“Nice place but needs work”

Baymont Inn & Suites Memphis East
Ranked #53 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 31 October 2007

The staff on check-in was quite courteous. A few minutes after getting to my room, they even called to see if everything was satisfactory. After a six hour drive, all I wanted to do was take a nap so it seemed that everything would be alright. It would be later on that I started to notice small things that would take some of the gloss of my initial impression.

The carpeting of the room is in dire need of replacement. It has managed to stretch and appears to be bunched up in places. There are, what appear to be, stains that either could not/were not removable.

When I searched for a telephone directory, the only directory that was available was the white pages that had businesses available only if you knew the name of the business. The instruction card on the telephone was incorrect is stating that you were to dial #8 to get an outside number instead of #9 as was instructed by the front desk staff.

The final straw was on the final morning of my stay when I discovered a multi-legged insect crawling across the nightstand.

This property, from the outside, looks to be in good condition. However, good looks can be deceiving. It just needs a bit of help to be what I expected of this company.

I have stayed at other properties owned by this company. However, this experience has left a bad memory for future stays.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank mizzou43

Reviewed 8 June 2007

I've stayed at this hotel twice for a week at a time in March and May. The rates are decent if you have a coupon from the Travel Guide or they are running a special; between $55-75 a night for a room with two beds. The area is decent and well-lighted. The staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast is good for a continental breakfast complete with juice, coffee, muffins, different types of breads and cereals, bagels, hard boiled eggs and yogurt. The exercise room is nice with a treadmill, stairmaster, exercise bike and TV. If you are allergic to pets or cigarette smoke, be sure to check your room before you rent as they allow both. Avoid the third floor especially if you are allergic to smoke. There is a nice Cracker Barrel across the street and several restaurants within blocks of the hotel. I've never tried the outdoor pool. The Internet connection can be a pain as it is sometimes slow and goes down.

For the most part, this is a good hotel to stay at in the area. It is within 20 minutes of the downtown, seems a safer area, has a good staff, is mostly clean (they need to vacuum under the beds more), and good for the money. I've tried several other hotels in this area. The Drury in is really nice across the street but costs $89+ a night and above what I want to pay even if you get a hot breakfast and drinks and snacks in the evening. The Ramada Inn has issues. I tried to rent a room there once because I had a coupon and figured since it was a chain hotel it would be nice but after looking at four rooms (three of which smelled terrible and one where the lock was broken because it looked like someone forced the door with a crowbar) I decided to stay at the Baymont instead.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Business-traveler4
Reviewed 19 October 2006

The room was dirty with stained carpets, holes in linens, and ants crawling everywhere. The second night of our stay (when we decided we had had enough) the plumbing stopped working. After first nights sleep I awoke with small bites all over my skin. Upon returning home my Dr. informed me I had bed bugs. BEWARE!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank BROUSEY
Reviewed 22 May 2006

This hotel is someway out from downtown Memphis but if you don’t mind an easy 20-30 minute drive in, it’s a good place to stay. The room was large and airy and clean enough although I’m not sure the maids make much of an effort with bed making and folding towels but if you’re not bothered about little things like this, it’s OK. Continental breakfast was included – toast, cereal, juice, coffee and waffles – it was a good start to the day but if you want something more ‘American’ there is an IHOP, Waffle House and Perkins just on the next street. The swimming pool wasn’t opened when we stayed but they were cleaning it and getting it ready for the summer. Complimentary wireless internet access was also available in the rooms.

Memphis was great – we went to Sun Records, Gracelands, the Gibson factory, the Rock and Soul Museum – if you are a music fan these are places not to be missed. Also Beale Street was very lively. We were lucky enough to be there for the Memphis in May music festival and saw BB King and Bryan Adams.

We took the car into town and were able to park really easily for about a dollar an hour. It’s very easy to drive around. I would be happy to give you more information if you want to email me.

3  Thank Anji Page
A TripAdvisor Member
Yukon, OK
Reviewed 12 May 2006

The room I stayed in had trash on the floor, some nasty stuff on the bathroom floor, and one of the beds looked liked it hadn't been washed. Despite the room being non-smoking the hallway was filled with smoke which made my room smell like it also. The wireless internet connection only worked for about an hour and then it went down. It wasn't too noisy but you could here the people in the next room and people kept slamming their doors. On the other hand breakfast was pretty good and the staff was nice. I won't be staying at a Baymont Inn again any time soon!

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Telford, England
Reviewed 30 April 2006

In the reviews it sounds good - dont be fooled. Theres no Restaurant and No Bar, although they did serve a buffet breakfast which was good. To get to the nearest Watering Hole/Restuarant (Ruby Tuesdays) (15 min walk)you have to cross a major road, and I mean MAJOR (its like crossing a race track). The rooms are clean and functional apart from the TV reception with left a lot to be desired. While I was there some college kids decided to play football in the corridor at 1 in the morning. Dont think I'll be going there again.

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 April 2006

Overall, I was not happy with this hotel. It's right off the interstate, and there are some other hotels around, as well as many fast food places. I requested a non-smoking room, and the first one I was given smelled horrible, the window was actually open (don't know if they were airing it out?). Second room better, but still smelled, but I was too tired to try for a third. Felt like I was bothering girl at front desk who was on the phone while helping me.

Hotel was noisy, not very clean at all, window didn't shut all the way, I was on the 2nd floor, but overall did not feel very safe. I stayed 2 nights, and everytime I went in or out there was a rock propping open the exterior door downstairs, which was supposed to be key access only. Limited television channels, but the included continental bfast was decent.

I wouldn't recommend the hotel, many other around that look far nicer for probably around the same rate. Stay here stressed me out w/ the noise, smell, feeling unsafe.

• Stayed: April 2006