“Great stay”

The Westin Memphis Beale Street
Ranked #29 of 138 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We arrived at this hotel a little before 3:00 p.m. and did notice that valet parking attendant was also the bell person, and this did slow service up a bit. He was very helpful and did a great job, but at minimum, there should be at least three people working this area. Checking in was a breeze and to my amazement, was informed that the plethora of Gibson guitars enclosed in the glass case in the lobby were available for guests to check out, much like library books. This alone had me planning my next stay with the Westin.

The location is so convenient to everything. The Gibson guitar factory, Beale Street, FedEx arena, the Rock and Soul museum, and the National Civil Rights Museum are all well within walking distance of the hotel. Graceland is about a fifteen minute drive from this hotel, if you feel the need to pay your respects to the king. We felt very safe, as the police presence is very prominent in the area..

The rooms are well appointed, with the bath area the best part of the room, as it had both a shower and separate tub. Climate control was outstanding, keeping us extremely comfortable for the duration of our stay. We asked for and received an extra refrigerator for our perishables at no cost. There is no pool and the room can get noisy into the early hours of the morning. But this is a small price to pay for the location and safety provided by this hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Gibson guitar factory if possible. Otherwise, bring ear plugs if you'r...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank VHG2013
BealeStreetHotelier, General Manager at The Westin Memphis Beale Street, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear VHG2013

It’s great to hear that before you left you were already thinking about planning another stay with us. I am very happy that our staff, your room and location were pleasing to you. We take our guests security very seriously. It is very rewarding to hear that you felt safe and secure during your stay. We look forward to you staying with us again and giving us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We picked this hotel because of its location and we couldn't have asked for better. It is one block from Beale Street and the Gibson guitar factory is directly across the street. We checked in the Saturday after the 4th. We arrived early. Our room wasn't ready but the nice people at the desk took our information and told us they would give us a call as soon as it became available and they did. The room was great. It was just a basic room, but was still very comfortable and clean. The king-sized bed was so comfortable and cozy. It had a stocked mini bar and snacks for an additional purchase. The chair provided was also comfortable. The bathroom was my favorite. It was modern and had a separate tub and shower. The tub was deep and allowed for soaking if one desired. The shower had a rain shower head and a sprayer attachment. The bathroom had nice tile work and the sink had a granite top. A hairdryer was provided along with a makeup mirror. There were plenty of towels provided. The hotel itself was also modern. The lobby had a nice place to sit and relax. The front desk staff were very personable and pleasant. The lobby also had guitars that guests are allowed to use which is pretty cool in my opinion. The covered parking deck is right next door and attached to the hotel. You can buy an unlimited in and out parking pass at the front desk which is very handy. Will most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicky W

Dear DelilahDemented

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am very happy to read about your great experiences while here. It is always rewarding to receive compliments about our great team of associates. They work and train very hard to provide the best and most personable service in Memphis. We can’t wait until you come back.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Not having been to Memphis before, we picked this hotel for it's proximity to Beale Street since it was on our tourist "to do" list. We found it up to the Westin standards of comfort and cleanliness, and the location was perfect.

There were beautiful guitars in a case in the lobby which I thought was for authentic local decor. But then we saw a young man checking one out like you'd check out like a towel at a beach resort! If I could even play one note, I would have at least given it a try. What a kick!

Beale Street was just a block away (we had a room on the opposite side, so we didn't find it a noise problem). We walked over to Beale Street. The sun hadn't gone down, and it was just starting to get busy on a hot summer Saturday night. So we thought we'd eat first (Rendezvous BBQ - you'll probably have to wait in the alley, but it's worth it). By the time we'd finished our dinner (and we didn't have to wait long and the service was quick), Beale Street was packed. The police barricade for crowd control and only let one "in" for one "out." It makes sense because we watched for a while and it clearly wasn't easy to walk around. However, we wished we'd done that first and eaten later so we could have walked down Beale Street. Next time!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear TravellingFan22

I’m so glad you stayed here as well. Your kind words are much appreciated. I’m pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. Our guitar program is called "Check in and Rock Out". It is unique to the Westin Memphis Beale Street and very popular. Many guests have written blogs about their experiences with the program. Next time your travels bring you to Memphis we would be excited for the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We spent the weekend of July 4th with the nice people at the Westin-Beale St. At check-in, we were given solid advice for watching fireworks as well as staying safe. Whenever we walked into the foyer, we were greeted by staff and asked if we needed anything. Our room was clean and so very comfortable. After walking Beale St. and Downtown, it was wonderful to come back to our room to stretch out and cool down in the excellent air-conditioning of our room. Thanks, Westin!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear BoomerSooner61

It was our pleasure to serve you. I see that our staff directed you to the fireworks show. I hope you were able to enjoy it, the show is amazing. Clean and comfortable rooms and a friendly staff are what we are most proud of. It would be our pleasure to serve you again and we hope that you give us that opportunity.

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Easy walk to attractions. Rock and soul museum across the street will shuttle you to Graceland and sun studios for free! We had a blast bar hopping downtown! Bathrooms were nice in hotel, and we loved having a Starbucks!!

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear Barbcampbell

Thank you for staying with us. I also believe that our location is the best and personally I can’t tell you how much I love that a Starbucks is located next right next door. If your travels bring you this way, I hope that you will think of us again.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

This is a nice business hotel. You are right downtown and near Beale Street. My room overlooked Beale street, and was beautiful and spacious. The furnishings were attractive and comfortable. I get annoyed by the business hotel breakfast price list, but the bar was nice, and the other services were good. Staff was helpful, location was convenient. Price was good for this level of hotel

Room Tip: The rooms on the north side face Beale Street. In the quiet hours of the night, I could hear the noi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear OCHardscape

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I know I'm biased but I also believe we have the most beautiful and spacious rooms of any hotel in downtown Memphis. (We hear this often from our guests) I’m glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope that you will come and see us again.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Staying at the Westin Memphis Beale Street has many positives but, regretfully, significant drawbacks. The plus side begins at the entrance by being greeted by a staff lead by Elliott who go out of their way to provide service. This positive attitude continues at the front desk and is mirrored at the lobby lounge. Courtney, the bartender, exhibits a friendly, positive disposition no matter how many customers he has to assist. Truly, He is the Man! The hight spirits can be found in its quality
restaurant. While I did not have dinner there, the Bleu Restaurant is said to be very special and a dining to go for visitors and locals alike. Breakfast was my sole visit to this dining spot and on all occasions I always found the place staffed by congenial, caring and courteous persons.
Another asset for the hotel is its location, Less than a half block from the famed Beale Street, it is also a comfortable distance from the trending South Main St. which has the Civil Rights Museum and a variety of chic dining spots.
And while the amenities are numerous there are minuses not to be overlooked.
The most serious is the Housekeeping Department which appears needs a drastic overhaul. The room was spotless on my arrival. In fact, the only problem with these quarters was a cubbyhole trying to pass itself off as a closet. I carry clothing for a various situations and when I'm confronted with a ironing board taking up most of the space needed for wardrobe (including shoes) I'm and unhappy camper. However, this wasn't the most serious problem.
As noted earlier, the incident becoming the catalyst for the discontent, was the Housekeeping
Department's failure to replace a malfunctioning coffee pot after two successive days of complaints along with reassurances this matter would be rectified. While some would consider this trivial, if you are a coffee drinker, imagine waking up and not being able to enjoy that first caffeine blast.
Perhaps the more serious issue is not the department but the policy they work under. If you leave a hanging notice on the door indicating you don't need your sheets changed, the maid service will not enter your room. This means you cannot have wet towels etc. picked up, your trash cans emptied or the complimentary toiletries replaced.
I like to think of myself as ecologically consciences and certainly would opt for sleeping in the same sheets during my visit. After all, I only change my sheets at home on a weekly basis. But not to have the other expected amenities, is vey disconcerting. On top of the matter, the incentive for electing this service was to receive 500 Starwood Preferred Group points. After agreeing to use this option for two days, I have yet to be informed on those rewards. I'm thinking going green at the Westin doesn't mean environmental sensitivity but more corporate balance sheet enhancement.
Another irritant was the in-room wireless service. At best it was spotty. There is a card on the desk from something called In-Flex(?) designed to assist the weary traveller who needs to have graduate hours in IT to follow its direction.
All in all, the Westin at Beale St. is a nice hotel but, in my estimation, not up to the standards the Westin chain is known for. There are many benefits but are seriously outweighed by its drawbacks.
Would I stay again, possibly but it would not be on my priority accommodations list.

Room Tip: Don't sign up for the Green Choice program.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Patrick1020

Dear Patrick1020

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. It is good to hear that Elliott took good care of you. He is a guest favorite. I am very sorry to hear about your frustration with the coffee pot. This should not have been a concern for you and when it was, we should have replaced immediately. I am sorry that we did not correct this in a timely manner. I have spoken to the Leader of our housekeeping team so that he can retrain and re-establish our service execution to prevent this from happening in the future. Our conservation program, "Make a Green Choice" is widely recognized as one of the best of its kind. In addition to not changing bed sheets daily, part of the program is to not replace towels daily. This reduces energy consumption, and the amount of cleaning chemicals dispensed through our laundry, all of which is very good for our environment. The card that you hung outside your door does a much better job of outlining this program. The points you receive for participating are posted to your account at check-in.

I hope that we will have the chance to serve you in the future. Perhaps you'll let me welcome you back and take you to our Starbucks to buy your first cup of coffee.