“Very nice surprise!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: The Little Tea Shop is Memphis' oldest restaurant serving traditional Southern/comfort food.There is no pork in any dish we make which makes it not just delicious but more healthier as well.
Reviewed 11 August 2013

I've been coming down to Memphis quite a lot on the weekends to visit my fiancé. We always walked by the Little Tea Shop and didn't give it much though. One day I flew down early to visit for the whole day and we went out to lunch...for some reason the little tea shop was calling our name!

I found that reason to be that they are only open during the weekdays for lunch. No dinner, no weekends. It's too bad because the food here is so good. The cornbread has to be some of the best I have had...and I absolutely love cornbread. We ended up ordering a number of the small plates they had to expand the variety of options we could taste. Everything was delicious.

The staff is extremely friendly and will chat you up with some good stories. It makes the dining experience very friendly.

I hope I will be able to make it back there sometime before my fiancé moves out of memphis.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

I've been wanting to eat here for a long time, so when son and DIL were visiting from California, I went downtown with my DIL and we did a little sightseeing, then came here to eat. My DIL had the Lacy's Special and enjoyed it very much. I had salmon croquettes which had to have been deep fried, judging from the shape - like small torpedos! - but they were not greasy, they were delicious. And the cornbread sticks are awesome.

One odd thing was the ladies room - there were several hand-lettered signs, "Do not flush ANY paper down the toilet!" I thought surely they didn't mean toilet tissue, but when I flushed, the tissue would hardly go down. My DIL also used the toilet and never could get her tissue to flush down. I hope this is only a temporary problem, as the restaurant inspector would surely downgrade them on it.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

We were recommended by a local shop owner to have lunch at the Little Tea shop. How lovely it was to enter the restuarant to find it full of locals. There were business men/women, local families, tourists etc...the food was local Memphis cooking, served by the owner Suehare, a lovely friendly women.

Creole, Gumbo, Jambalya, catfish, all delicious. Cheap and friendly place. Go there or miss out!

Reviewed 13 May 2013

There were 6 of us dining in after touring Mud Island. THey other 2 couples had been before. # out of 6 ordered catfish which they were out of. I had the Chicken Pan pie, mac & cheese and salad. It was pretty good, nothing to be impressed about. Husband and seafood gumbo, he liked it, I did not. Way to fishy. Average place if you are tired of BBQ

Reviewed 28 April 2013

I had watched the DDD episode featuring the Little Tea Shop and kept telling my non-foodie Mom (my traveling companion for a really cool mother/daughter trip) that we needed to go here. My mom, not knowing anything about DDD, was not too excited but went along with me on what turned out to be a wonderful experience. Our hotel was within walking distance so this was a no brainer.

Being from Southern California, we arrived a half hour before opening time fully expecting to have to wait in line. Surprise, no line but we did end up having a nice chat with Omar, a waiter at the restaurant. When they opened, Omar seated us in his area and treated us to the best service you could ever imagine. To this day my mom still talks about the awesome food we had at the Little Tea Shop. The corn sticks were outstanding and did not disappoint. We were so stuffed but somehow we managed to force ourselves to split a dessert which turned out to be the so called "icing on the cake" for our meal.

Thank you to Omar and the Little Tea Shop for such a tremendous meal and special memory for my mom and I. She reminded me again today, nearly a year later, how much she enjoyed our visit to Memphis and the Little Tea Shop.

1  Thank JanC250