“Great Church with Great Community Service!”

Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Great Church with Great Community Service!”
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I've been to their church several times, whether it was for the treat of seeing 'Take Six' perform live......for only $5!!, or to vote. They keep cropping up in my radar over these many years of living in Memphis as a true force for good in the Midtown/Crosstown neighborhood. Seems like any community-development or outreach service they can render, they do, plus I've loved how they've kept that old church building viable as a neighborhood landmark, and even added on facilities to it. Super-nice people whenever I've been around, too.

Visited November 2012

Sussex
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Warm, welcoming and enlightening”
Reviewed 11 May 2013

Visiting from Sussex in the UK, we found the welcome at MBCC to be genuinely warm and friendly. As predicted, the music was wonderful. Moreover, the whole experience of the service was so uplifting, everyone was genuinely welcoming and the sermon and lesson was educational and enlightening. I saw no evidence of any pressure or manipulation, just honest, warm, courteous people, welcoming strangers into their lives. I loved it.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Derek i
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“"To my surprise!"”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I am going to make my comment short. I had been at my church for over 27 years, but had been coming to The Blvd off & on since 2009. Each time I came to MBCC, the people were extremely nice, friendly, warm, and personable. I never thought I would leave my church after so many years of service and ministy, but I felt my season was up where I was at. I joined MBCC 4/14/13 and I believe my spiritual life is going to a whole new level! I am excited about what God is doing at The Blvd, and I believe Pastor J. Lawrence Turner is going to take Memphis by storm, and The Blvd to a whole new level! I am on board with the believers at MBCC because God is doing so marvellous things in the lives of his people there. "Gladtobeonboard"

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Debra S
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Uplifting Service!”
Reviewed 17 July 2012

Security on parking Lot, Friendly an warm atmosphere, Outstanding service an Choir. An overall Experience that im Blessed 2 have had an look forward 2 Experiencing Again.

1 Thank Marilyn T
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Very Manipulative”
Reviewed 13 July 2010

I attended Missippi Blvd Christian Church on 7/04/10. The church has a strong emphasis on bringing people to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, which I liked, but I found it too be manipulative and too accomodating to the world, in terms of dress. The preacher for the day empacized a 10-10-80 giving principle. Give 10% to the church (a tithe), put 10% in your saving account, and live on the rest. Malichi 3: 8-10 was used to encourage people to give 10% of their income. Preachers tell people (according to this verse) they will be cursed if they don't. This is false teaching for the new testament church. The Bible clearly teaches that Jesus took away the curse of the law.

Inn the Old Testament, tithing was law, in the New Testament, tithing became a principle. The verses that should be used today to encourage people to give are (1) "Give and it shall be given to you, pressed doen . . . . " and (2) he who give sparingly will also reap sparingly (2 Cor. 9:6) and let everyone give according to what he has decided (or purposed) in his heart to give (2 Cor. 9:7). Of course if I quoted these verses to the prosperity pastors, I would be run out of the church, because they don't want to hear the truth.

Mississippi Blvd manipulates parishioners to believe God requires a 10th of their salaries, but according to scripture, this is not true. Tithing is not compulsory in the New Testament. We live under grace, not law. The Malichi verse is used to get a much money into the church coffers as possible.

I also didn't like the over casual dress of church members. People were coming in with sandals with no socks, tight fitting jeans, etc. The youth choir wore jeans and one of the male singers wore a cap. One of the young ladies in the choir had on jeans so tight and showed so much of her body curves that, I, as a man, was distracted. She also had on high heels. This type of dress is not appropriate for worship of Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. It seems that so many churches to day just want to accomodate to the culture. disregarding what the Bible teaches.

One more thing that this church does is try to force people to come up and accept Jesus as their savior. At the invitation, people in their pews were asked to turn to their neighbors and find out if they were saved and encourage them to come forward if they weren't. This is a form of coersion. The Holy Spirit is the One who prompts people to give their lives to Jesus and they should only respond when HE,the Spirit, speaks to their hearts and whern they feel READY in themselves. Salvation must come from the heart, not from the prompting a person siting in the pew.

Based on what I have written about this church, I would not recommend it to a friend. It is not a biblical church.

30 Thank Psalms5