“charming hotel”

Ranked #8 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Denver
“charming hotel”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This renovated boutique hotel was quite charming and we had a most enjoyable, though short, stay. Good downtown location. Very nice rooms and baths, a Keurig coffee maker in the room. The bar/restaurant downstairs was a pleasant place to have a cocktail. The hamburger we had there the next day for lunch was wonderful! Since it was pouring rain during our visit there I wish we had seen the umbrella in the closet available for borrowing! (A nice touch). The hotel is pricey, and I suggest you get a firm price quote when you make a reservation. They have assorted discounts which help if you mention them.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MizTDenver
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Thank you for staying with us and posting your review. I would first like to apologize for there not being an umbrella in your room. It is our standard to have this “nice touch” and our Executive Housekeeper will follow up with team regarding the missing item. I am glad that you enjoyed your overall stay and look forward to you visiting us again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Sandston, Virginia
Reviewed 1 January 2014

A friend and I stayed at the Madison for 3 nights in September and we loved it. We booked thru Priceline for a very reasonable rate. Our room was located next to the elevator, was small with one double bed and a view of the brick building next door but for the price that we paid, we had no complaints. The bed was comfortable with modern furnishings and the room was quiet. The hotel is well-located downtown - about a block from the trolley station and within easy walking distance to many shops and restaurants. There's a beautiful view of the Mississippi River from the roof top bar which seemed to be a very popular spot when we were there. I can't compliment the hotel staff enough. Everyone we met at the hotel was pleasant, friendly and very helpful with suggestions of what to see/do on our first trip to Memphis. Thank you for a great weekend!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our property. We couldn't agree more with your assessment of our location. Our guests find that we are conveniently located to all the best restaurants and entertainment including our restaurant, eighty3 and our lounge, Twilight with those great views of the Mississippi River that you mentioned. We also appreciate your acknowledgement of our staff and will be sure to let them know of your kind remarks.
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Make sure you write down their cancellation policy when you make your reservations. I booked a room in August and cancelled it 48 hours prior to my stay in December. I just realized that they charged me for the room. I understand cancellation policies (72 hours prior), but it would have been nice for them to inform me when I cancelled that I would still be charged for the room.. But, it is not their policy to tell you that you will be charged when you cancel your reservation, they only tell you this when you book your room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank mefe2013
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
I would like to sincerely apologize for the confusion regarding your reservation and our cancellation policy. I hope you will allow us an opportunity to recover from this experience.
Metairie, Louisiana
Reviewed 27 December 2013

My boyfriend and I took the Amtrak train from New Orleans and stayed at the Madison for a long weekend over Thanksgiving. The Madison was a fantastic hotel with wonderful staff, rooms, amenities, and food! The room was a Jr. Suite with a nice sized living room and king bed. The bathroom was huge with a shower and tub. The weather was a little chilly for the Twilight Sky bar to be open for the whole weekend, but it was a great view nonetheless. Our last night in Memphis, we took a cab to Restaurant Iris for a special dinner. The New Orleans chef and cajun inspired food was incredible!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the Mississippi River!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank solarchild
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your Thanksgiving Holiday with us. We would love to see you again soon.
new york
Reviewed 24 December 2013

we spent 3 nights at the madison and had a beautiful room (after rejecting the first room offered, which was small and didn't have a view) and enjoyed our stay there. the staff was very friendly and the rooftop terrace was wonderful - gorgeous views of the river and a relaxed atmosphere. we had a couple of problems with maid service - had to ask for extra toilet paper and had only one chocolate on the bed at night for 2 of us - but these were quickly resolved. i wish breakfast had been included at the price we paid, but the restaurant was reasonable. it was a quick walk to beale street and we rarely used our car (which we parked around the corner in a public garage, much cheaper than the valet parking in the hotel).

Room Tip: you can get a view of the river from some rooms...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
Thank you for staying with us and reviewing our property, it was our pleasure serving you while you were in town. The Executive Housekeeper is aware of your comments regarding your service and will follow up with the team. On your next visit I would like to encourage you to book directly with the hotel to receive a $10 dining voucher for the restaurant as our appreciation. Once again thank you for your feedback.
Collierville, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Staff was excellent and very friendly. Location is okay. It's a bit of a walk to most attractions downtown. Paid for $150 room which after taxes and the mandatory $30 valet parking turned out to be $200. The shower in the room was awful, there were two temperatures, freezing cold and scorching hot! Nothing in between, and if you found warm water, it lasted about 30 seconds before it randomly switched back to scorching hot again. Just not crazy about the price and quality or lack there of. Views were nice but you could hear the trolley running even from the 14th floor! As a fellow Memphian, I was pretty disappointed. $200/night is expensive for a hotel in Memphis, and I expect a hot shower at that price. The bedding was extremely comfortable and can;t complain about not getting any rest.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
I appreciate you making us aware of your concerns. Our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineering are looking into the problems you experienced with the shower. I am sorry that you experienced these problems and hope you will give us another opportunity to recover from this service break down. Once again, thank you for sharing your candid comments.
London
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I must admit to being surprised by recent critical reviews, as these do not reflect my own recent experience of a three night stay at the Madison. My high floor room was very comfortable, a good size with a large bathroom and high-quality fixtures. It also had good views of the Mississippi and Mud Island. I had a good experience of room service and found all the staff friendly and efficient. I would particularly like to single out Sheila, Cynthia and Xavier for their help in making my stay so successful. The hotel is well located for most downtown destinations, and the convenient hundred-year-old trolleybuses provide an entertaining means of travelling further afield. I was able to get an excellent rate from the hotel website which and therefore was happy to pay the rather high overnight valet parking fee. However, I could've used the somewhat less convenient, but abundant public parking garages, the location of which the valets are happy to point out to you. All in all, the hotel made my trip to Memphis both memorable and successful and I'd be happy to return at any time.

Room Tip: Recommend high floor rooms 14 floor and above with views of the Mississippi River i.e. West facing...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank PTripLondon
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for your kind remarks and recognition of Sheila, Cynthia and Xavier. They are truly assets to our team. It was our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Madison Hotel.