“A perfect hotel!”
Review of Madison Hotel

Madison Hotel
Ranked #13 of 139 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Recently we stayed here for our anniversary and had a wonderful time. Being from this area we have pretty much done it all, but one thing we had never done is the Memphis tourist thing, this is the hotel we decided on. First off the staff if there for your every need, they had the wine and fruit waiting in my room upon arrival, had breakfast in bed, and easy check-in and check-out. The restaurant, Eighty3, found in the hotel, was top flight, the Twilight Bar is one of the best bars in the city (from the top you see the Mississippi like you have never seen it before, drink top flight drinks and local beer with flawless service. Now to the room, it is a very trendy hotel with all the amenities of any really good hotel, nice bed, great views, in-room safe and refrigerator, wet bar and snacks, large HD TV, hard wood floors, and finally a great bathroom with large mirrors and lighting my wife loved. The one aspect that always does it for me is if they have a rain shower and this one had one and it just completed our trip. This is a great hotel and I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Get a riverview
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank timfullen
lleemadison, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

We are extremely happy that your stay was perfect and appreciate your recommendation to other guests.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,147)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed with a good friend at the Madison for a mid-week visit of Memphis. Booked through Orbitz using a discount code, otherwise we may have chosen a less expensive venue. I did a lot of research with the various hotels and read as many reviews as I could since we were coming from a long way away and wanted to make sure we had made a good choice.

Pros: We found the hotel to be clean, well-decorated and well-maintained. The overall decor is vibrant and (I think) a nice change from the decor of many chain hotels. The hotel boasts of valet parking, a good, central location, and easy access from the nearby interstate. A twice daily visit by cleaning staff, including a 5p.m. turn down is a service proudly advertized.

We arrived early evening for a slightly later check-in. We were welcomed immediately and check-in was a breeze (less than 5 minutes). The receptionist pointed out several helpful tips without being asked, made several suggestions and answered our questions without problems. We were issued our keys but had to show ourselves to our room. Although I prefer this, some travelers may wish to have help with their bags.

Our room was clean and met our expectations. Bath is spacious. Nice coffee maker, Television and sound system in the room, along with an alarm.

The hotel's location is very good, with excellent access to the highway in less than 2-3 min. Great access to Beale Street and other downtown Memphis locations. (During our stay the trolleys were out of service, but we chose to walk in any case.)

Cons: A great decor and fancy rooms do not make up for haphazard service. I would have given a very good rating to The Madison, but a hotel is more than just a building. I paid $474.00 (incl. fees and taxes) for two nights after a $99.00 from Orbitz. When I considered what I paid, things began to unravel. Here's why:

Twice daily room service never materialized. Is that bad? After a day of sightseeing in 95 degree heat we returned to our room to cool off and shower before heading out for a night on Beale Street. When we returned at 3:00 p.m. our room had still not been made. It was exactly as we had left it at 9 a.m. A shower was impossible, since our still-wet towels from the previous evening were still on the floor. I spoke to the receptionist and she immediately made a call to gentleman in housekeeping, who arrived with clean towels within 10 minutes. He promised to add the room to 'the list' and asked if there was anything else we needed. I indicated that the breakfast tray from the neighboring room had yet to be collected from the hallway floor and that it was probably time for the tray to be removed (at nearly 3:30 p.m.). Our room was attended to with the next hour.
I personally do not believe that I should have to ask for clean towels or room attendants in what aspires to be a modern 4-star hotel. The difference between a good hotel and a great hotel lies in the details. A great hotel anticipates a guest's needs and doesn't wait to asked. At the Madison the door was opened for me every time I approached the door, except once: that was when I was leaving and had my hands full with my luggage while two staff members stood a few feet away comparing tips. Not a good impression.

The question is: Would you stay there again? The answer is probably, because many of the service related problems I have mentioned are not unique to this hotel. What some travelers would naively refer to as a slower, perhaps 'Southern' way of doing things, is more often the simple disinterest of staff too comfortable or not properly motivated to go the extra mile to provide excellent customer service. Good staff need direction and motivation. As a former manager in the service industry, I know this to be true at all times.

With a little follow-through in housekeeping the Madison could be a real, top-notch hotel in a city that needs one. The staff (with the exception of reception and management) generally seems to lack any urgency.

Biggest likes: Clean modern design in an old building. Overall very friendly staff! (despite the minor issues we had). Location!

Biggest turn-off: Outrageously expensive valet parking (Sorry, it is a rip-off at 29.00/night. Park around the corner at Brinkley's for maximum 6 dollars a day and walk the 45 seconds to the hotel!). 2. No breakfast buffet offered. I feel this is a big negative for a hotel aspiring to be the best in Memphis. For the price paid, I shouldn't have to fork out even more money for an expensive a la carte breakfast in the adjoining restaurant. 3. The super sound system and radio in the rooms are iPod devices. I don't have an iPod, so I don't know how the sound system sounds, no matter how expensive it is.

