“Sweet Spicy Love”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Neighbourhood: McKellar - Whitehaven-Levi PD
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We had the 7pc White Meat Chicken with Sweet Spicy Love Sauce (Hot).
The Sauce is more of a flavourful hot sauce than a burn-your-mouth hot sauce (a good thing).
The chicken was pretty greasy but that's what we came for. It was more of a giant hot wing than traditional fried chicken in my opinion... but we only had one kind and they offer different varieties. The corn fritters were great too.

Definitely worth a trip.
Great spot for a greasy good lunch on the way to catch a flight outta town.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

It was ok. But I have had better. The corrupted carrots are just deep fried carrots.. They did not taste good and was not impressed with them. Fries look to be fresh taters instead of the usual frozen prepackage everyone else serves. I agree with one review.. very greasy.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Want to try Uncle Lou's after seeing it on Drive-in, Diners and Dives. Everything looked good on the show. Not impressed with what we got, 3 pc white meat, biscuit and Cole slaw. The others got similar with different sides. The chicken was a little on the greases side. Might be better next time.

1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Finally got around to visiting Uncle Lou's since we typically avoid this area of town. We were craving fried chicken and decided to suck it up and make the drive. Overall the chicken was very good. I won't say excellent, because I find fried chicken is a very divisive issue. This was not really what I was looking for. The taste was good, but I found the crust to be a little thin. My reaction was that it was almost a dry-rub skin with very little flour in the crust. Taste was good, but not as juicy as I expect fried chicken to be. We got four sides... I love onion rings, but these were not made by hand, they were frozen food service and terrible. The slaw was the same, probably scooped out of a Sysco food service bucket and was awful. The corrupted carrots were better, but I wasn't that impressed. I don't like pickles, but the fried ones seemed like they were just seasoned, there was barely any crust/batter on them at all. The sides really bring down the overall experience here... something I find pretty typical of restaurants that focus on one item at the expense of another.
The biscuits were good, but again, they seemed like they were just pre-made food-service biscuts that were dipped, yes dipped, in melted honey-butter. They were tasty, but a little too sweet and really, wet.

So this review is turning a little more negative than I intended. The chicken was good, but the sides were bad to ok.

On the other hand. Uncle Lou was a very friendly and entertaining guy who is obviously passionate about his business. He welcomed us, shook our hands and made recommendations on the menu. When I said I'd get the original and pass on the sweet spicy love chicken, he brought out a few wings for us to try... both hot and regular. I don't like spicy or hot, so we stuck with the original, but I appreciated him letting us try them. As an aside, the sweet spicy is basically just the original dipped in a thin spicy sauce and were also a little too wet for my liking.

I doubt I will go back, but it is only with regret. The combination of the bad neighborhood (also far away) and the bad side items rules out a likely return visit, which is a real shame since he seems like a great local businessman. I hope you enjoy it more than I did.

1  Thank TwinDad
Reviewed 4 September 2013

All though over a year ago. We walked into uncle Lou's setting it in my GPS after watching a Diners Drive Inn's..We were traveling from Edmonton Alberta to St.Louis but decided to to land in Memphis to see Graceland of course. After an afternoon in ELVISLAND I went to my two saved Diner Drive Inn spots in my GPS one was over 5 miles away and it was a 107 heat index, so the Canadians were melting. I hit the 2nd one( Unlce Lou's ) only one mile.We sat off there. Lou greeted us, talked to us, educated us and was one of those tremendous personalities you rarely meet. What can I say, the chicken was off the charts. The sides were spectacular and the price was great. We were the highest tack pin on his world map at the time:) Don't let the strip malls condition fool you.UNCLE LOU'S is tasty,friendly and affordable.

Been to UNCLE Lou's Fried Chicken? Share your experiences!