“best curry tofu vermicelli in the world”

Vietnamese Lotus Restaurant
Ranked #270 of 1,506 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 8 January 2012

it may seem expensive but wait til you see the size of it. grab one order to go and take it to the drive in. yum.

1  Thank ecovixen

Reviewed 4 November 2011

Lotus is one of my favorite restaurants ever! Everything on the menu is a show-stopper, the place is a hidden gem, and dinner moves at a slow pace so there is always a great conversation at the table. The family that owns it and runs it are charming and authentic. See for yourself!

2  Thank DJ1S
Reviewed 8 June 2011

I was a Memphian for over 30 years and Lotus was a staple in our household at least once a month or more. Whenever anyone came to town to visit, we took them here. Mr. Bach and his kids waited on us personally. We watched them grow up. He grows his own chilis in his backyard and makes a chili paste to go with his steamed pork dumplings that is so unbelievable it is a 'hot-head's heaven! Our favorite has always been the lemongrass chicken--it comes mild, medium, and hot. I once took my ex-marine brother-in-law there. Told him that the medium was pretty hot. He took his chili paste (from the dumplings) and dumped it into his medium lemongrass chicken before tasting it...he turned 3 shades of purple until we fed him some milk. He said he thought we must be 'lightweights'--regarding hot food. So if you don't like hot food, bypass the chili paste w/your dumplings and get the 'mild' lemongrass chicken. For hot-heads like me, this is the heaven you've yet to find! Don't let the restaurant's facade or the yucky neighborhood decor fool you. What you'll find inside is priceless. I miss Lotus and Mr. Bach. :)***

2  Thank eclaircie4
Reviewed 27 March 2011

Dining at Lotus in Memphis is an experience! You will be met at the door by Joe. He will be your waiter, cook, server, et al. Know that you will have a very leisurely dinner as Joe does it all. This is not fast food. It is, however, some of the best food we have ever eaten. Everything is prepared fresh. The lotus rice is out of this world. We love the lemon grass chicken, pressed duck, stuffed squid (which you have to call ahead to pre-order) and eggrolls. Never disappointed here. Sometimes Joe will suggest items for you to try. Last night he suggested the bacon wrapped shrimp. He said it is the one dish he makes that always makes him hungry. We can certainly see why. It was great. The sauce it came with was SO good over the steamed rice. Not sure if this item is even on the menu, but you can certainly ask for it and he'll happily prepare it for you!!

2  Thank pbscarbrough
Reviewed 7 August 2010

I am a Memphian, and I live within several miles of Lotus. I always get the Lotus Special. It is very good. Do not try to order the sweet and sour chicken. The owner will try to get you to order something else. It normally takes a while to get your food, so be patient. Going to Lotus is an experience. It is classic Memphis restaurant that has been around for a while. I highly recommend Lotus.

2  Thank drs4242