“The bartender on Sundays provides bad service”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Sweet Grass

Sweet Grass
Ranked #193 of 1,436 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Young
Memphis, Tennessee
“The bartender on Sundays provides bad service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

My husband and I are not the type of people who complain or write negative reviews. However, after two separate yet similarly disappointing experiences with the service at Sweetgrass, we felt the need to comment. There is one criticism, we have about the food, which we will add at the end, but our main issue was with the service.

On two occasions, we have eaten at Sweetgrass on a Sunday night and sat at the bar. The service we received from the bartender Johnny was sub-par. On the first night, we ordered drinks, Johnny told us the specials and we took time to decide what we wanted. I wasn't until we ordered that Johnny told us that they had run out of some items on the menu, which happened to be fish and chicken, both items we ordered. Not a huge deal, it would have been nice to get that information before deciding what to order. Still, not a great job.

Last night, though, was definitely a disappointing performance. First, we ordered drinks, which tasted good, but they were not cold! They were served with ice, but the soda/mixer he used in the drinks were obviously not cold. Then my husband ordered the quail, which was supposed to come with a broccoli mac 'n cheese. When he got his plate, it was served with grilled nectarines and no mac 'n cheese. When we asked Johnny about this, he said, "Awww man, I should have told you when you ordered..." they were not serving the mac 'n cheese with the quail. All he said was sorry. I had to ask if we could get a complimentary side, like the squash flan, considering mac 'n cheese is just as much of a draw as quail. He did accommodate our request, but it should have been his suggestion.

On a food note, we were also disappointed with the yellow squash goat cheese flan. This is a dish we have had there many times before and it has always closely resembled a flan. Last night, it was a liquid puddle on the plate...not excellent.

Seattle, Washington
“Innovative food and good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

We dined at Sweet Grass on a Thursday night, and had an overall superb dining experience. Check out their seasonal cocktail offerings - we had a concoction made with intestinal gin, ginger, cucumber, and St. Germain that was excellent. Beef carpaccio, arugula salad, and a shrimp & grits with scallops, house made sausage and country ham entree - all were outstanding.

The the affable waiter, and friendly maitre' d made our dining experience relaxed and pleasurable. A very good wine list and ample selection of wines by the glass. We asked for a glass of red and a glass of white to go with our courses, and the maitre' d made excellent recommendations of some unusual vintages that we thoroughly enjoyed. (I pleasantly noted the wines he picked were some of the more modestly priced of the per-glass offerings. The pairings with our food were outstanding.)

We had their signature deep-dish sour-cream apple pie for desert. It was the only part of our meal that did not exceed our expectations.

Memphis, Tennessee
“Unimpressive brunch, but a good bar”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

You pay for the 'hip' location and atmosphere, but I'd rather pay for good food and service
1. slow service. delivery of drinks and taking of orders took ages (It wasn't busy - we were one of three occupied tables.)
2. small portions. my crab cakes benedict consisted of one small (~ 1.5" diameter) crab cake, two similarly-sized fried green tomato slices (with a bit too much breading and way too much frying), and four slices of asparagus. With no sides or bread to turn this in to a full meal, I was hungry again within 2 hours.
3. not 'personable' service. or server forgot to introduce himself until halfway through (when we asked) so we were unable to call him over when we needed something. We also had to request enough salt and pepper for the table, and grab extra place settings off the next table so everyone had utensils...

On the other hand, my bloody mary was excellent. And everyone else's drinks were good too.

San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Enjoyable dinner experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2013

We met friends here for a casual dinner on a Sunday night. The menu is not large, but there is good variety and some excellent flavor. A couple of us tried the duck, and rated it excellent. I tried the grilled vegetables and they were perfect - set off by a salty cheese ball made with feta. Two of our party also got the sea scallops, which though deemed very tasty, were a tiny portion rinks were good, and the peanut butter-chocolate pie with an oreo cookie crust was unforgettable.

• Visited May 2013
“Great Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

My wife and I joined another couple at Sweet Grass recently before the symphony. We all agreed that our meal was exceptional. The highlight of the evening for me was the low country shrimp and grits. I have had shrimp and grits at a number of good restaurants, but I must say that this version of it was the very best that I have ever eaten. The addition of some scallops, ham and sausage gave the dish an exceptional flavor. Very well done indeed!!! By the way, my wife and our friends were also very happy with their entrees.

• Visited March 2013