“An alright stay”

Ranked #50 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Saskatchewan
“An alright stay”
Reviewed 1 September 2008

I stayed at this hotel for four nights it was alright considering that I was not there for the hotel, all I needed was a place to sleep and was there for the attractions in Memphis. The attractions are located mostly in downtown Memphis. If you do not mind the the drive from the East Memphis ( where the hotel is) to downtown, then its okay. But, if you do, I would recommend booking a hotel either in downtown Memphis (if you don't mind paying, but everything is only a walk away) or stay in West Memphis which is only 15 min drive from downtown.

The room was average and dirty. Our very first night, we found a huge yellow stain on the bedspread and well, we never used the blanket it ended up in the corner for the whole time that we were there. The shower curtain had stains on them, and showerhead was not appealing either. The floor was dirty, the room size was decent but if you had lots of luggage, you didn't have enough room to move around. Our door would not shut properly, so everytime you opened the door or closed it , you would have to double checked making sure it was completely closed and locked. The only thing that I found nice about this hotel was the sink. It was actually nice had you had lots of counter space. Everything in the hotel needs work or at least some updating.

I don't think I would stay at this hotel again, and its a toss up for recommending to others because the price was right for a night. Other then updating the rooms, the hospitality was nice.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelling_cdn_girl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Gunnison, Colorado
Reviewed 7 August 2008

First collection of hotels you hit upon arriving in Memphis from the East. Not too far from downtown but probably a better deal since not right next to Graceland. The rooms are much better than the exterior and lobby suggest! Front desk very helpful and friendly. Has all the amenities: coffee maker, blow dryer, wireless internet (that works), and Showtime. Above average furniture with average bed makings. Seems like an old building with thinner walls but the hotel was quiet all night.

• Liked — Surprise of the room after seeing the exterior and lobby
  • Disliked — No negative surprises
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Tennessee
Reviewed 14 April 2008

The staff was very friendly, and was extremely helpful. But the biggest memory-maker was the bed bug I found crawling across me during the night.

Yuck.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
4 Thank jh38501
Lexington, Tennessee
Reviewed 17 January 2008

When checking in we asked if this place had wireless internet access and they said they did. After checking into our room we discovered that there was no working internet access in the room. The front desk knew this but told us that they had it though they knew it wasn't working. They gave us the internet company phone number and told us we needed to contact them ourselves. We decided to leave and told the front desk at which time they turned rude to my wife. They then called later and said we couldn't leave without paying at least half. The room was not very clean either. Management never contacted us back either after they said they would get back with us about it. We will not be staying at a Baymont Inn any more.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank kwhiting73
Columbia, Missouri
Reviewed 31 October 2007

The staff on check-in was quite courteous. A few minutes after getting to my room, they even called to see if everything was satisfactory. After a six hour drive, all I wanted to do was take a nap so it seemed that everything would be alright. It would be later on that I started to notice small things that would take some of the gloss of my initial impression.

The carpeting of the room is in dire need of replacement. It has managed to stretch and appears to be bunched up in places. There are, what appear to be, stains that either could not/were not removable.

When I searched for a telephone directory, the only directory that was available was the white pages that had businesses available only if you knew the name of the business. The instruction card on the telephone was incorrect is stating that you were to dial #8 to get an outside number instead of #9 as was instructed by the front desk staff.

The final straw was on the final morning of my stay when I discovered a multi-legged insect crawling across the nightstand.

This property, from the outside, looks to be in good condition. However, good looks can be deceiving. It just needs a bit of help to be what I expected of this company.

I have stayed at other properties owned by this company. However, this experience has left a bad memory for future stays.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank mizzou43
Texas
Reviewed 8 June 2007

I've stayed at this hotel twice for a week at a time in March and May. The rates are decent if you have a coupon from the Travel Guide or they are running a special; between $55-75 a night for a room with two beds. The area is decent and well-lighted. The staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast is good for a continental breakfast complete with juice, coffee, muffins, different types of breads and cereals, bagels, hard boiled eggs and yogurt. The exercise room is nice with a treadmill, stairmaster, exercise bike and TV. If you are allergic to pets or cigarette smoke, be sure to check your room before you rent as they allow both. Avoid the third floor especially if you are allergic to smoke. There is a nice Cracker Barrel across the street and several restaurants within blocks of the hotel. I've never tried the outdoor pool. The Internet connection can be a pain as it is sometimes slow and goes down.

For the most part, this is a good hotel to stay at in the area. It is within 20 minutes of the downtown, seems a safer area, has a good staff, is mostly clean (they need to vacuum under the beds more), and good for the money. I've tried several other hotels in this area. The Drury in is really nice across the street but costs $89+ a night and above what I want to pay even if you get a hot breakfast and drinks and snacks in the evening. The Ramada Inn has issues. I tried to rent a room there once because I had a coupon and figured since it was a chain hotel it would be nice but after looking at four rooms (three of which smelled terrible and one where the lock was broken because it looked like someone forced the door with a crowbar) I decided to stay at the Baymont instead.

• Liked — Good staff and location
  • Disliked — Slow Internet that went down sometimes
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Business-traveler4
FRESNO, CA
Reviewed 19 October 2006

The room was dirty with stained carpets, holes in linens, and ants crawling everywhere. The second night of our stay (when we decided we had had enough) the plumbing stopped working. After first nights sleep I awoke with small bites all over my skin. Upon returning home my Dr. informed me I had bed bugs. BEWARE!

• Stayed September 2006, travelled with family