“average is the correct word”

Econo Lodge Downtown
Ranked #93 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The hotel is idealy located in the downtown area and for that matter the price is very much acceptable. When you get to the hotel the check - in area is on the ground floor next to the entrance to the car park. The rooms however are not on the ground floor, but start a few floors up.
The breakfast area is located on the 9th floor. So don't make your way down !!!! It is a small breakfast area so I opted to get the things I wanted and eat it in my room.
The pool is a nice plus. Loved the lounge chairs alongside the pool.
I had my questions about the cleanliness of the room as the sheets had wrinkles in the like you get when they have been used and there was a long black hair in my bed and that was definitely not mine as I have short blond hair. Despite the roomrates ( which once again were quite ok ) I think when you get into a room you should at least get a sensation that you are in a clean environment.
Did not have to many encounters with the staff, but when I did it was all friendly and helpfull.
From the hotel it is an easy walk to Beale street where you can find a nice selection of restaurants and Autozone park ( baseball field ). The waterfront is not too far either.
When travelling with public transportation: ask a local what busses do stop in front of the hotel. The transportation website is not accurate and the signs at the stop are either not there or not clear about the bus numbers.
If you are travelling on a budget to Memphis and you want a great location then stay here. If you are more of a Ritz person than this is not the place for you.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank nieb20475

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This hotel is only a place to stay if nothing else is available. We did this one at the last minute. The parking is $10.00 and you have to park your own car, but it is secured parking. We get there and we asked if we could have rooms next to each other, they said that it would be no problem. We get to one room it is okay next room, we open the door and someone is already staying in it, so they end up putting us on the 9th floor instead, (two separate floors). The walls are not sound proof because you could hear the party going on next door. Our peephole in our door was blacked out so you could not see who was at your door. The elevators were awful, you could walk the 9 floors quicker than the elevator moved. They said that this hotel had recently been remodled but I could not see where. The phone did not work in one room and our bathroom was very small. I just thought for the price we were paying $75.00 to $100.00 it would be a little better. I was not expecting the RITZ but a little better than what it really was. The breakfast was decent,the gravy and bisquits were actually pretty good. There was a variety for breakfast and it was free. Like I said the only way I would ever stay here again is if I absolutly had to and nothing else was available.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 August 2014

When my husband and I pulled up to this place we both was ok this looks old and dirty. The checkin person was nice. So you drive in the parking lot and all you see is old abandon cars. So we thought ok we will park close to a light and the elevator. The elevator can fit maybe four people and it is old. We go to the the room and I was gagging. They still had the cleaning bottle on the table and the smell was horrible. I was about to throw up it was that bad. I had to leave the room it was so bad. Yes it was cheap and cheap is what you are getting. I don't think I would stay at this place if it was free. I would have slept in my car before I would have slept in this hotel

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Angiederrick
Reviewed 2 August 2014

After reading the mix of reviews I was concerned about staying here. One observation – most of the bad reviews come from the “under 40” crowd while the better reviews are from the “50+” bunch. I belong to the latter group and I give this hotel high marks. While true that it’s not the most up-to-date hotel, you can’t beat the price for this location. Other hotels in the area cost about $200 more per night. I have better things to do with my money! One reviewer said he stayed in better and cheaper places. I have too, but they were in the middle of nowhere, not a few blocks from one of the most famous streets in the country.

The hotel’s best feature is definitely its location, very close to Beale St. We parked our car upon arrival and spent the next few days walking everywhere. At no time did I feel unsafe, even walking home at 11 pm. There is an abandoned building right next door, but it has scaffolding around it as they’re renovating this magnificent architectural specimen. It’s only 2 blocks from the Peabody, which is probably the most expensive hotel in the city. Memphis does have a lot of panhandlers, but I ran into more of them on the next street over. One reviewer stated how just anyone could enter through the garage. While visiting the Peabody ducks, I stopped the elevator on a floor just to see what it looked like, proving that the same is true even if you’re paying $300+/night.

We stayed here for four nights. Our room was beautiful, although a bit dated, but spotlessly clean. We requested a refrigerator and one was delivered within 15 min. The bed was very comfortable and we had absolutely no problems with the towels. They were fresh, clean and very nice. Every employee we encountered was friendly, courteous and helpful. I find if you greet someone with a smile, they usually respond in kind. We faced the pool, but it was quiet. There were no hoards of noisy teenagers. The breakfast exceeded our expectations. We planned on eating elsewhere, but after checking it out we decided to eat there every morning (my husband loved the biscuits and gravy!). I recommend that they add some fruit, something as simple as a bowl of sliced peaches, or some apples, or some bananas.

