“Great location but, not kid friendly”

Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street)
Ranked #31 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Location is great, room is comfy but, not a kid friendly hotel! When you have a 6 year old they want to get into the pool, and there where about 60 collage students drinking, being rowdy, cursing and taking over the pool, a couple if the kids fell onti my 73 year old mom and my daughter ended up crying and had to leave the area, as we where leaving 3 guys dropped an ice chest at my feet close to elevator! We reported it and they said the kids where not doing nothing wrong with exception of drinking with glass bottles in pool, he said they would get out and we can swim afterwards at. 945 he called and said we could go in, at 10 they closed pool. Also if you are close to street side you will hear lots of noise. Location is good!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank norma71
DOSHIDowntown, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street), responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed our location and found our rooms to be comfortable. I am sorry that you do not feel that our hotel is kid friendly. I appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. We will be sure to coach our staff to better handle situations concerning disruptive guests in the future. I am sorry that your child was unable to enjoy the pool. Thank you for your comments. They will be shared with our staff so that we may improve our procedures and increase our guest satisfaction. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to serve you here again in the future so that we may change your opinion of our hotel. Feel free to contact our administrative office at the hotel if you would like to speak to a member of our management staff about your recent stay with us. Thank you again for your feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,105)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

This Holiday Inn is updated and fresh in the lobby and the rooms look good. However, the hotel seems older and the walls seem to be thin as we could hear people walking around and talking in other rooms. To make things worse, they put us in a room that backed up to the elevator. There were severe thunderstorms and we thought all the rumbling was from that. That is, until the thunder calmed down and we tried to sleep. I realize I probably should have said something in the night to see if we could get a different room but I kept thinking it would quiet down as it got later...it didn't. When we talked with the front desk attendant about the problem and not sleeping all night, she laughed it off and said that they're getting new elevators soon. I expected understanding and maybe even a discount because we couldn't sleep.

Also, the carpet was wet next to our bathroom. I'm not sure if it's always like that as the bathtub is right next to the bathroom door and the shower may sometimes leak onto the floor and the carpet. I mentioned it to the front desk but got no reaction or response.

The channel line-up on the TV is very lacking. They don't even have the Weather Channel....which we would have liked during our stay because of the severe storms. Wifi, however, works well.

Otherwise, the fabrics and furnishings in the room seemed new, fresh, and pretty. Valet and bell staff were professional and very nice. The location is right across from the Peabody to see the duck march and a very short walk to Beale Street.

One more thing....I'm not sure if they serve complimentary breakfast as they never mentioned it and I forgot to ask. I did notice an eating area when we went to check out though. It would have been nice since we couldn't leave as early as planned due to the severe storms.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room far from the elevator, ice machines, etc. as the walls are thin and rooms c...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank funsters3

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. It sounds like our hotel did not meet with your expectations. I apologize that your rest was disturbed by surrounding noise and that your calls regarding the wet floor by your bathroom were not handled appropriately by our staff. It sounds like we definitely failed when it comes to customer service. Our hotel does not offer complimentary continental breakfast, but we do have a full service restaurant with many breakfast, lunch, and dinner options, as well as a coffee shop with additional grab-n-go items. I regret your dissatisfaction with the Holiday Inn Downtown Memphis, and I thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. Comments from our guests help us target areas that may need improvement, and you can be assured that your comments will be shared with our staff. Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Yes, the hotel looks tired in places and renovation work is ongoing. Yes, the lifts allow you to play a form of Russian roulette - one lift is permanently out of order (although there's no sign to tell you this) another lift will take you to any floor but the one you want (a kind of Tower Of Terror but without the speed) whilst the middle lift works fine.......but it's a bit slow. Despite those minor gripes, the hotel is clean, the rooms are comfortable (there's no in-room safe, but there are free safe deposit boxes available at Reception) and the staff are all extremely helpful and friendly.

