“A wonderful little secret, in the heart of downtown Memphis.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Madison Hotel

Madison Hotel
Ranked #8 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Memphis, TN
“A wonderful little secret, in the heart of downtown Memphis.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Madison Hotel for my 40th birthday. We booked for our first time with Hotwire, at the suggestion of a friend. We were initially concerned that we might recieve "bargain" treatment, since we paid a "bargain" price. Nothing could have been further from the truth. The staff was incredibly friendly without being overbearing and intrusive. It is a beautiful hotel. Despite being in a historical building, we found the accomodations to be anything but. The rooftop terrace has probably the best views found anywhere in Memphis. We live in the area, but really had heard relatively little about the Madison. We've stayed at some larger hotels both in and out of Memphis, including the Peabody, the Westin and the Hard Rock. Although definitely impressive, our stay at the Madison was truly above them all. It is a quaint, charming hotel, with lots of character. I really can't say enough about the hotel and it's staff. We will be back, and definitely recommend the Madison over any other hotel in Memphis.

1 Thank melissa1069

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2009

I was hoping to get the Peabody when I put in 4 star or greater for $150 on Priceline, but I ended up with the Madison. The front desk staff was exceptional, and knowledgeable. The bell staff was sitting in a chair in the foyer most times I walked by, not that welcoming. The bedding was great, toiletries good, TV selection good, location was excellent, but this is not a 4 star hotel. Ok, it is an older hotel, but the grout in the shower was cracked and falling out, inconsistently patched in places, and brown in others. The coffee maker in my room did not work. The breakfast was decent, a huge amount of fresh fruit, which was exaclty what I would expect for a 4 star hotel. I am in the hospitality business, and would say the manager needs to be walking this property, and inspecting the details of the rooms and the bell staff. For the price I would recommend it, but not for rack rate.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank kipptraveler
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2009

Although this hotel was advertised on all most of the travel sites as a 4 star hotel and on Hotwire as a 4 1/2 star hotel, I would not hesitate to say that this hotel has been highly over rated. Although nice enough, clean, and a very friendly staff, three stars should be all that The Madison receives. Very average. The rooms are tiny. Ours had one queen bed, two windows overlooking a beautiful parking garage that had lights shining in our eyes all night long. The bathroom was decent, with a pedistal sink and tub/shower combination. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were the absolute worst I have EVER slept on. The hotel staff came by to offer turn down service, after we were already in bed. The complimentary breakfast was rather boring, with cereal, toast, bagels, muffins etc. and a tasteless fruit presentation. Coffee (with plenty of grounds at the bottom of my cup---uugh), juice and milk were available. We requested a cab for 8:30 AM to go to the airport and were called at 7:45 AM by the front desk to tell us that our cab was waiting. We told them to have the cab come back at 8:30 as we had asked. I'm sorry, but in my book...... to receive a 4 1/2 star rating, you have to do a little bit more than have robes, an umbrella and a safe in the guest room closet. We would have done just as well reserving a 3 star hotel for about half the price. Both the Peabody and The Westin run circles around The Madison in service, comfort and ammenities and are a much better choice for just a few more dollars. The location would better suit a business traveler rather than a liesure traveler. Virtually EVERYTHING in the blocks surrounding the hotel is boarded up, closed or under renovation. This economy must have really hit downtown Memphis hard !

1 Thank TomRVA
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2009

What a great find. The staff, ameneties, location and decor of this first class hotel are all equally wonderful. Starting with a friendly door man, beautiful entry and lobby, and ending with the housekeeping and concierge staff, this was among my most impressive hotel experiences in my many years of travel.

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Nashville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2009

Everything about the Madison met or exceeded our expectations. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room (King Suite) was fantastic with really nice amenities, and the continental breakfast topped off the experience. Also notable was the fact that while the hotel is very nice and lives up to its ratings, it was not as pretentious as I feared it would be.

California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

I recently spent two glorious nights in a suite at The Madison Hotel, in which I felt so cozy and comfortable, as if I were in my own home. The rooms were not only spacious but the bathroom met all of my prerequisites, most important of which was a good counter space on which I could spread out the many cosmetics that I can’t leave home without. Secondly, the lighting in the bathroom as well as throughout the suite was excellent.

I could certainly tell that the staff at The Madison really aim to please and, in doing so, each and every member of the staff was always gracious and friendly.

Most of all, while enjoying a fabulous dinner in the softly lit, very tastefully decorated dining room, I was thinking how I couldn’t wait to tell friends and acquaintances how delicious everything was, down from the appetizers to the fabulous chocolate soufflé –the best I’ve ever tasted. You must not miss this dining experience!

My hat’s off to the owners of The Madison, who really haven’t missed an opportunity in making every aspect of their hotel top notch.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank DonnaKramer
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2009

Very pleasant and attentive staff. Very nice room. Tremendous restaurant. Great bar. Snag a drink at the bar and take it up to the roof lounge to watch the sun set. I count my 3 day stay there as one of my best ever hotel experiences. Might seem a bit pricey but worth every nickel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple