“Wow! Why did I wait so long....”

Vietnamese Lotus Restaurant
Ranked #265 of 1,440 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
memphis,tn
“Wow! Why did I wait so long....”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I have only heard outstanding things about Lotus. It took a friend from another
city to tell me how great it was, before I made the trip. The service and wait is long, but well worth it. The pho is incredible. It's magic in a bowl. The owner is very personable and nice.
The egg rolls were amazing too. The dipping sauces seal the deal. Food perfection.

• Visited November 2013

Piscataway, New Jersey
“Very tasty Vietnamese food worth waiting for!”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I have been to Lotus many times over several years but I always get the same thing, a spring roll, the garlic shrimp and jasmine tea. They are just so good, I can't seem to order anything else! You can order the food either not spicy, mild, medium, hot or very hot and there are options for vegetarians as well The restaurant is only open for dinner. It does not look like much from the outside. It is very casual and the prices are reasonable. The garlic shrimp meal was $12. It came with rice and I had enough to have leftovers for lunch the next day. The service is very slow. We were there for at least an hour and a half and this was on a Monday evening when it wasn't that crowded. I have been going to this place for over 15 years and it has always been like this. Basically it's just the owner, who is the server, and maybe one or two people in the kitchen. This is not the place you go to dinner if you are in a hurry but the food is worth the wait.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank skupie
Memphis, Tennessee
“Been Going Here 30 Years”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Even after moving away from here I still came here with my parents whenever I came to Memphis to see family and friends. This Vietnamese food is the greatest. Let me warn you, from the time you order until you get your food, it takes a long time. The reason is because they make it all from scratch and it is worth the wait. Call ahead and tell them how many people and what you want and it is usually ready when you get there. This place is fantastic.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Robert N
São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
“Fresh food!”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Delicious traditional vietnamese food. So fresh! And the owner is very pleasant. Like to talk a lot :)

Visited September 2012
Huntsville, Alabama
“What were the other reviewers thinking??”
Reviewed 29 December 2012

We went there based on other reviews, and could only wonder what people were thinking. The 2+ hour wait was not anywhere near worth it. It was 30 degrees outside, and 56 degrees inside, cuddled in a corner and sitting next to a small space heater. Cold air drafted in through gaps in the wall where the air conditioning units were situated, as well as through the poorly insulated windows. Our feet were freezing. Everyone in the restaurant kept their coats on.

We waited well over an hour for two spring rolls to arrive, another 30 minutes for hot and sour soup, and then another thirty minutes for the entrees, lemongrass chicken and lotus shrimp. Everyone else seemed to have a similar wait.

And the food was nothing special. I have made better spring rolls in my own kitchen, can get better hot and sour soup at the most average Chinese restaurant, and the seasoning on the entrees was unimaginative and unappealing.

We were hugely disappointed in the service, in the atmosphere, and especially in the food. It was the food that was promised to make up for the other "inconveniences" of a long wait and poor atmosphere, but the food was at the same level as everything else.

• Visited December 2012