“Excellent value & location BUT didn't quite respect the hotels.com reservation”
Review of Madison Hotel

Madison Hotel
Ranked #8 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 12 June 2014

We booked Madison Hotel on HOTELS.COM and it was everything excellent that it is made out to be. Tripadvisor gives it generally excellent reviews and I agree. Rooms were great, clean, well serviced, generous - the staff friendly, the rooftop deck perfect - location fantastic - just half a block from the main street and three or four short blocks to all the bar action - which means you are home in a few minutes whether you take the trolley for $1 which drops you off 100 feet from the door or enjoy the short walk.

What we did not like was that as soon as we got out of our car, the doorman (anthony bonds?) was quick to ask us how we booked and we said hotels.com. He said the hotel was fully booked and so it was unlikely we could have a room and that it would take some time before his hotel would even know I had a reservation. He said "let's not get you parked until we know where you are going to stay in case we have to walk you over to another hotel". This was all very strange. As soon as I was inside and picked up my one to call hotels.com, I gathered that my reservation was fine - it was busy but they had accomodated us in an upgraded king room which to be honest, is what I am pretty sure I booked. The gentleman at the desk and the doorman both said that anthony had made sure that it happened for me and he was happy to make sure I wasn't stuck in the city where there was no place to stay. I have to say, my sense is that it was all to get tips. It simply makes no sense to me. And since when you arrive - this is your first impression - then fair to say that my first impression was that I had arrived in a city with no room and was stuck trying to find a place to stay rather than the comfort of knowing my reservation would be honored. So that is a fail.

Room Tip: All rooms seem good - but higher is definitely better for the view. Try and look out over the river...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for staying with us we appreciate your detailed response regarding your stay. I would like to apologize for the confusion regarding your arrival experience. Anthony was under the impression that you did not have a confirmed reservation and was trying to not cause you any unnecessary inconvenience if that was the case. I am glad to see that besides this misstep you enjoyed your experience at the hotel and we look forward to your return visit.

There are newer reviews for Madison Hotel

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Very satisfied with a two-night stay here. I intend to return on my next trip to Memphis. All amenities as advertised. The "eighty3" is attached, with food and bar, a nice gathering spot. The lobby is also well-appointed and the staff courteous and efficient. And finally: the location is ideal for walking all around downtown Memphis, with on-site parking.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Erik F

We are glad that you were very satisfied with your stay and enjoyed your accommodation and our location. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I try to stay at the Madison when I am in Memphis and my budget permits. It is a modern, clean, well-appointed hotel located near my favorite part of Memphis. The night I arrived, there were Shirley-Temple-like nonalcoholic beverages and chocolate-covered strawberries available in the lobby. After a three-hour drive and a long day, they were very welcomed. The rooms are classy and have all the necessary amenities. My bathroom this time was especially well done, it seemed. I would go back again . . . .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for continuing to stay with us. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

We arrived at the hotel at 11 am after an early flight. We knew that we were too early to check in but were greeted warmly and left our bags there while we went to explore Downtown Memphis. The hotel is very convenient for most of the major attractions (except Graceland which is some way out of town) and we were able to walk everywhere. The room was nicely designed with good use of space and nice interiors. We both slept well and the room was quiet. I was slightly surprised that there was no bedside lamp on my side of the bed, but I can't say it ruined my stay! Every member of staff we encountered was friendly and helpful.

There is a rooftop bar which has super views over the Mississippi, and a ground level bar - both were quite busy, but service was swift.

If I return to Memphis, this is where I will stay.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back of the hotel and not too close to the elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CFMM59
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

We appreciate your review and compliments of our team. Thank you for letting other guests know of our convenient location. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I was pleasantly surprised when staying here for a basketball tournament in Memphis at the FedEx arena.

Very nice decor. Loved the spacious room.

The restaurant was well done-breakfast was the only meal we had here but it was excellent all 3 mornings.

The hotel was an easy walk to Beale street and the FedEx forum. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for staying with us during the basketball tournament. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Four star hotel located in downtown Memphis, near all attractions and sports stadiums. Excellent rooms and amenities. In walking distance to the river and convention center. Nicole McGee - front desk associate was absolutely outstanding - exceptionally friendly service from each and every employee of the hotel. If you love great old hotels - the Madison is a must visit. Will come back to spend a weekend with the family

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for your kind remarks and recognition of the team and Nicole. She is truly an asset to our team. It was our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Madison Hotel.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Room upgraded at check-in as the requested room was not available. Also given discount vouchers for the restaurant next door. Really nice touch and unexpected. The person at check-in was extremely helpful and friendly as was all the staff. The suite was spacious and had a separate bedroom and living room with TV in each, kitchenette and 2 work desks. Really large bathroom. The suite was superb! Because it was so nice, we took time out to relax from doing the touristy things. It’s a beautiful, chic hotel in the quiet part of town. Great location, 10 mins walk to Beale Street. Close enough but far enough away not to be distracted or annoyed by the sounds reverberating from Beale Street over the weekend. Love the rooftop bar and chilling out on the lounge, watching the sunset over the Mississippi. Brilliant view! Great value and wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Junior suite or king suite with a river view. Visit the rooftop bar, great atmosphere.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank L2TBug101
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for your detailed review. We appreciate your recognition of our front door and front desk staff. We are also glad you enjoyed your accommodation and our location.