“A nice place to stay in Memphis”

Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis
Ranked #43 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Denver, Colorado
“A nice place to stay in Memphis”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stayed 3 nights in a suite over President's Day weekend. The hotel was pleasantly quiet and uncrowded. The staff upon check in was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfortable. Small refrigerator, microwave and sink as expected. 2 flat screen TVs were a nice bonus.
The hotel was conveniently located for us, not sure about for the rest of the city. We ate breakfast in the restaurant one morning and it was a very good experience. Lots of offerings from the buffet or you can order from a menu.
I found the workout facilities to be lacking. Elliptical was broken, water tank empty and no ventilation. However, you can workout in a full gym at the University of Memphis for $5 and they will shuttle you there.
We will definitely stay here again when we return to visit family.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Debbie C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
We really appreciate you taking the time to write such a nice review. We are glad you enjoyed the staff and property. We look forward to having you stay with us again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Polish first
Gilmer, United States
Reviewed 23 December 2013

The Holiday Inn, University of Memphis, is located in a nice, safe part of the city. Our suite was clean and comfortable. The restaurant food was delicious. The hotel staff was especially courteous and helpful. I will definitely stay at this hotel again if I make it back to Memphis.

Room Tip: Our accommodation was a double bed, ground floor, non-smoking suite. It was great. I have no complai...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Debbie C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Thank you so much for the great review! We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Toney, Alabama
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My wife and I stayed in this property over the weekend. The long and short of this review is simple - at our every turn the staff was there and did good work. The property is well maintained. The room well appointed with quality furnishings. The housekeeper kept our room beautifully and we never noticed her. The front desk staff drove us around Memphis to restaurants and came back and picked us up.

Anyone would consider our stay excellent. Thank you staff and management of this really nice property.

Room Tip: I have stayed here twice and all the rooms are well located to the stairs and/or elevator. Vending...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Debbie C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
I am pleased you found our hotel "welcoming". It is our goal to treat everyone like family. It sounds like the staff did just that! We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night in a king suite because we had a family function in town. The neighborhood felt safe and the location is convenient. I was very pleased by the size of the room as we have two young children who need room to roam. However, I was disappointed by the cleanliness of the room. Due to the appearance of the lobby and the furnishings in the room I expected a higher quality. The room we stayed in was in desperate need of a thorough cleaning. There were stains on the carpet, the tub seemed dirty, and there were cobwebs everywhere. Perhaps we just got a bad room because I was pleased with everything else. We didn't eat in the restaurant but we did enjoy the small museum on the second floor. We would probably stay here again and keep our fingers crossed for a better room.

Stayed September 2013
Debbie C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I am pleased that you found the hotel to be quiet and safe, the location to be convenient and the room to be spacious for the kids to enjoy. I am also glad you enjoyed the museum that honors the founder of Holiday Inn's. I am disappointed that the rooms had some cleanliness issues. I really wish you had let us know so we could have taken care of this while you were here. I can assure you it would have been taken care of immediatly. I would appreciate it if you would provide me with the room number so I can personally inspect and resolve any issues. You can provide me this information by e mailing me at dcowgill@memphis.edu.

We really appreciate you staying with us and hope you will stay with us again in the future.
Hot Springs, Arkansas
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

This is no ordinary Holiday Inn. It's part of the University's Hospitality program. I was traveling alone and so appreciated the fact the young man at the front desk didn't announce my room number. He was very discrete in directing me to my room. The room was perfectly appointed for business travel. The real surprise came with the excellent cuisine offered in the restaurant I had the seafood gumbo and it was as good as you would find in New Orleans. The prices in the restaurant were reasonable but the room rate seemed a bit high compared to other hotels in Memphis. That being said, if I have business at the University again, I won't hesitate to stay here.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Debbie C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you for the great review! We are delighted you enjoyed the delicious gumbo! I will definately pass this along to the chef. We love the fact that you were "pleasantly surprised" and that you found the hotel to feel safe. We look forward to having you stay with us again when you are in Memphis.
Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The hotel is on the edge of campus, in a quiet, mostly residential neighborhood. My husband and I spent a very pleasant evening here for a visit to our daughter, who lives nearby. We would recommend the restaurant highly---good food, fresh salad bar, and wonderfully courteous service. Our suite was exactly as pictured---very comfortable, providing the perfect place for our family evening afterward. Very attractive as a place to hold a conference center, and friendly staff all around. Interesting museum on the second level---story of the "founding father" of the Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: We appreciated being just steps away from the restaurant, on the first level.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Debbie C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Univ of Memphis, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
It is great to hear that you enjoyed our hotel, food and the service provided by the staff. We hope to see you again in the near future!
Superior, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Stayed here one night for an event on U Memphis campus. The hotel lobby area and my room were both in excellent condition. The room was actually a suite (but at a rather sweet price for a suite) and would have been great for an extended stay.

I also interacted with the front desk staff a few times and always found them to be friendly and helpful. Didn't have any food here, so can only comment on what you see above. I would definitely stay again./

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for the kind remarks. We are glad you enjoyed the suite and the Front Desk staff. Maybe next time you will get a chance to enjoy the good food! We look forward to having you stay with us again!