Homewood Suites by Hilton Memphis-Poplar
US$346
US$232
Agoda.com
  • Pool
All reviewsapartment complextwo bedroom suitebreakfast and dinnerevening receptionhome away from homeliving areafull kitchengreat place to stayenjoyed our staythe entire staffcomplimentary breakfastdefinitely stay here againbusiness tripconvenient locationmemphis areawafflesproperty
Reviewed 16 October 2012

The location is layed out like an apartment complex. This is interesting and offers spacious rooms but presents some challenges, if you need to haul luggage up a flight or two of stairs. (We were on a two week road trip.)

The hotel has been located here for some time and has undergone several renovations. The room that we occupied was clean but musty smelling. It was supprisingly quiet despite being located next to the beltway around Memphis. It is located conveniently near east Memphis and Germantown.

Staff were friendly and the breakfast accomodation was pretty good. Bedding was comfortable and the linen's were adequate.

Next trip we'll probably try the new Marriott Hotel which is being constructed right next door.

Reviewed 15 October 2012

We stay here while working in Memphis. The employees are very friendly. I like the layout and they take care of any issues. The area near the pool can be noisy during the day. The gym is small but usable. It is nice to have a small laundry. Everything in our room was fine. I noticed they upgrade over the years. Especially with the new plaza nearby it is nice if you are trapped in the area. I went for nice walks in a nearby cemetary. I also easily took the MATA bus to/from downtown Memphis. Whole Foods, Kroger, Malco, Post Office, small library are all nearby also. I had a car this time but in the past they had a shuttle so I'd ask. My only con would be that the offered food is unhealthy. Difficult if you are healthy, vegetarian, vegan, gluten...anything really. The coffee is good at the clubhouse. They currently have some construction.

Room Tip: Be aware of pool season. I've never heard noise from the road although it is right between two busy streets.
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Girlfriends and I stayed here from Friday through Sunday for a girls weekend. Property was chosen mainly because it was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath suite and we could all stay together. Our rooms were very clean and hotel staff was pleasant. The only odd thing we had happen was that we had issues with one of the toilets on the first morning after our arrival. We called for maintenance and then left for the day. When we returned later in the evening, the maintenance crew left a note indicating the toilet was now working, but there were towels hanging OUT of the toilet! I called the front desk and was told that this did happen sometimes because the folded towels would slide off the shelf above the toilet into the toilet. No, it was obvious that these towels were never folded. And if you know that is a common problem, why would maintenance leave the toilet seat up anyway?? Nice gentleman came within 10 minutes to clean the towels out of the toilet and bring fresh linens, but I just found the whole issue rather bizarre. My only other complaint that I have is that I called the front desk and asked specifically for the total on my bill so the four of us staying in the room could split it 4 ways. She gave me the wrong amount and I didn't realize it until I got home and reviewed the charge that hit my credit card. Everyone has now parted ways so I will be eating the extra amount because of her error. Shame on me for calling instead of going to the desk and asking for an itemized bill.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2012

The room was very nice. The king bed was comfortable and there were two LG HDTVs in the suite. No HD programming available on either set. The small kitchen facility was very clean. Furniture in the room was very sturdy and clean.

The staff was very courteous to us during our stay. Housekeeping lady was very nice. Desk clerk was very accommodating. The breakfast room staff was very attentive.

My only beef is that the breakfast was just awful. I've had better at much lesser properties. There was a big pan of scrambled eggs that had been cooked extremely hard. There were small round slices of ham in another aluminum foil pan. Small enough to look like Canadian bacon, but ham just the same. There were English muffins and sliced bread. Yogurt. Some pastries that were OK, but nothing special. Coffee was in the entryway to the breakfast room and it was the highlight of the meal because it was fresh and hot. The morning we checked out, we skipped breakfast not wishing another disappointment.

Now having said that, a father and his daughter were eating breakfast. One of the staff made the little girl a large, fresh waffle and brought it to her on a covered plate. The daughter was thrilled and the father was very appreciative. Like I said -- nice staff.

I would stay here again but would scout out a different location for breakfast!

Reviewed 13 September 2012

It's been a while since my family and I stayed at this hotel, but over the Labor Day weekend, we came back to this hotel. Our last trip to Memphis, we stayed at the Homewood on Hacks Cross and I wasn't too happy there, so we decided to give this Homewood another try.

There were a couple of issues which I'll go into below, but overall, in Memphis I'll say that I'll definitely be back again. I'm not sure why Memphis hotels seem to have such a hard time satisfying travelers, but others cities just seem to do such a better job. With that being said, this Homewood does better than most.

Issues for this stay/cons--noisy air conditioning, had to take a 3rd floor room which my HHonors says I like low floors, and the biggest disappointment was that the pool was closed when my kids wanted to get in one last swim of the year.

But the pros outweighed the cons--friendliest service in Memphis, vast selection on breakfast buffet (And no...these are not powdered eggs!!!), clean, spacious rooms.

Yes, we will stay here again and again!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family