“what happened???”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: The Little Tea Shop is Memphis' oldest restaurant serving traditional Southern/comfort food.There is no pork in any dish we make which makes it not just delicious but more healthier as well.
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Last time I was here (October 2011) it was something to talk about. This time no one cared when we walked in- it was not crowded at lunch and that should have been my hint- we sat down and were ignored... we ended up ordering the "special". Waited for drinks for almost ten minutes. The food came- what a joke! The Morrocan (spelling??) chicken breast was a two and half inch piece that would fit in the palm of you hand, a small hand. The two sides you could have were terrible- one I didn't order and the other consisted of six fries! Yes I counted! I was shocked because I took a friend and told her that we had to go to this place. No one came back to check on us- seemed like the rest of the customers were locals. Total for my lunch, with a drink $15 !! Holy cow!! the locals can keep it!!

Reviewed 29 August 2013

I have been to LTS a few times for lunch. Every day there is a different specialty. Recently I went on a Tuesday and had the lentil dish that Guy Fieri raved about. It was really good and something I had never tried before. Will go back for this dish. Veggie sides were great and portions were generous. My co-worker ordered the fried chicken and really liked it. You simply check off the items you want on the little paper menu and the food comes out very quickly. Our waiter, Omar, was awesome and helped us decide what to order. The corn bread sticks are extremely popular and come with your meal. Last time I went, it was on a Monday and I tried the daily special...Morroccan chiken. It was unique, tasted great! Not a big curry fan, but the chicken was lightly seasoned so it worked well for me. It was so tender that the meat fell off the bone. I used a fork for the whole meal, never needed a knife. The stewed tomoatoes were a great accompaniment to the chicken, I would suggest ordering them. The people are very friendy and there are a lot of local memorabilia to browse. Good place for locals and toursists. Lunch tab came to around $12 per person which is very reasonable.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

I've been coming down to Memphis quite a lot on the weekends to visit my fiancé. We always walked by the Little Tea Shop and didn't give it much though. One day I flew down early to visit for the whole day and we went out to lunch...for some reason the little tea shop was calling our name!

I found that reason to be that they are only open during the weekdays for lunch. No dinner, no weekends. It's too bad because the food here is so good. The cornbread has to be some of the best I have had...and I absolutely love cornbread. We ended up ordering a number of the small plates they had to expand the variety of options we could taste. Everything was delicious.

The staff is extremely friendly and will chat you up with some good stories. It makes the dining experience very friendly.

I hope I will be able to make it back there sometime before my fiancé moves out of memphis.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

I've been wanting to eat here for a long time, so when son and DIL were visiting from California, I went downtown with my DIL and we did a little sightseeing, then came here to eat. My DIL had the Lacy's Special and enjoyed it very much. I had salmon croquettes which had to have been deep fried, judging from the shape - like small torpedos! - but they were not greasy, they were delicious. And the cornbread sticks are awesome.

One odd thing was the ladies room - there were several hand-lettered signs, "Do not flush ANY paper down the toilet!" I thought surely they didn't mean toilet tissue, but when I flushed, the tissue would hardly go down. My DIL also used the toilet and never could get her tissue to flush down. I hope this is only a temporary problem, as the restaurant inspector would surely downgrade them on it.

Reviewed 15 May 2013

We were recommended by a local shop owner to have lunch at the Little Tea shop. How lovely it was to enter the restuarant to find it full of locals. There were business men/women, local families, tourists etc...the food was local Memphis cooking, served by the owner Suehare, a lovely friendly women.

Creole, Gumbo, Jambalya, catfish, all delicious. Cheap and friendly place. Go there or miss out!