracelands as it's only 10 minutes away.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thanks mel_rainbow childcare! We certainly appreciate your given feedback. We're glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We due in fact have bathtubs at this property located on the third floor only and some are even handicap accessible if needed and thanks again for choosing us!

Reviewed 27 June 2014

As a Marriott Rewards Platinum member I am extremely disappointed in this property. This is the first review I have ever written but felt it necessary to contribute. I was stunned to find the room in the condition I did when I arrived after a long day of travel. I was ready for a little rest to prepare for a busy work day the next day. My first stop after putting my luggage up was to use the restroom in my room. I lifted the lid to find a bowl full of urine and a seat and bowl rim with fecal material sprayed over it after someone had obviously had an explosive BM. (see photo) How this can be in the room after it was supposedly cleaned prior to my checking in is beyond me. I really brings into question the cleanliness of the entire room and hotel. Needless to say I will not be returning on future trips to the Memphis area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Jeff W
Deshanya W, Manager at Courtyard Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you Mr. Jeff W. for your most recent responses regarding your stay at our hotel. We strive daily to provide all of our guests with exceptional service. However, your cleanliness issue is totally unacceptable and doesn't truly represent the work or standards of our entire hotel. I express my sincere apologies and we will be using this incident as part of our housekeeping training. You stated in your response that you chose not to stay with us again. Hopefully if you're in the Memphis area, you consider giving us a second chance for your lodging needs and thank you again!!!!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

My Dad and I stayed two nights over the Memorial Day long weekend to see Graceland and the city that set Elvis on his way-and we had a beautiful visit! The hotel fulfilled everything on my wish list-the feeling of a luxury vacation, walking distance to attractions, nice welcoming people, quiet room, comfortable beds. We were picked up punctually in the lobby by the tours we went on, there was a handy FREE laundry room(including free laundry soap)which I used, and the lovely ladies at the breakfast bar whipped up a healthy smoothie for me each morning(breakfast is not included with the room but that was fine with me). There was a 24 hour snack bar and the nice people at the front desk gave us some local delivery menus so we could order some great pasta dishes late when we needed it! We were very impressed with everything and everyone we encountered during our stay. The hotel itself and the room was clean, quiet, and very spacious! I went on a few walks on my own and as a young woman I felt totally safe in the area. The trolley stop is literally just outside the door so my Dad and I took a lovely tour around riding the "Waterfront Loop" trolley(45 minutes total loop) for $1 each. You can get off at any of their many stops. The word my Dad used to describe Memphis was "drenched in history", and wow he was right, what an incredible little city. I will be recommending this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DeeDee N

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay with us. We're glad you got to tour our city and that you had a wonderful time. Hope to see you again for your next Memphis visit!!!!!!