“Superb!”
Review of Restaurant Iris

Restaurant Iris
Reserve with OpenTable
Restaurant Iris is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #82 of 1,440 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Cooper
Description: Born and raised in Southern Louisiana, Chef Kelly English fell in love with the culture and food of New Orleans. Equipped with his training from award-winning Chef John Besh, English presents a unique dining experience. Restaurant Iris specializes in French-Creole cuisine featuring local and seasonal ingredients. English infuses his endless creativity and passion for food into each dish. Whether indulging in his Oysters three ways, a "Knuckle Sandwich", or a dessert made just for you, one is sure to reap the benefits of English"s rich culinary background. We invite you to experience Restaurant Iris, simplicity at its most elegant. Please note: Due to the limited capacity of our dining room, we offer limited online reservation availability. For more information regarding availability, please contact the restaurant directly.
Kingston Springs, Tennessee
1,169 restaurant reviews
“Superb!”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Located in what formerly was a residence, this beautiful eatery is small and intimate. The waitstaff are friendly and knowledgeable about the food and beverages. Menu is well rounded with small and large plates. I had a three course dinner starting with lump crab and avocados on local tomatoes. Amberjack on tomatoes and gulf shrimp was my entree. Creme brûlée finished my experience. A nice German Riesling accompanied my meal. A wonderful place that I look forward to a return visit.

• Visited July 2014

Holbrook, New York
“thoroughly enjoyed”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We came here on Saturday night and all in our party of 4 were pretty impressed. I have always been a fan of dining in an old charming and quiet house like this with its small rooms and creaky floors. The dim lights, candles, cool artwork and the sounds of the waitstaff's footsteps hustling around all night provided a comfortable atmosphere for the kind of evening you hope for when going out to nice place to dine.

To start we shared sweetbreads, BBQ shrimp, fried oysters, Brussels sprouts and green tomatoes with burrata and not a single bite was left on the plates when they were cleared. I had a lamb loin entree special as main course and it was cooked perfectly. Other entrees that were enjoyed on our table were the surf & turf and the halibut.

Our waitress was very friendly and honest. She even made a suggestion to stay away from a certain dish when we ordered it because of how it was being received that night. The service and timing between dishes was solid.

Needless to say, it was a great night of dining. Even the mixed drink menu is worth mentioning. The drinks were interesting, flavored nicely and executed well. There was obvious care taken in plating and execution but overall the food was very good, not excellent. That being said, this was our best meal in Memphis by far. Be sure to reserve in advance for a weekend so that you don't miss out.

• Visited June 2014
Batesville, Mississippi
“Second visit, still great”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was our second visit to Iris and it was almost as lovely as the first. We had a great table by the fireplace and the ambiance was quiet & romantic. The fried oysters’ app was fantastic. My husband had the BBQ shrimp app & he said it was great. His New York strip was very tender with great flavor. My Red Snapper was good; just a little under seasoned. We had the bread pudding for dessert & it was delicious. Our waitress, although friendly, was not as refined as our previous waiter. Chef English came out to greet his guests as usual; I love that he does this. Overall, we had a wonderful dinner & will definitely visit again.

Bellevue, WA
“Not sure it deserves the raves..but still good”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

After reading the reviews, we considered ourselves extremely lucky to get an impromptu reservation for 4 on a Saturday night in Memphis (we were all visiting from out of town). It is a lovely little restaurant with definite charm, and interesting menu. We are adventurous eaters, so this seemed good choice. It was a lovely warm evening and we ate outside. Very nice ambiance, and excellent service by Jeff. A bottle of wine ordered, and we were set for a nice meal...It was only OK. Being from Seattle, I wanted to try a more southern fish, so I ordered the Gulf Red Snapper...it was served over a risotto that was mush, the flavor of the fish was hidden with a sauce that was too salty...my husband ordered the surf and turf, which was a nice serving of beef, but again too salty and too much bleu cheese that overpowered the meat. Our friends ordered shrimp and grits and halibut...nice portions but just OK in the taste department. We were expecting more for sure based upon the reviews. Desserts were good, easily shareable. All in all, I don't have much to compare it to in Memphis, but from a person who has traveled extensively and eaten in all price range restaurants and styles, this was only OK.

1 Thank Bluesgal58
Brenham, Tx
“Very disappointed with our visit.”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We recently dined at Iris expecting one on the best meals in Memphis. As it turned out, we will not return.

It all started well as we found the restaurant to be very pretty inside. We were greeted promptly and seated at a great table. The menu looked very delicious. My wife and I ordered a glass of white wine each and our daughter had a very good Cosmo. We then ordered several apps and entrees. The amuse bouche was a crayfish fritter, which was all batter. The duck confit fritters were also all batter with no duck flavor. The salad was very good as was the lobster knuckle sandwich and raviolo.

We then ordered a bottle of red wine which the server promptly poured into the used white wine glasses. That was a first. I pointed out her mistake and she promptly resolved this problem.

My wife had the halibut which was very nicely done. I ordered the smoked duck which was also cooked very well, but was served with very ordinary dirty rice. Not an elegant pairing. Our daughter ordered the veal with was badly over cooked and sent back to the kitchen. Dessert was the apple crisp which had been over seasoned with black pepper and turned out to be uneatable.

The server did take the veal entree and apple dessert off the bill, but the damage had been done. We will not return. There are many better options in Memphis.

1 Thank Gary L