“we loved Memphis!”

Ranked #22 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Richmond, Virginia
“we loved Memphis!”
Reviewed 14 January 2011

First of all this hotel was hard to find! Online directions will direct you to an alley that is not open to vehicular traffic. However after driving around a couple of times we found the small entrance on the back side of the hotel where we could pull in and check in. We would have liked to stay in the older, nicer rooms but they were more expensive. Our room was on the 5th floor and overlooked the pool. It was comfy but "well-worn". The a/c I think was on its last legs. I stuffed a washcloth in the casing so it wouldn't rattle so badly while we slept. Also it didn't look too clean, but since it was 100+ during our stay with high humidity frankly I was just grateful it was in working order. The hotel needs to be refurbished, but we were ok with it for several reasons. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was fabulous. The fitness area was above average for a mid-grade Marriott. We really enjoyed the pool area! I am surprised others have complained, we loved it! Instead of being an indoor over-sized bathtub it is a large outside pool with a big built-in hot tub! The trolley to Beale Street was right outside the hotel. We had planned to stay for one night but extended out stay an extra night after our first night on Beale Street. We took in Beale Street, Mud Island, had a night-time carriage ride, Sun Studio (a must-see!), Gibson Guitar factory tour, Graceland, Peabody ducks, and more! Also ate at a couple of restaurants recommended by front desk staff-can't remember the names but all were wonderful! In short the room itself was just ok but the city, the staff, and overall experience of the hotel were such that it rates above average.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank nckyva

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Reviewed 21 November 2010

Hotel is in the midst of rennovations; housekeeping could do a better job cleaning the rooms - but overall OK. Great location for Beale Street. Had a great time in Memphis. Go to the Blue Plate Cafe across the street for breakfast - it was awesome.

Pittsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 November 2010

Stayed here with two co-workers. One of them was in the "historic Kress building", which is the one connected to the main building by a walkway off the third floor. A little inconvenient, but nothing to get upset about. I thought my room was perfectly fine (501), and the wired internet connection worked great. It does time out after a while, but there's only a few seconds delay fo it to pick up again if you do anything that needs it. The location is a little hard to find (the alley complained about elsewhere is one side - there's a regular city street on the other side.) The lobby newspapers (WSJ, USA Today) are on a table in the entrance to the breakfast room. Thelobby was still under renovation, but the project is almost complete and the part that's finished was very well done. The people that work at the Springhill are really, really nice - I very much enjoyed staying there, and I would certainly go back.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
California
Reviewed 4 November 2010

Right on the Streetcar line so you can get to the tourist areas in downtown Memphis. Hotel Lobby being remodeled. The valet service was marginal at best. Often had to take my keys to the front desk to get the car parked. It was $12 per day.

Had a nice room on the 6th floor overlooking the park and the street car line. If you are a light sleeper then get a room at the back of the hotel but there is no view.

Breakfast had lots of options but it was pretty much the same thing every day we stayed there.

The area is right on the edge of seedy at night so I would not recommend walking from hotel to Beale St after 9 PM. Memphis is trying to upgrade their downtown but it needs work.

Went to Graceland and did the works. That was fun and the best thing to see in Memphis besides the Stax Records Museum where they also have a school for up and coming musicians. Stax is worth supporting with your tourist dollars.

Also nearby is the Mesquite Grill for a great Memphis dinner when you get tired of Ribs! Chef Michael did a great dinner

Nashville, TN
Reviewed 2 November 2010

My extended family and I traveled to Memphis from Nashville for a weekend getaway. However, finding this hotel was an ordeal in itself. We had to drive down a one-way alley to get to the hotel and once we arrived, only 1 room out of 3 were ready. The layout of this hotel is ridiculous! In order to get to the 5th floor, we had to go to the 3rd and walk across a skywalk then up to the 5th floor. Not to mention, my daughter and I were lying down getting some rest and the door opens right up (NO KNOCKING), the housekeeper looks around and sees me raising up and closes the door. I immediately asked what she was doing and she said that she was checking to see if we checked out early (it's 10:00am in the morning!!). I called the front desk furious and they said that they would report it to the supervisor- of which I got the feeling that nothing was going to happen. Needless to say, I will never stay at this Marriott again!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank mvh007
Washington, DC
Reviewed 14 October 2010

I travel a lot for business. Maybe I'm spoiled when it comes to the Marriott and their related hotels but I was surprised by the drop off of this Marriott compared to the many others I've stayed at. Granted, they are remodeling so the Lobby is currently not the nicest, etc. but they also don't have flat screen TVs in the rooms and good luck getting a consistent internet connection. I checked in later at night and was greeted by a somewhat unfriendly friendly fellow. I was given a handicap room with an AC that sounded like a Sherman tank, a TV with a lousy picture, and a remote that didn't work. (Room 611) He also told me to park in the parking garage across the street rather than in the lot right next door to the hotel. Still unsure why he did this as there were plenty of spots available.

I switched to a much nicer room (Room 716) the first thing the next morning with the help of a super friendly and helpful receptionist (the guy that worked Sat and Sunday morning was beyond friendly).

The positives: Location. Dircetly on North Main and close enough to Beale, the Downtown area, and plenty of sights. Far enough away that there's no late night craziness yet close enough to walk to. Also across the street from a nice park, trolley, etc. Morning receptionist was great.

The negatives: Need to modernize and fast. Elevator takes forever. INternet connection. Hotel didn't do the small things such as having a newspaper available in the lobby or in front of my door when I woke up.

Would I stay here again? Yes, but it would depend on the cost and only because the morning guy was so friendly. With that said, I'd definitely look at other places first.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
AL
Reviewed 12 October 2010

After reading reviews on-line we arrived at the back door to find it was under construction, the reception desk wasn't really a desk but the service turned out to be great. Everyone was very nice, we got our rooms early but I don't believe the pillows were not feather like I requested. They were pretty booked so it might have been because of that. the hotel is about 4 blocks from Beale St. The trolley stop is right in front of the hotel and the breakfast was replenished quickly enough. The 1st time we requested the car no one seemed to care about the request (we let them know we were not happy). The second time we had a very quick response. Overall the trip was real nice and the hotel worked out just fine.