“Very small room for the price”
Review of Madison Hotel

Madison Hotel
Ranked #7 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Columbia, Missouri
“Very small room for the price”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The Madison is a luxury hotel, so the bed and bathroom were as expected. However the room was very small for a 200 dollar a night room. The rooftop bar is quite lovely, but only on weeknights. On weekends, it turns into a loud club with a cover charge - no room for the hotel occupants. Wifi in the room was spotty. Valet parking only.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Kristy S, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for taking time to post a review. I am sorry about the confusion with the rooftop; we do not charge a cover for hotel guest. I hope that you will come back to Madison when you are back in Memphis.

Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Modesto, California
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The bad...Check-in was a horrible experience. The clerk was NOT helpful or friendly at all. The hotel at first glance was NOT inviting. They messed up on my bed choice and blamed me. It was NOT my fault. Than they were going to charge me an extra $60 per night to have two beds instead of one queen. It did get all straighten out and they honored my original price. Rose was really bad at giving the valet my messages to bring my car up. She forgot twice. It takes about 15-20 minutes to bring your car up from valet...so CALL EARLY but DONT talk to Rose. I do not believe it was a Valet issue but a communication from Rose issue.

The good....My favorite employees were Cynthia, Desiree and Sharita. My hotel maid was awesome, but I never got her name. After a disastrous check-in, the remainder of my 9 night stay was perfect. We had an amazing room (1605) with river views. The restaurant downstairs had amazing service and great food. The Elvis waffles are AMAZING. The hotel was in a perfect location for us to walk everywhere. The bedding is great and comfortable to sleep in. Great turn down service with chocolate.

So...would I stay here again? With the exception of the Valet and check-in issues, yes I would. With that being said, those issues really put a damper on our stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank somlvr
Angie H, General Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Your feedback is invaluable to me and I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences from your most recent stay. I also want to thank you for including both the good and the imperfect encounters with the Associates. I will address your concerns with the appropriate team members and I will share your kind accolades at our next all team meeting. I am glad you will return and look forward to showcasing our true Award Winning Service culture.

Angie Hines
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We stayed two nights in a junior suite: small kitchenette, living room, bedroom and luxurious bathroom. The couch in the living room was not that comfortable for sitting and watching TV but the bed was super comfy and the whole suite was very clean. All of the staff we encountered were friendly, professional and helpful. The location is excellent, within easy walking distance to Beale Street. Wifi was included and we used valet parking ($29). We had breakfast in the lobby restaurant and it was ok - they mixed up my order with my husband's so my grits were on his plate and his potatoes were on mine. Next day we ordered room service for breakfast - there was only one napkin for the two of us and they forgot to include forks. These little oversights are the only reason we didn't give this hotel a 5-star rating. Had drinks one night at the rooftop terrace - excellent view overlooking the Mississippi.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maria C
Maria,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of the hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your room and the hotel. I am sorry for the issues in the restaurant and I will have our food & beverage director look into the issues that you encountered. I look forward to seeing you at the Madison the next time you are in Memphis.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Smallish, but certainly an adequate sized room for a downtown hotel. The price compares favorably to other downtown Memphis hotels. The rooftop view is outstanding and highly recommended.

Valet parking, as usual, was too high, but during our second night we parked in a covered garage for eight dollars. (It was the same garage that a nearby hotel uses for their valet parking). Included internet was spotty.

The walk to Beale Street is a short one, but at night one must pass a lot of empty and rundown storefronts. During my stay 12 years ago, the trolley was running, which made the trip feel safer.

Room Tip: Our corner room next to an elevator didn't have much of a view, but we couldn't hear the ele...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Joe,

Thank you for taking time to write a review. I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel and Twilight. Look forward to having you back at the Madison.

st. louis
Reviewed 17 August 2014

The staff was phenomenal. The check-in, and concierge were super friendly.The room was modern, clean. The bar upstairs was a destination on its own. We didn't use the valet but reasonable parking across the street from the hotel. Beautiful artwork on the walls. Other gusts told us the restaurant was great .

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade to suite.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank everywheremom
Kristy S, Manager at Madison Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of the hotel. I look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Memphis. See you soon!

Marion, Arkansas
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Have stayed at this hotel multiple times and have never had and issues. The location is great!
It's within walking distance to Beale Street and the river. Good workout facility. The room is little worn down but very clean. The Madison roof top has the best view. Carlos at the Twilight bar (yes, the same guy from the Westin bar) is hilarious and our favorite bartender in Memphis. His service was outstanding and we want to bring him home. Downtown Memphis is the best for great restaurants and live music.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Mary,

Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed Twilight and Carlos. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Another great stay. Second time this month. Moved from the Peabody to here. Service great, rooms clean and well redecorated. Highly recommend this place. Hands down the best roof top views in the city. I suggest you eat the green tomatoes Benedict.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Jim,

Thank you for your review. It has been a pleasure having you at Madison and we look forward to seeing you again soon.