“Fresh food!”

Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
“Fresh food!”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Delicious traditional vietnamese food. So fresh! And the owner is very pleasant. Like to talk a lot :)

Visited September 2012

Huntsville, Alabama
“What were the other reviewers thinking??”
Reviewed 29 December 2012

We went there based on other reviews, and could only wonder what people were thinking. The 2+ hour wait was not anywhere near worth it. It was 30 degrees outside, and 56 degrees inside, cuddled in a corner and sitting next to a small space heater. Cold air drafted in through gaps in the wall where the air conditioning units were situated, as well as through the poorly insulated windows. Our feet were freezing. Everyone in the restaurant kept their coats on.

We waited well over an hour for two spring rolls to arrive, another 30 minutes for hot and sour soup, and then another thirty minutes for the entrees, lemongrass chicken and lotus shrimp. Everyone else seemed to have a similar wait.

And the food was nothing special. I have made better spring rolls in my own kitchen, can get better hot and sour soup at the most average Chinese restaurant, and the seasoning on the entrees was unimaginative and unappealing.

We were hugely disappointed in the service, in the atmosphere, and especially in the food. It was the food that was promised to make up for the other "inconveniences" of a long wait and poor atmosphere, but the food was at the same level as everything else.

• Visited December 2012
Nashville, Tennessee
“Best I ever had. Reviews were right.”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Never would have tried this if it wasn't for Tripadvisor. Very glad I did. I went with the lemongrass chicken based upon the reviews. It was fresh and seasoned outstanding. I can't wait to get back to Memphis to try something else.

2 Thank Tmccamish
Tennessee
“Ignore the outside and enjoy good, FRESH food!”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Be prepared to have a leisurely meal, this is not remotely fast food. Everything is cooked to order, and everything is incredibly fresh and cooked & seasoned perfectly. We have been visiting "Joe's" for a number of years, and made the mistake (or not, depending on your taste) of ordering garlic shrimp "hot" on our first visit. Yikes! When Lotus says hot, they mean HOT!! Now we order medium, but it's nice to have the choice. I could eat gallons of hot & sour soup here, it's the best I've ever had, and we always start with that and Spring Rolls. I can't pronounce or spell Ben Xoe or whatever it is, but try it, it's H-2 on the menu. Sort of like a Vietnamese taco - crispy outside with too much filling to identify. There's mini shrimp, pork, sprouts, and many other delights, served with Nuk mon sauce. Yea, it's fermented fish sauce, but try it anyway, it's delicious without being the least bit overpowering. It's a perfect complement for "H-2". We have never had even a mediocre meal here, everything has been wonderful, but if forced to choose, I could probably eat lemongrass-anything (chicken, shrimp, pork or beef), and my wife could live on Vietnamese vermicelli... and of course, H-2. But try it all, and let Joe suggest something if you're not sure. He might even recommend something off the menu. One final note: There is a variety of beer here, but no wine or other bar service, although you are welcome to bring your own wine and Joe will provide an ice bucket and glasses. Wow, I'm getting hungry -- enjoy!

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Bill_In_Memphis
Melbourne, Florida
“Good, Authentic Vietnamese Food”
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We went here based on other reviews. Upon stopping, we almost left without going inside because outside it was a total hole in the wall.

The owner is in fact very friendly and chatty, and they do take their time. We had 2 hours until my boyfriend had to work, were the first people there, and he just made it to work on time!

But the food was good. I know my Vietnamese. I've eaten it in Boston, Vermont, Florida, Toronto and Montreal Canada, California, New Orleans, New York, and I'm sure some other places I can't think of right now. I generally seek the cuisine out when ever I travel as I love the fresh veggies and spices and the simplicity of the food. My tummy always feels good after a Vietnamese meal.

Anyway, We ordered the Fresh Rolls, which were very good and fresh, and he brought us some sort of Pork steamed dumpling which was also quite good (he decided we needed that instead of the regular egg roll! My BF was disappointed as he loves Egg Rolls!). For the main dish I had Curry Tofu and Veggies, and he had Lemongrass Chicken. the dishes came with steamed Jasmine rice which was so soft and tender as to be almost sticky rice (yum!). Both dishes were perfectly seasoned and very tasty. Oh and huge portions. HUGE.

This is not the best Vietnamese I have ever eaten. Mr. Le's in Allston, MA still takes the prize. But this IS authentic Vietnamese which is hard to find and very, very tasty. This place is worth going to, even though it looks shady!! It would rank up there as a good #2 for Vietnamese cuisine in the country- at least of the 2 dozen or so places I've tried thus far!

• Visited March 2012