“Regrettably not a fan...”
Review of La Guadalupana

La Guadalupana
Ranked #260 of 1,446 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
“Regrettably not a fan...”
Reviewed 13 November 2012 via mobile

I almost feel guilty giving Taqueria two stars... I feel guilty because I think it's just a two and because it seems I'm the only person in Memphis that does!

I've been several times and my conclusion is ....

The white cheese dip ... Good but nothing remarkable ... It has no kick of spice which I suppose is not it's fault .... Perhaps it wasn't supposed to have a spicy kick. As it I'd I am not thrilled at the prospect of ordering it again.

The salsa is a thin liquid texture that - again- has no spice (did they forget my peppers!)... It's tasty ... Just not to my taste.

The Guacamole is of the smashed up creamy kind... It was very tasty one time the rest it was so-so. This last visit it was too salty I could barely eat it.

The seafood soup ... I a bit tasty .. Loaded with tons of seafoody stuff - crab sticks being of the imitation crab strain which I found a bit off putting.

Fajitas ... Just you standard fare ... Tasty but nothing remarkable .... Except the corn tortillas which are tender and fresh. Shrimp always cooked properly if interestingly.

The re-fried beans are always very bland smash of pinto beans with white cheese on top... And the Spanish rice a very blah unseasoned pile on the plate.

My sister likes the Carne esada... It's always tender and cooked pretty well.

I hate that they have numbered their menu! It makes me think of all those other Americanized 'Mexican. Restaurants that I generally dislike.

I have never had an unpleasant meal here. I have also never had an even slightly remarkable one.

There are interesting menu items ... However the quality of the ingredients and how they are spiced and prepared quite simply does nothing for me.

I eat here and will continue to do so -no doubt- as to the generally convenient location for some folks I know that LOVE Taqueria! I'm not opposed to eating here.... but.... I would never be the one to suggest it.

“Been going here since I was little”
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I love the quesadillas de asada yumm ! I'm having one now! I also like the shrimp one.The chimichangas are huge and delicious.&& I also love the chicken nachos its a big plate but they are super tasty. You should check it out !

Saint Louis, Missouri
“Not Tex-Mex, but good Latin food”
Reviewed 24 March 2011

It is a simple and assuming storefront lunchplace. There isn't much to the atmosphere or appearance that would suggest otherwise; however, the food is good and fresh and tastes more like a unique meal from outside America than a standard everywhere American Mexican restaurant. If your taste buds are limited to Panchos or Chili's as your range of 'Mexican', then I don't think you will like it. Otherwise it is good food at a decent value.

• Visited March 2011
Chicago, Illinois
“Don't be intimidated by it's appearance”
Reviewed 20 May 2009

They have some delicious Mexican food in this place. The salsa on the table has a palatable amount of heat to it. I had the park tacos which were delicious in their fresh corn tortillas. I dined their alone and felt very comfortable.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Not fancy, but the Mexican food, service and atmosphere here is as real as it gets.”
Reviewed 18 July 2008