“Vietnamese Cuisine”

Pho Saigon
Ranked #361 of 1,493 Restaurants in Memphis
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

Spring rolls are so large they are a meal by themselves. Lunch menu is varied, inexpensive and delicious. Centrally located in the midtown area near the main library. Enjoy.

Reviewed 30 August 2013

The Vietnamese food is average, particularly the pho. Noodle dishes we ordered were overcooked. However, the grilled quail (appetizer) is delicious.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

I visited this restaurant one time with a friend of mine from Yunnan Province in China. He was so impressed with the food that he took a photo of his meal and texted it to his family in China. The food, he explained, is really close to what he eats in southern China in Viet Nam. The only real difference that mentioned is that in China and Viet Nam the noodles are usually made on site. I discovered that it's a lot of fun to try to season the foods with the various sauces on the table. My Chinese friend showed me that mixing up sauces is well worth the experiment. The Pho soups are good, but I believe I had the banh canh soup one time -- not sure it's on the menu anymore. Wow, is that great! The menu is interesting, and the staff will help you find a meal that you'll enjoy.The atmosphere is "Vietnamese family." I thought that this set-up is part of its charm. But, for those seeking up scale and haute cuisine it's not quite what you're looking for in a restaurant.

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Was having a bad experience getting an oil change across the street and thought a little sustenance might clear my head. Ordered the spring rolls to start and a bowl of their sour soup. The rolls came out with a delectable peanut sauce that hit the spot. The rolls were large, thin sliced and fresh with shrimp wrapped tight. The soup arrived as a large bowl of shrimp and vegetables in an amazing broth served with a side of noodles. I couldn't finish it, but took the rest for later. Later came much earlier than expected. It was just that good. My partner ordered the pork sandwich and thoroughly enjoyed it. I personally have never seen a pork sandwich served up to look that healthy.

Reviewed 31 January 2013

Ok..So I would not order the above ....Again! Ever!
That's by far the worst Chicken dish, I have ever eaten.
The meat was tough (as in chewy & hard) and was NOT spiced enough to be termed "tasty".
I did point it out to the lady who seemed to be running the place but she repeatedly mentioned that the chicken was fresh and cut that morning and boiled (?) and it was NOT sauteed.
Now I am not sure if there was something lost in translation or if the dish was true to the recipe BUT I would not recommend ordering it to anyone.
For the Bubble tea - it came in a fancy glass with a sprinkling of the tapioca pearls. It was OK but I've had better & in Memphis- so nothing to write home about!

The management needs to look "friendlier & familiar" or they might lose customers on that alone. I noticed 2 others lunching at a table nearby waiting for their sodas much after their food arrived.
Would I go back to Pho Saigon , a second time? Yes! Their noodle bowls seemed interesting & I want to try it once and see if I change my mind about the place :)