The hotel is ideally located for Beale Street and Autozone Park (baseball) and the brilliant Sun Studio and Civil Rights Museum are both about 20 minutes walk away. The famous Peabody Hotel is dead opposite but, if you're on a budget, the Holiday Inn Select is an ideal place to rest your head.

By the way, if you do choose the Tower Of Terror lift, the trick is to press floor 14 first, then the floor you want - a useful tip from one of the staff.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BaggieMark1964

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I'm delighted to hear that you found our rooms to be clean and comfortable and that you enjoyed our ideal location. I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with our elevators. Our hotel is currently undergoing renovations, and our elevators are scheduled to be renovated next. Thank you for your patience with us as we make improvements to our hotel. I hope you will return once our renovations are complete and allow us the opportunity to serve you here again. Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights, room only, paid around €100 per night. Very fair price considering the location and the quality. Not luxury but it was very clean and functional with every thing you'd need in a hotel room. It was our first time in Memphis and staff were very helpful with helping us to book sight-seeing tours, giving us advice etc. Used the adjoining restaurant for breakfast on one morning, excellent, no-nonsense food.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Afafa10

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am so glad to hear that our staff, rooms, and food met with your satisfaction. We love hearing positive feedback from our guests, and we are so grateful that you took the time to share your experience with us and with others. I hope we are able to welcome you back to our location again in the future. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Downtown Memphis.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We went to Memphis with 4 of our friends to go to the Redbirds game. We stayed at this hotel which is about 1/2 block from Autopark where the game was. The staff is very friendly and the rooms were very nice. Pretty reasonably priced except you have to pay for your breakfast either continental $7.95 or full buffet $12.95. With what we paid although not a bad price it should have included the meal. Most places do. There is a Denny's right next door and that is where we went, lot cheaper. Also a $20.00 parking fee. I know most places do that but I just think it is wrong since that parking garage has been there for a long time and we have stayed when they didn't charge. But locations was the key for us and so we stayed there.

Room Tip: Rooms are nice any of them. Close to famous Beale Street and lots of other great things.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Evonne D
DOSHIDowntown, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street), responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I am so glad that you chose to stay at our location. I know there are many choices when choosing a hotel, and I want to thank you for selecting our property. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of our excellent location in very close proximity to AutoZone Park, as well as many other attractions. I regret that you did not find our breakfast to be worth the price. Our hotel does offer rates that include breakfast to guests who request it. As with other downtown hotels, parking is not complimentary, but we do feel that our rates are very competitive with surrounding locations. I hope you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and in the city of Memphis. I would like to invite you to allow us to serve you here again in the future should you return to Memphis. Thank you for staying with us!

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I actually left a completely paid for hotel room and found refuse here for the night. I purchased a room at the Crown Royal via Priceline online. You select a star rating, a location and a price; then, they automatically book your room. BAD IDEA.
Holiday Inn rarely disappoints. I wondered in off the street. The clerk warmly greeted us. The room was nice, CLEAN, and comfortable. The bathroom were tiny.
The only negative was the poor quality of the gym equipment.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Najjie

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted that you chose to stay at our hotel. I am so glad that we were able to accommodate you. It sounds like you enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope we are able to welcome you back to our location in the future. Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Downtown Memphis!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

From start to finish, everything was done just right during my stay. The room was large and clean, the beds were comfortable, and the bathroom was spotless. Location cannot be beat, near the shops and restaurants of Main St. and the funky clubs and bars of Beale St. The best part was the staff though. Everybody, from the valet and front desk, to the housekeepers and room service waiters were warm, welcoming and utterly professional. I shall return. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank rhin0nyc
DOSHIDowntown, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Select Memphis - Downtown (Beale Street), responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel. We love to hear when we exceed our guests' expectations! It sounds like you enjoyed our hotel and your stay in the city of Memphis. I am delighted to hear that you found your room to be clean and comfortable and our staff to be friendly and helpful. We love it when we hear that we have met our goals of providing clean and comfortable accommodations and excellent customer service. Thank you again for your comments. We hope we are able to welcome you back to our location in the near future!