“Go-to-place for brunch; some fun drinks”
Review of Sweet Grass

Sweet Grass
Ranked #255 of 1,481 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Young
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I've eaten at Sweet Grass several times, and every time I've been very happy. They have some drinks that are unusual and well crafted. The brunch menu has a good selection; the french toast and the crab cakes were great each time.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We were visiting with our daughter in Memphis recently and had dinner at Sweet Grass in the Cooper Young Area of Memphis. Cooper Young is a very eclectic area with lots of art and good restaurants in Midtown Memphis.

We began our meal with a watermelon salad with prosciutto and goat cheese and other ingredients that were very tasty, especially on a summer night. This was a "special" appetizer that evening. I chose to have the Scallops for me entree which were very delicious, and not a huge amount of food. My husband had the Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes which were also delicious. Our daughter started her dinner with the Frogmore Stew as the lst course and enjoyed it very much.

The restaurant features the Low Country style of cooking which mostly exists along the Carolina coast line. We would definitely got back to this restaurant.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

My wife and I and 2 friends enjoyed our Sunday brunch. All four of us had different plates and we all enjoyed. And the special adult beverages were tasty. Might have been the best grits ever. We had no room for dessert which was too bad because they looked great. We’ll be back.

3  Thank Humph_moose
Reviewed 1 July 2013

My husband and I are not the type of people who complain or write negative reviews. However, after two separate yet similarly disappointing experiences with the service at Sweetgrass, we felt the need to comment. There is one criticism, we have about the food, which we will add at the end, but our main issue was with the service.

On two occasions, we have eaten at Sweetgrass on a Sunday night and sat at the bar. The service we received from the bartender Johnny was sub-par. On the first night, we ordered drinks, Johnny told us the specials and we took time to decide what we wanted. I wasn't until we ordered that Johnny told us that they had run out of some items on the menu, which happened to be fish and chicken, both items we ordered. Not a huge deal, it would have been nice to get that information before deciding what to order. Still, not a great job.

Last night, though, was definitely a disappointing performance. First, we ordered drinks, which tasted good, but they were not cold! They were served with ice, but the soda/mixer he used in the drinks were obviously not cold. Then my husband ordered the quail, which was supposed to come with a broccoli mac 'n cheese. When he got his plate, it was served with grilled nectarines and no mac 'n cheese. When we asked Johnny about this, he said, "Awww man, I should have told you when you ordered..." they were not serving the mac 'n cheese with the quail. All he said was sorry. I had to ask if we could get a complimentary side, like the squash flan, considering mac 'n cheese is just as much of a draw as quail. He did accommodate our request, but it should have been his suggestion.

On a food note, we were also disappointed with the yellow squash goat cheese flan. This is a dish we have had there many times before and it has always closely resembled a flan. Last night, it was a liquid puddle on the plate...not excellent.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

We dined at Sweet Grass on a Thursday night, and had an overall superb dining experience. Check out their seasonal cocktail offerings - we had a concoction made with intestinal gin, ginger, cucumber, and St. Germain that was excellent. Beef carpaccio, arugula salad, and a shrimp & grits with scallops, house made sausage and country ham entree - all were outstanding.

The the affable waiter, and friendly maitre' d made our dining experience relaxed and pleasurable. A very good wine list and ample selection of wines by the glass. We asked for a glass of red and a glass of white to go with our courses, and the maitre' d made excellent recommendations of some unusual vintages that we thoroughly enjoyed. (I pleasantly noted the wines he picked were some of the more modestly priced of the per-glass offerings. The pairings with our food were outstanding.)

We had their signature deep-dish sour-cream apple pie for desert. It was the only part of our meal that did not exceed our expectations.