I think management DOES care, and I think this hotel could be GREAT.

Room Tip: Forget $29,00/night valet parking; use the parking garage around the corner (Brinkley's) for $6...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jens K

Thank you for your detailed review. We will discuss your feedback with the team and look forward to your next visit being GREAT.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

This hotel is outstanding... great location, service, staff and facility! Rooftop bar has fabulous view of the Mississippi River and the rooms are comfortable and well appointed. Highly recommend trying this place before any others in Memphis!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing west, as high as possible in order to see the river.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for recommending the Madison Hotel and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed at the Madison for a night on the way to Ole Miss. The ladies at the front desk were exceptional and offered us great suggestions of stuff to do in the area. It's in the heart of Memphis, on a few blocks from Beale. Great views of the Mississippi River. Rooms were spacious and modern.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us as you passed through Memphis. We will let the front desk team know of your kind remarks.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

The Madison Hotel is a very friendly hotel in Memphis. We had a large double room with 2 very comfortable queen beds and spotlessly clean. Every single member of staff we came across was very friendly and smiley. We ate in the restaurant eighty3 which is attached to the Hotel where the breakfasts were really good, (but tables around us were never cleaned), and the dinners were OK. There is a lovely, comfortable, open air terrace overlooking Memphis and the Mississippi but it was very windy when we were there - but at least the sun was shining! Really pretty at night with the bridge over the River all lit up and all the lights over the city. The reason we were in Memphis was to visit Gracelands and the hotel arranged for a very helpful lady 'Gwen' the taxi driver to take us there. She also is very friendly, informative and efficient and reasonably priced and also took us to the airport (about half an hour's drive) for our onward journey. We walked to Sun Studios from the Hotel which took about half an hour. We also walked to the Peabody Hotel to look at the ducks. This hotel is much livelier and it was nice to come back to the serenity of the Madison Hotel. Would recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MuvGeez

We appreciate your recommendation and will be sure to let Gwen know of your compliments.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Madison has done a great job a creating a cool, modern comfortable hotel. It was raining cats and dogs when we arrived (5 inches fell that day), but the doormen were waiting with umbrellas to escort us into the hotel, take care of our luggage and park the car, so we stayed dry. The lobby and sitting areas are lovely and the tall windows are accentuated with lovely long curtains. We had a double king room which was nice and spacious. I was very pleased with the size! The love seat was especially fun. Beds were comfortable and the rain-head shower good. The room had it's own Keurig coffee maker with quite a few pod choices, which is a nice touch, until you realize there is only dry creamer and no Equal or Splenda. The addition of some super-pasteurized 1/2 and 1/2 would have allowed real enjoyment of coffee in the room in the morning. It seems a shame to have such a nice set-up. Instead, I went to the bar and purchased a cup of coffee.

The gym is terrific! Top notch equipment, and it's in an old bank vault that they've cut through. There's also a lap pool! These are nice amenities and added a lot to my stay.

We didn't get to enjoy the rooftop bar because it was closed, on account of the torrential rain. We did pop out there late at night during a break in the rain and the view was terrific. The regular bar is fine, but small, so if you don't get a seat at the actual bar, take your drinks out to the lobby, which is how we enjoyed ours.

This is a very good hotel and the staff was very nice. It's easy walking distance to Beale Street. I get to Memphis every few years, and this has just become my "go-to" hotel there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your detailed review. We appreciate you making us your “go-to” place when traveling to Memphis.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

While I am giving this hotel an “average” rating, it is on the lower end of “average”.

The staff is friendly and the lobby is quite nicely decorated. The location is pretty good in that it is close to Beale St (about 20 min walk). The rooms need some renovation help. The rooms aren’t bad, but they are a little worn down. We could tell that our room had not been renovated in many years, based on the condition of the carpet and wallpaper. Additionally, the rooms are on the small side.

I would stay here again, but I would want them to do some renovations first.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Angie H, General Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your hotel experience with us. We truly value and react to all guest feedback. I am glad that you felt the staff was service oriented and that you appreciated the hotel decor. I am surprised and sorry that you didn't enjoy your guestroom. We do have many different room types and some rooms are smaller than others. We have been renovating our guestrooms this year with new hardwood floors, new carpeting and new drapes - so I was surprised by the carpet and wallpaper feedback. I assure you that I will personally inspect your guestroom and address your concerns. Thank you again and I hope you will give us an opportunity to redeem ourselves in the future.
Angie Hines, GM