“Great Ribs and Good Catfish”
Review of Blues City Cafe

Blues City Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Blues City Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 1,475 Restaurants in Memphis
Price range: US$15 - US$15
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 2ND STREET
Transit: Bus and Taxi pick up and drop off are done directly across the street from our front door along with a Trolley Stop about one block away.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Awesome ribs, great atmoshpere. Fried catfish were good. They had a local beer on tap and after a few I have forgotten the name, but it was excellent. So just try them all when you're there. Won't leave hungry. Order the "best meal on Beale" and get a beer. Best way to dive right in.

There are newer reviews for Blues City Cafe

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Try the gumbo fries and fried fish! To die for!!! Great little cafe which is exactly what you'd expect ... Little dive-ish with great food!

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

In town on business and went to blues city cafe for dinner... Had the "best meal on Beale" ribs were fall off the bone tender and were delicious and I'm not a catfish fan but could be after city blues catfish! Certainly would eat here again...

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived in Memphis late. After checking into our hotel we ventured to Beale Street. This was the first restaurant we saw. I had not read a single review but decided to eat here anyway. The ribs were disappointing. They were flavor less. The meat was very tender but it definitely needed a sauce or dry-rub or something! The gumbo was also disappointing. There was more rice in the bowl than anything else.
Usually when you are hungry food tastes better then it really is. Well, I was hungry while eating and I still did not enjoy it.

Perhaps I just caught them on a bad night. I will not return! Nor can I feel comfortable recommending this restaurant to others.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

If you want good food and a nice time - head to Beale Street in downtown Memphis. Full of restaurants and bars - and very easygoing. Yes - you can actually bring your kids to hear some music and get something to eat.

We chose the Blues City Cafe from a web search of restaurants in the area. It wound up great - I love this place!

We ordered rib and gumbo dishes. Yummy. I recommend ordering the gumbo fries - a local favorite. Basically, they're a giant pile of steak fries with spicy shrimp/sausage gumbo. Topped with melted cheese. Watch out for the jalapenos in there, too.

Best part of the evening? The house band. OMG. These 5 guys played the blues - all improv. So easygoing, friendly, and creative. Two guitars, bass, drums, and keys. We sat and ate (and had a few drinks) and chilled for a few hours. I wish I could go back.

Since we held the table for so long, we gave our waitress a generous tip - and we got a hug in return. :)