“terrible weekend at this hotel!!”

The Westin Memphis Beale Street
Ranked #27 of 137 Hotels in Memphis
atlanta ga
“terrible weekend at this hotel!!”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

we spent the weekend in memphis for a wedding , sept.20 and 21st. This hotel needs alot of work,, our friends were ROBBED in this hotel! The doors to the rooms DO NOT close automatically. Every time we left the room , we had to remember to go back and close the door.. Our friends were ROBBED of all their jewelry, electronics and wallets!! Someone simply walked in the unclosed door and robbed them while they were sleeping. !!
The valet was a nightmare! The entire road in front of the Westin was blocked off for a concert.. We could not get our car in a timely manor . The Westin had no plan in place to take care of this and they were totally full of guests, many whom had weddings to attend in Memphis. We had to wind our way thru the restaurant and out a side door to find the valet. The person at the front desk was rude and frustrated and had no answers.. she needed more help. . They charge for internet , which i thought was free. There was one bartender in the bar that was very unprofessional and spent alot of time flirting with a customer . It was so bad that we know of one couple who simply left and went to another hotel . This is not the standard the we expect from a Westin.. Avoid this hotel!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kwmj123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 September 2013

In like with Westin quality around the country. New and nice amenities, clean and nice staff. Conveniently situation on Beale street in Memphis next to the Fedex arena. Restaurant is very nice and valet is prompt and responsive. Recommended in Memphis.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 September 2013 via mobile

I have a reservation scheduled for an upcoming reservation that I made through Priceline which I later learned books through booking.com. Based on Glenn's experience, I called the Westin and found out that they have no record of my reservation! I contacted Priceline, then bookings.com, and they said they would re-confirm, but that was hours ago and not a word. I am a Starwood Gold member and the only reason I booked thru Priceline was because the Starwood site showed the hotel was sold out. I am not sure if this is a Starwood or a Priceline problem, but in any event, check your reservation if you have booked through a third party!

Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Mary R
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 18 September 2013

On August 25, 2013 I booked a room at the Beale Street Westin hotel, through Bookings.com. Bookings confirmed the the room for today and tomorrow September 17 and 18. I also contacted the hotel on September 16th and talked with Lenette and she told me that they had not received the confirmation. She said to contact Bookings and they will provide me with a room. I contacted Bookings Kasandra and she forwarded me an email confirming the booking starting today. I drove from Louisville, Kentucky to Memphis, Tennesee to find out that I didn't have a room. They said they were sold out. The booking was three weeks ago and when I booked it there were 5 room remaining at that hotel. The manager, who not only didn't even speak with me, but the desk gave me the generic business card for the hotel, not the managers name. Whoever he/she is, I believe corporate should do a independent check on this entire hotel. The reason that I called yesterday to check on the room status is because others have complained here about this hotel overbooking and people arriving and finding that they didn't have a room. The hotel attitude was "too bad, so sad."

I just went to the Westin Corporate site and found out that in order to file a complaint you have to give them $25.00. What an organization, unbelievable ! ! !

I can honestly tell you that they are the most unprofessional staff that I have ever encountered, in 35+ years of travelling the world.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Glenn P
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Our room was clean, secure, spacious, and cool. Perfect!
The staff, incredible= knowledgable and helpful. This place is the quintessential example of southern hospitality. Great location. Starbucks attached to the hotel. Looking forward to another stay. With love from NYC

• Stayed July 2013
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We stayed at the Westin for 5 nights and the location couldn't have been better! Our room faced the Gibson Guitar Factory and was very quiet. The service was wonderful and the rooms were clean. We could walk everywhere from the hotel. They even provide free bottle water in the room. We only ate breakfast at the hotel but it was good. Our server on most days was Keisha and she was great. The staff are friendly and very helpful. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Gibson Guitar Factory if you want quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 September 2013

I stayed at The Westin Memphis Beale Street for two nights. My flight was quite early in the morning - wedding events started that afternoon. The front desk did everything possible to secure me an early check-in so I could freshen up before the wedding events.

The room was clean and spacious with plenty of outlets for all of my gadgets. The bathroom was very large - I was assigned a handicapped accessible room so I am not sure if this bathroom is the "normal" size. The toiletries are of high quality so forgo packing your own.

The gym facility could have been cleaner - just seemed to be a little dusty; the female gym bathroom was very clean. The gym equipment was newer and functioned well. I really appreciated the cooling unit stocked with cool cloths and complimentary headphones if you forgot your own - fabulous touch.

There is a hotel lobby bar - extremely expensive and nothing special. Skip this bar and go somewhere else.

The Bleu, the lounge connected to the hotel, was modern and fun. There is a happy hour on weekdays - $5 for house wine among other specials.

Location: The Westin is just one block from Beale Street - the perfect distance. No noise complaints whatsoever. It is across the street from the Gibson guitar factory and the Rock & Soul Museum. Gus' Fried Chicken, Rendezvous, The Peabody, and Majestic Grille are all within walking distance (all 5 blocks or less). I walked to the National Civil Rights Museum & Central BBQ (across the street from one another), although if 1/2 mile is too far, you can easily catch the trolley (there is a trolley stop just 2 blocks from the hotel).

Room Tip: We stayed in room 619. 619 was quiet and faced the Gibson Guitar Factory. Rooms on the other side...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends