“Great food, horrible service.”

Buckley's Restaurant East
Ranked #68 of 1,482 Restaurants in Memphis
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I really hate to write a bad review, I know what these do to places. But it was probably the worst service I have experienced in a long time. I've served and bartended from fine dining to Hole in the wall restaurants and have been doing it a looooooong time, so maybe I just expect more. Let's begin with the fact that I'm in the middle of a sentence and the server walks up and interrupts to ask what we want to drink. No hey, how ya doing, no name, nothing. Fast forward to the drinks, no offer of a straw, walks off and doesn't come back for about 10 minutes.... I'm starving by now, we order, every time we need something she is nowhere to be found, or if she IS around, she directs all questions to my dinner partner and doesn't even wait for my answer, just gets his and walks away as I'm speaking. So I just start telling him what I need. Fast forward to the end. She offers to box our food (to him, of course) which I'm not a fan of personally. But the point is that ALL the extras on my plate, like the fatty pieces of steak, my hunk of bread, are all thrown away..... now I don't know how many of you save those nibbles for your dogs, but I sure do and they were SERIOUSLY disappointed. I would NEVER throw away anything edible when boxing up someone's food. It's presumptuous and quite frankly, rude. Then she doesn't come back, again, I finally just asked the manager for a bowl for my soup and when I declined to let her box it, she could tell I was at my wits end. To her credit, she did her best to "save the table" 25% off and an offer of dessert. That's not what I want, though, I want decent service. So great food, Jennifer is a great manager, it was just too little too late for me. I will have to give some serious thought before going back. Go for the food, and maybe it was just that server. So make sure you ask to NOT sit with Holly.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I are here with my teenage nieces and nephew last week. The restaurant was quiet. We had the ravioli which was amazing as was the grouch burger and the loaded Buckley buds. My niece forgot her bag when we left but didn't realize until the next morning. We stopped by in the morning (they don't open until 5pm). Mike (I think he was the owner) let us in and called the manager who had put the bag aside. This made an really enjoyable experience so much better.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We were a group of 8, which sometimes causes problems for a restaurant. They were prompt getting our table and were seated in about 10 minutes (it was a Wednesday). The prices were a little high, entrées from $18-28. My small steak was $22, but it was great. The meat was tender, great flavor, and cooked just right. DH had blackened salmon salad and the salmon was some of the best he has had. We both had the potato side. I liked it; he didn't. It is just really a fancied up small bowl of mashed potatoes and he doesn't like mashed potatoes. Oh well! We would recommend it. The service was friendly and prompt. The rest of the group also enjoyed their meals.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have been eating at Buckley every since it opened and have not had a bad meal. Even when they got our order wrong they always corrected their mistake and gave you a comp while you were there and not on your next visit. That speaks highly for a restaurant in my opinion. They have a frequent visitor program that is nice and we take advantage of that. They have a good bar and wine list. I love to support local and this is a great one to be loyal to.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We come to Memphis every year, and we never miss a visit to Buckley's! Delicious food, wonderful service. You won't find a better steak in Memphis!