“Soul Food at it's Finest”

Four Way Restaurant
Ranked #183 of 1,457 Restaurants in Memphis
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Maumee, Ohio
“Soul Food at it's Finest”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This place was great. Some of the best macs-n-cheese I have ever had. The turnip greens were tasty and firm. Loved this place!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank tshook80

Salinas, Ecuador
“A Memphis Institution”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Well, it's a must stop when in Memphis. Everyone has been to this place (MLK, Don King, Jesse Jackson and more). The fried chicken is certainly some of the very best I've sampled. The owner Willie Earl Bates came over and gave us some very interesting history. A very nice guy. The wait staff is just great too. The greens are to die for. Very inexpensive, and if you are in Memphis you need to seek this place out. Plain, simple, and simply good!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank imsadriver
Riverside, Ca
“Loved it!”
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Really enjoyed my visit to the Four Way. I thought the cat fish was especially good and I also enjoyed the peach cobbler dessert. The staff was quick, friendly and on top of everything. Of course, the Four Way has the honor of being a place that Martin Luther King, JR. liked but it most certainly wouldn't have lasted an additional 45 years since he ate his last lunch here if it wasn't any good. Go experience a little history and have a nice lunch too!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Ace624
Ellicott City, Maryland
“Okay Soul Food, Maybe Coasts on Reputation?”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

While in Memphis taking in the sights (Stax Museum, Civil Rights Museum) my teacher group stopped here for lunch. Apparently, Civil Rights leaders including Dr. King made regular trips to this restaurant, and so it has a special place in Memphis history.

The food did not carve a particularly special place in my gastronomical memory, however. As a Southerner who lives in the north, I was excited for the opportunity to finally have sweet tea again...tea BREWED sweet. Unfortunately, this tea tasted like it had sugar added afterward, which is not the way to do it. The mac and cheese tasted like it was out of a box, and the mashed potatoes tasted instant. Seeing as how those three items are almost the pillars of southern cuisine, I was discouraged.

However, the chicken is amazing, and makes up for the subpar sides. You will not be disappointed I assure you. And for dessert, the cobbler is insanely good. Service is incredibly friendly and attentive; your drinks will always be full. We had a large group of teachers (who eat a lot) and they did a fabulous job keeping us all in line. Kudos to the staff.

The Four Way is not bad by any means, and it's history alone probably makes it worth a visit. But when a restaurant of this type struggles with mashed potatoes and sweet tea, it's a little disconcerting.

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank Graham L
Savannah, Georgia
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

How it got its name is a mystery to me. Old timers tell me the only way in or out until recently was through the back door with a special password.

I don’t know about that, but I do know the folks at Four Way can cook up some of the best soul food you’ll find in Tennessee. My wife and I both had the fried chicken, turnip greens, cabbage, pintos, yams and cornbread. Well, we didn’t both have all of that…but you know how it goes when you’ve been married for 23 years…all for one and one for all.

Four Way prepares the best cabbage I have ever eaten. Really smoky and not overcooked. Great sweet tea, super friendly staff. I think you’ll like it.

• Visited May 2013