“Great location and made to feel at home”

Residence Inn Memphis Downtown
Ranked #14 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 15 August 2011

A gem of a hotel. An antidote to sterile corporate hotels. From first welcome to leaving, the staff made our family feel most at home. Location excellent for Beale and Main St. Good restaurants nearby, trolley stop just at the top of the road. Rooms are a good size, ours had a kitchenette with massive fridge(well, by UK standards) and a seated area to relax in. So thank you especially to Carl and the team. You made our holiday in Memphis that little bit special.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
downtowntravel38103, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2011

All of our Suites are equipped with a Full Size Kitchen Appliances so I am glad you hear you liked them. Thank you for your kind words and very hope you had a fantastic holiday.

There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Memphis Downtown

Reviewed 15 August 2011

We did a Fri/Sat trip for my daughter's 28th Birthday and to visit Graceland and other sites. Getting to the hotel was easy...parking to unload was another story. But as we stood talking to the valet attendant a car pulled away and he said we could park there for no charge. We did and I could see my car from our room and it stayed put the entire weekend. The front desk was great, no issues whatsoever checking in. Yes, the elevator was slow but hey, the bldg is a historical one which means OLD. The room was spacious BUT and had the loudest ice maker in the freezer that I have ever heard! Woke me up during the night dropping ice. There was no information for the room service that was advertised on the internet because by the time we were done with Graceland and checked in, we were more than ready for a refreshing snack. The view from the rooftop deck was fantastic. Saw the hot tub but wish they could find a way to put a pool in somewhere because THAT would have been great after a hot day sight-seeing. The trolley does go BY the hotel but the actual stop is down the block which is no big thing. We parked the car and used the trollely/bus the entire time. Breakfast was good, everyone friendly - best stay I've had at a hotel in a LONG time. Would stay here again if coming back to Memphis.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and had a great time visting Memphis!

Tracey

Reviewed 6 August 2011

Loved the service, the breakfast and the caring of the staff to make our stay the best. I must say this is the first hotel I have ever stayed at where the staff sang in the lobby in the morning. It made our stay warmer and added cheer to the day. Great job guys, the best people in Memphis working there.
A special thanks to Jerome and Olga for their assistance and next time we will be there for the cookout on the roof.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank You about the kind words on Olga and Gerald -They are both valuable employees and we are very lucky to them as a member of our team!

Next time you are here, I hope you will join in singing our daily "Huddle" We do this daily and it is always a lot of fun-We sing our Mission Statement and communicate with all our assocaties about all that is happening that day!

See you soon,

Reviewed 5 August 2011

THE BEST STAFF. Awesome full breakfast every morning. Hilarious and helpful front desk characters. Located PERFECTLY for exploring Memphis (close to Beale, Gus' Famous, streetcar, The Orpheum, Rendezvous)! And they remember you if you come back.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Thank You for posting on our Trip Adviso page and your kind works regarding our hotel and staff. We hope to see you and family again in the future!

Reviewed 4 August 2011

Arriving late in Memphis after train delays, a swift check in by friendly desk staff was just what I needed but I was then rather disappointed to find myself allocated a room (201 I think) seemingly fitted out for diabled clients and situated right next to the very noisy external air conditioning units which would have made sleep impossible. Luckily all it took was a phone call to the front desk and I was quickly offered an alternative and much more comfortable room, though I was slightly surprised I hadn't been allocated it in the first place if it was free as the initial room should definitley only be used in extremis and only after due warning given the noise.

After this initial hiccup however I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, the split level room was characterful, clean, comfortable and competitively priced, the internet-access was reliable and free, desk staff were very helpful, the breakfast was good and you really can't beat the location in terms of a central base for exploring Memphis and I'd definitely stay again should I be lucky enough to make a return trip to Memphis.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank BerkshireBloke

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay will hopefully return to see us again. Thank You again for your business! We appreciate it.

Reviewed 2 August 2011

Two of my sons and I stayed here for a few days on a multi-stop vacation. We had a room with a double and a fold out couch. It had a complete kitchen and a full size bathroom. The staff was unbelievably friendly and helpful. They made you feel as if was genuinely important to them that you be 100% satisfied with your stay. The room was very clean, but some of the bedding for the fold out couch had a few stains in it. We called down to ask for replacements and seemingly before we hug up the phone, it was there.

Breakfast is included every morning. It was the typical continental fare with nothing terribly exciting, but it was all VERY fresh. It did include one specialty item svegliarsi morning, which kept it interesting. The dining/ meeting area is very nice and has a computer kiosk with free internet access for patrons. On some night, a complimentary snack and drinks are served.

The hotel had a small, but adequate workout room which my son and I used every day. They had coin operated laundry with complementary detergent and dryer sheets, which was extremely useful to us as we packed light.

The location is EXCELLENT and a 60 second walk to the main street trolley.
My ONLY complaint - or more accurately disappointment, is that there was no pool. We stayed during record heat and there was a rooftop HOT TUB, but no pool. Too bad because we would certainly have used it and gotten some sun while enjoying the view of the Mississippi river.

I will probably stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank SaviorPeacock

Thank You for taking the time to review the Residence Inn. We hope to have you and sons come back and see us very soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

First, though we tried to valet park our car several times, two different people working there tried to talk us out of it. We also asked about self-parking but we never found out where the structure was. They told us to park on the street and that we wouldn't get ticketed. It seemed like a nice gesture for them to try to save us money, but I wasn't too sure about leaving my car on the street for three days. We didn't seem to have much of a choice, though, so we parked on the street and hoped for the best. Luckily, they were right and we did not receive any tickets (or break-ins), but it was bothersome to try to find a parking spot everytime we left and came back.

Next, the lobby and hallways were not air conditioned. When we there, the lobby felt like 90 degrees with about 90% humidity. When we first arrived, there was no one at the front desk, so we got to wait in this pleasant climate for about 10 minutes until someone came out to check us in.

The bellman (Jarrell?) was very nice and helpful. Our room was large, clean, and surprisingly cool. The lobby sells snack and items so that you can take advantage of the full kitchen in the room. Unfortunately, the hotel does not have a pool.

The breakfast in the morning was better than your average hotel breakfast, but it ended at 9 am. They also provided a light dinner in the evening, along with free beer and wine. According to one of the employees, the best night is the BBQ night (on Wednesday or Thursday), but we weren't there for that.

Overall, this was a great place to stay in Memphis. It was a few blocks (about 10 minutes' walk) to Beale Street, and a short drive to other attractions.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank agdwsu
downtowntravel38103, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Memphis Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2011

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with TripAdvisor. We apologize that the A/C was not working during your stay but the units have been replaced and the lobby and hearth room areas are cool. I hope you will consider our hotel for future stays in Memphis and please contact me at 901-322-9035 and I will pesonally assist you with your reservation.