“Dirty Hotel in the Ghetto”

Comfort Inn & Suites
Ranked #78 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My family and I were on a road trip from Virginia to California and back. We stayed in hotels in several states across the country. This was the Worst Hotel we came across. I made a reservation through Hotels,com while on the road. I read the many great reviews about this hotel and had come to depend on the reviews of other travelers. It was approximately 11 pm and we were getting weary and needed a place to sleep. Upon arriving at the hotel as I proceeded to get out of the car my husband said , "wait, let me walk you in. There were a couple of suspicious looking gentlemen standing around the front door. There was a lot of activity around this hotel.. People were walking back and forth. The outside of the hotel was not clean, there were oil spots from cars at the front entrance and the entrance wasn't clean. It was late so I went in and checked in. The lobby was in need of an update and the persons behind the counter were not professionally presented. He told us we could drive our car around to the side to the other door to unload our belongings. There was a large sign in the parking lot advising residents to take all of their belongings out of their cars. The gentleman who checked me in was friendly so I asked him if this was a safe place to stay . He mumbled something. His shirt was not tucked in but it was late so I overlooked that too. We did not unload our suitcases because my husband wanted to check out the room first. He and my grandson came back downstairs and said the room was not clean. They said there was ice in the sink, trash in the trash cans and the towels were used. They said the room smelled smoky. I had requested a non smoking room.
Now there was a lady at the desk and I told her we could not sleep there so the gave me a key to another room on the first floor by the back door. She said we should look at that one to see if we liked it better. Upon inspecting the beds we noticed that both beds has stains on the sided of the mattress that looked like someone spilled something brown on them. The beds were made but the floor was dirty. As we left the room we noticed that the hallway was dirty and had not been vacuumed. There was plaster dust along the hallway and candy along the walls. There was a smell as well. We went back to the front desk to tell the lady that we could not sleep there and requested a refund. She said she could not give us a refund because it was made through a third party. I got in the car and called Hotels.com and reported this and requested a refund to my debit card. The person from Hotels.com said the owner did not want to refund my money but finally agreed and it should be back on my card. Well that was not true. The money was not refunded to my card. As I was sitting in the parking lot on the phone I noticed that in the Waffle house in the adjoining parking lot a Police officer was stationed at the door of the restaurant. All of these things, including the nightlife around the hotel led me to believe that I had been mislead by all the wonderful reviews of this hotel. So here we were a family of four sitting in the ghetto at a rundown hotel trying to find another place to go. Don't believe the reviews. I believe they were written by the hotel staff. This is a flop house. Go to a safe and clean place where you can relax. Oh I failed to mention the bullet proof window at the front of the lobby. When we went to return to the lobby of the hotel, the front doors were locked. The man in front of us spoke to someone through the small opening in the bullet proof window. Another man was exiting the hotel so the sliding doors opened and we were able to get in. Don't bother with this dump,

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank 671vagirl

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stayed there with my mother-in-law on Friday 7/18. We got in late and my mother-in-law is very picky. She has to review every room before we turn over the credit cards. Her room was very nice. It had brand new carpet and the bed was comfortable. It was also on the first floor and that was nice for her since she has some physical limitations. My room was on the third floor and was equally nice; however, the first room they tried to put me in had a broken ac unit and the light in the bathroom did not work. They switched me immediately. Kaela, the front desk person, was extremely nice and worked to satisfy my mother-in-law which is no easy feat. The breakfast was outstanding and everything went well. They did forget my wake-up call, but I was awake on time anyway. All in all a great stay for the money and it was literally one minute from the interstate.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank s p
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

Visiting family/vacationing for 3 nights in Memphis. The location was good and the room was clean. However, we were unhappy with the customer service. The 1st morning we received a "curtesy wake up call" at 0630 am that we did not request. We reported it the next morning and were told the wake up call would be removed. Again the 2nd morning we received the wake up call and reported it again and was told it was fixed. The 3rd morning it happened again. The person at the desk stated she didn't understand why we kept getting the call. We also got locked out of our room one of the days. We were also quoted a price the 1st night we checked in, were charged $20 more on the other nights ( and weren't told it would more). The hotel in general was nice, but it is unlikely we will stay there again due to the issues I just described.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank PRPH
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We got treated to this hotel for an overnight stay. The room was on the small side but it was cozy and nicely decorated. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was clean. We really enjoyed the breakfast as well. It was quiet and there were restaurants very close and it's very near to I-40. I will definitely be looking to stay in Qualityy Inns while traveling from now on!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cheryl H
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Where to start? We checked in, three families for three nights. My girlfriend in the next room had to ask for bleach to clean blood from the shower wall right away. Creepy!!! I came back late tonight to find the maid took my tip but left my trash overflowing, dirty towels on the bathroom floor, no clean towels for the morning and no cleaning done whatsoever. Also, no breakfast in the morning because they had three large groups staying here and had only one girl running herself ragged and she couldn't keep up. You would think they would have known how busy they would be. Poor planning on someone's part. Thank goodness for Cracker Barrel next door! I have to say the front desk staff have been very apologetic but the whole experience has left a bad taste. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Shanda P
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Staff is excellent, our room was decent and comfortable. Problem was noise of doors closing and when you flushed it would wake the dead. The Meals are good but its the same thing for breakfast everyday, no fruit and eggs and sausage patties everyday for 7 days was ridiculous. Supper was repeated every other day. They need to come up with a better menu, at least add fruit to the breakfast, change the patties to ham once in awhile and have 1 or 2 other supper meals, Hamburgers would be simple and a welcome change. This really would not be a lot to fix.

Room Tip: No suggestions for the noise problem they need to figure out how to quiet down the door noise and to...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Bob J
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 days in November. The staff was great and very helpful our entire day. Our room was decent and seemed to be very clean. Our problem with this hotel did not arise until after we returned home. While there, we used the pool everyday. Our kids loved it. However, something had to be seriously wrong with the water. It has been over a month and I cannot get the chlorine/chemical smell out of my daughters hair. We have tried every home treatment possible.. I may have to give in and take her to a salon. In addition, the smell will not come out of any clothing item that came in contact with us while wet from the pool. My husband washed his T-shirt worn there and now his entire load of wash smells permanently like the chlorine/chemical smell. I have never had this problem anywhere before. I do not know what could cause such a strong and permenant odor but something had to have been terribly wrong with the pools chemicals.

• Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank aliciajr81
G M, Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Dear aliciajr81,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that you had a concern with our pool. I wish we would have had an opportunity to address this matter sooner as the pool chemicals are tested several times on a daily basis. We hope that this does not deter you from staying with us in the future.

Loretta, GM