The one complaint that I agree with is about the elevators (and thus the slightly lower rating). They indeed ARE horrible. However, that one item would not be enough for me to not recommend this hotel. As the name states, this is an economy hotel. To stay here expecting it to be a 5-star hotel is unfair. If they charged $300/night they could also have a fancy lobby and rooms. As it stands, this is the best value for your money. For under $100 you can stay just a few blocks from Beale St. I think that says it all!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TXBabeForever
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I paid $159 for two nights--this included the daily parking fee of ten bucks. Room was large and clean. Outstanding continental breakfast. Walking distance to Beale Street, Mud River, and the ball parks. A Denny's is located a couple blocks away. The clientele at this hotel might be more prone to party and make noise...but I was never disturbed in my room. (Walking down the hallway was a different matter.) Memphis is OK to drive if you're worried about that. If you want to be downtown and save money, this is your place...if you want to splurge, hit the Peabody...

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank CBrandt77
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We looked this place up and decided to give it a try despite a number of negative reviews. We were traveling on a budget, and jumped at the chance to stay downtown at a relatively low cost...and I really wanted to like this place...but it just failed on so many levels.

I read a great many reviews that state the obvious...if you're going to stay close to Beale St, etc you can't expect much for that price. I get it....but still...we paid more for this hotel than any of the others on our trip through Tennessee, and it was by far the worst. First of all, the "great location" claim is a bit of a stretch. Yeah, it's only a few blocks from Beale St...but we determined on the first night that the blocks in between Beale and this place were not the kind we cared to be out walking after dark. Many of the adjacent buildings are abandoned.

Second....nobody on the staff here smiled at us the entire time. Come on people, you're in the hospitality business!

Towels....it's not rocket science....if the room is registered with 4 guests, you need to leave 4 towels. All 3 evenings we had to call for more towels. To their credit, the housekeeping staff did take care of it quickly.

The elevator...as many have said, it stops on EVERY floor....takes forever to get from street level to your room. Also, we couldn't 'summon' the elevator from any level above the lobby or below our room....so where we parked we were out of luck and had to take the stairs.

The pool....hardly usable. both afternoons we were there, the pool was completely over-run by terribly rowdy teenagers, most of which were not even guests. Some of them were family of the staff (as we observed them with the staff members earlier and later)...some were kids that simply walked into the parking garage and took the elevator up to the 8th floor where the pool was...as there was nothing to stop anyone from doing so...and no staff did a thing about it (and a number of them went past. They simply passed by while these obnoxious teens swam in their clothes, wrestled, threw each other around and hurled profanity at each other.

The second night we were there, we had a bad storm in town...and somehow, on the 9th floor (not the top), the window and ceiling leaked....badly. We called down and told them what was happening, and the man at the desk didn't sound at all surprised. He said he'd give us another room.....so down to the lobby we go, with both kids and all our baggage, to be handed a key to another room on the same floor....back up the terrible elevator...to find this room was already occupied. We sat in the hall on our wifi looking for another place, as we were ready to give up...when a passer-by came and heard our tale. On his way out, he apparently told the man at the desk what was going on....and he then came up TO us and gave us the keys to another room, down on the 8th floor. This room was nicer than the previous one (no leaks, a bit cleaner, and beds weren't as overly-soft), but we soon discovered that the toilet wouldn't flush. The valve to refill the tank was broken. I called to point this out, and it took until the following afternoon for it to be repaired. The rest of that night and the following morning I had to fill the tank by using our ice bucket and water from the sink.

They also need to stop advertising that they have a BBQ restaurant on site....it was closed and has obviously been so for some time.

After all of this, there was no offer of any discount or anything to try and make up for all of the hassle. (and that's after they charge you an extra $10/day to park in their garage...something they fail to mention when you book.)

As I said, I really WANTED to like this place...but it's a total swing and miss. It needs to either have a major over-haul and new management....or just be done with it and convert the remaining 3 floors into more parking for downtown.
I hate to say it, but the only reason I even give it one star is that the site won't allow zero.

Room Tip: another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Matt M
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Although there are some negative reviews, this was not the worst place we stayed on our trip and wasn't too bad overall. Front dest was efficient and helpful both at check-in and out. While the two rooms we rented were without towels when we arrived, housekeeping quickly remedied the situation. The rooms have updated TV's and are in need of some updating but was still ok. The walls are pretty thin and it was pretty easy to hear comings and goings throughout the night. The shower is a little low but water pressure was good. Parking was $10 per night and ample. The location was fantastic. We had a nice view of downtown and was within walking distance of Beale St. Due to the massive rain, we didn't get to venture out as much as we would normally. We found a nice little club across the driveway of the parking garage. I do agree with previous posters regarding the elevator. It is very slow and a friend and I were in it when it stopped at several floors but would not open the doors. :(
Breakfast was a pleasant surprise. It's complete with GIANT muffins (blueberry, banana nut, and chocolate/chocolate chip), bagels, danish, cereal, waffles, biscuits and gravy (not dry), and coffee, milk, orange and apple juice (not watered down).
While this is not the best place we could have stayed, it certainly wasn't the worst. So, if I was in the area again, I would consider this due to location and price.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends