“Its a Bed”
Review of Hostel Memphis

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Memphis
Hostel Memphis
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Conversing over Email, the Place seem to be just what we were looking, Upon arriving, we had to read through and sign about millions rules to do with the hostel, drinking and sorts of other rubbish.

We were then instructed we would be doing some sort of cleaning activity each day and upon questioning what this might be we got a very strange reaction. Never in my life have I paid to stay at a place and was forced to do a job or not get my deposit back.

The Desk Staff were not helpful at all in terms of public transport, either "we don't know, or we don't use it". The had maps and guides all around place, but firstly if you actually don't quite know where you are, it makes it a little hard to work things out.

The bathrooms were very clean and tidy, the one good thing about the place. The bedding was super uncomfortable. Again a plus side, bedding with extra blankets and wash towels were included, you didn't really need the extra blankets because the heat was cranked up so high during the night.

In order to get to town, it was either work out the public transport system, or get some guy to drive you round town. We opted for the driver the first day just to get our bearings. We got bombarded with Church talk and then this person decided to completely write off memphis by talking about all the crime and overweight people and the KKK, really really strange. We decided to pay more and get a normal taxi on our way back that night.

Most of the people staying there (which was less than 10) where not guests they were students, Again which raises my questions of the job you have to do....

If your desperate to save some cash in Memphis, it would be a last resort. Its a good 5 miles from the city centre, its a $15 o/w cab ride, or if you can work the bus stop out, which once we used it is only a block away, its a $1.50, but the buses run late and early also.

Couple of 1/2 decent bars around the hostel, but its really not worth it, its so far from the city centre and there is nothing to do at the hostel apart from the free WIFI.

Room Tip: all the rooms are the same, open plan, bunks.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Carl R

Reviewed 21 October 2012

Based on great reviews on Tripadvisor, I went to PHH. I have to say: it was very dissappointing. Staff forgot to email me the codes to the door. So when I arrived at night (there is no doorbell and nobody answered the phone...) I waited about half hour untill another guest arrived and I could go in with him. Bathrooms were dirty and the dormitory (females only) very cramped. The place is far away from the sites in Memphis. On the other hand: the hostel is cheap and the chores you have to do are light and not time consuming. All in all I will not go back there.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank 180Maria
Reviewed 18 October 2012 via mobile

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at this hostel. I felt very comfortable and safe during my time here. A large kitchen and nice furniture gives it a very homely feel. It's in a good location with nice restaurants. The staff are very nice and welcoming.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank jamiealexander82
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Pilgrim House provides basic hostel facilities in a pleasant floor of the bigger church complex. The facilities such as bathrooms and kitchen were very good, clean and comfortable. My husband and I had a private room which was clean but not very private as we had to walk through the mens dorm to get to it! We didn't realise this until we were shown the room by a member of staff who hastily said "I hope that's okay" ! We didn't feel we had much choice. I don't know if there are any private rooms which are fully private - you should inquire when booking. The wifi seemed fine and there are comfortable areas with settees to sit in. We enjoyed doing the daily chore - they are all very light, such as wiping dining tables and taking out bins - it just seems like a nice gesture in a communal environment. There's a friendly, social atmosphere and we met some really nice people while we were here who we plan to keep in touch with. Thoroughly recommended for a visit to Memphis. Also the local area is great - bars and restaurants just around the corner, music and great boho atmosphere. The bus service is limited but workable so don't let that put you off!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jane D
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I stayed here as part of a 30 day rail journey. The staff were all great and did the best to accommodate.

I was given a handicap room-hospital bed( slept great though!) the floor was dusty so I moped it with my towel following my shower.

The furniture was dusty

The dance studio and meetings went over late and kept up noise, yet for $15 a night I would suck it all up, do my own cleaning and stay again!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Grettasmith
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 2 nights - one night in the dorm and the 2nd night in a private room. Typically, when we stay in hostels we try and get privates, but in this case the dorm was just fine and we would of been perfectly happy staying there.

The hostel is located in a nice part of town. We did a lot of walking around the residential neighborhood and it was central also for driving around the city. Transit is pretty well non-existent.

The hostel was located on the top floor of a large older building. it had a great big kitchen area, and another quieter area with couches and tv. The bathrooms were fine, the beds comfortable. Nice big hallways; you really feel like there is lots of room and you can move around freely and say "hi" to everyone. Access was 24 hours with a coded lock.

Staff are a big plus here, very friendly, helpful, and a pleasure to be around.

Memphis was a great two day visit. Loved it. The Martin Luther King musuem is a must see.

Room Tip: If you get a private room, ask for one that is not located in a dorm room. That way you don't h...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank peter.craig
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Pilgrim house is a hostel in midtown Memphis with a great staff a good bit of personality. It's in Cooper Young, which is a great little neighborhood with interesting restaurants and shops. My friends and I stay in the hostel every year when we go to Memphis for the Beale St music festival . The hostel is about a ten minute cab ride to Beale street. Most hotels near Beale are booked very early and aren't cheap, while the hostel is $15 a person per night or $30 for a private room for one person. There is a $10 deposit, and the hostel does ask each guest to perform one task per day, such as maybe sweeping your room or wiping off the kitchen counter in order to get your deposit back. The hostel itself is fairly quiet, so if you're looking for a party place, this isn't the place for you. We party on Beale street and head to the hostel when we are ready for a quiet place to sleep. It's clean, unique, and provides at atmosphere to mingle with other travelers as well. Definitely worth more than the price you pay!

Room Tip: If you worry about other guests snoring or being loud simply get a private room, it's very inexp...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends