“Incredibly loud and way past its prime”

The Westin Memphis Beale Street
Ranked #23 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
McLean, Virginia
“Incredibly loud and way past its prime”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was the loudest hotel in which I have ever stayed (including even hotels in New Orleans in the French Quarter). If you are in town to stay out all night and party, then this would be a good choice because it is located in the midst of numerous bars and restaurants. If you plan to go to sleep before 2:00 a.m., find someplace else to stay. Very loud music was blaring from the surrounding neighborhood until 2:00 a.m. both nights of our stay. We were exhausted when we checked out. In addition, the place is pretty seedy at this point. It is in need of refurbishment. Carpets are dingy and furnishings look worn. Mildew on the shower ceiling. On the plus side, we did have drinks in the bar one night and the service there was very good. The staff was friendly. I will not return, however.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
BealeStreetHotelier, General Manager at The Westin Memphis Beale Street, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Cynthia K

I want to first thank you for staying with us. However, I must apologize for the occurrences that you experienced. Our Guest Service Associate should have inquired the nature of your stay, with that they would have been able to place you on the side of the hotel near the Gibson Guitar factory. I value you your opinion and I am taking your concerns directly into a meeting with my Managers. We will use it to re-train our associates so that they will pay better attention to detail and make our guest experience the best that it can possibly be. I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to show you how your feedback mattered and was put to use.

Kindest regards,

Westin Memphis Beale Street

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The Westin Beale Street is not only classy, but the staff is so friendly. The manager, Gary Robinson, and staff, including bartender Andrew and his manager, made everything so enjoyable. The hotel is behind Beale Street, so walking and enjoying the night life is so easy. The rooms and heavenly beds are magnificent. We didn't do this, but a really cool amenity is to check-out a Gibson guitar and play it into a portable amplifier which is played through your headphones. The Gibson factory is right across the street, as well as the FedEx Forum. Great location, great staff, awesome everything!

Room Tip: There may be quieter rooms at night, but the festive sound of the crowd and bands did not bother us.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dawn C
Dear Dawn C

Dear Dawn C

Your words are so kind, thank you and thank you for choosing to stay with us. Gary is one of our Guest Service Managers and Andrew is our newly promoted bar Supervisor. I'm happy that our associates were able to provide you with such a memorable and enjoyable experience. I'm also happy that you enjoyed our signature Heavenly Beds. Many of our staff loved them so much they went to the Westin Home store online and purchased one themselves. I hope the next time you stay with us, you can "Check in and Rock out" which is the program that you mentioned about checking out the custom Gibson Guitars that we keep in our lobby. I'm glad that you had an awesome time and we hope to provide your more awesome experiences in the future.

Yours in service,

Houston
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great location and wonderful staff. Tremendous access to almost all downtown sites. Even with the party on Beale in the early morning hours, the room was quiet.

My only complaint was the charge for data.

Dear RJMcLeod

Let me first say, thank you for choosing Westin. I agree our location provides tremendous access to the sights and sounds of downtown Memphis; including being directly across from the FedEx Forum, the Gibson Guitar Factory and the Rock and Soul Museum. Not to mention we are just steps from Beale Street. I also want to thank you for kind words regarding our staff. It is always our pleasure to give our guest a wonderful experience. It's my hope that in the future you will choose to stay with us again.

Kind regards,

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Great location but had horrible service and was flat out lied to about being sold out and no extra rooms available. We had booked a king but got put into a double, when we called down to ask about changing rooms they said they had none available, however when I called the reservation line acting like I was trying to make a last minute booking there were somehow rooms available. Not what you expect from a Westin and I would most not suggest staying there as this was just one of the unpleasant encounters with the staff.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex R
Tennessee
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This hotel is a great place to stay downtown. It is located one block from Beale Street, and across the street from the FedEx Forum and the Rock n Soul Museum. The hotel is very clean and the staff is very friendly. The only negative was the bed spread had a hole in it and for a hotel of this price this should not have happen. I would stay here again but with the hole in the bed spread at this price level I have to deduct a star.

Dear Tuggboat

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I also want to thank you for your feedback. I believe that great experiences are had because of the attention to details. I want to apologize that we missed a very important detail during your stay. I hope that your travels bring you back to Memphis and if so you allow us the opportunity to provide you with level of detail that we proud ourselves with.

Yours in service,

mexico
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed with the children.
First of all the staff was very nice and polite.
The place is very convenient located. I loved it.
Food was nice.
Don't forget to visit de Gibson factory in front of the hotel and the rock and soul museum

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank ale_escandon
Dear ale_escandon

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I'm glad that you were able to visit the Gibson Guitar Factory and the Rock and Soul Museum both are which just steps from our door. If your travels bring you to Memphis again, I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you.

Best regards,

San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We arrived at this hotel a little before 3:00 p.m. and did notice that valet parking attendant was also the bell person, and this did slow service up a bit. He was very helpful and did a great job, but at minimum, there should be at least three people working this area. Checking in was a breeze and to my amazement, was informed that the plethora of Gibson guitars enclosed in the glass case in the lobby were available for guests to check out, much like library books. This alone had me planning my next stay with the Westin.

The location is so convenient to everything. The Gibson guitar factory, Beale Street, FedEx arena, the Rock and Soul museum, and the National Civil Rights Museum are all well within walking distance of the hotel. Graceland is about a fifteen minute drive from this hotel, if you feel the need to pay your respects to the king. We felt very safe, as the police presence is very prominent in the area..

The rooms are well appointed, with the bath area the best part of the room, as it had both a shower and separate tub. Climate control was outstanding, keeping us extremely comfortable for the duration of our stay. We asked for and received an extra refrigerator for our perishables at no cost. There is no pool and the room can get noisy into the early hours of the morning. But this is a small price to pay for the location and safety provided by this hotel.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the Gibson guitar factory if possible. Otherwise, bring ear plugs if you'r...
3 Thank VHG2013
BealeStreetHotelier, General Manager at The Westin Memphis Beale Street, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear VHG2013

It’s great to hear that before you left you were already thinking about planning another stay with us. I am very happy that our staff, your room and location were pleasing to you. We take our guests security very seriously. It is very rewarding to hear that you felt safe and secure during your stay. We look forward to you staying with us again and giving us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Best regards,