“Very Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Roulhac Mansion

Roulhac Mansion
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Memphis
Roulhac Mansion
Ranked #7 of 17 Memphis B&B and Inns
Texas
“Very Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2009

The neighborhood was very run down. The furniture on the front porch is chained down. Our room was very crowded and the bathroom was tiny - it had to be a small closet previously. You had to get in and move towards the toliet or shower to be able to shut the door. The breakfast on Saturday was fine, but no one had enough to eat. On Sunday morning, they served burritos and hash browns from McDonalds. We couldn't believe it! If I wanted to eat McDonalds food on Sunday morning, we would have stayed at MOTEL 6. Decor: gaudy

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank ashmarie

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Evansville, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2009

The building is exquisite! The rooms are extremely quiet. The mansion is charming and amazingly clean. The neighborhood at first glance was a bit worrisome. The buildings are a little rundown around the Roulhac but are better than surrounding blocks. The locals were nice and the neighborhood was quiet. There is a police station down the street if that is a worry for you. The Stax Records Museum and Academy of Music is just down the street. The Soulsville company is cleaning up the entire neighborhood and building a 'mini Beale' complex across from the museum. Many of the surrounding houses and neighborhoods are the birthplace and houses of many of the Rock / Blues and Soul sensations of the 50's , 60's and 70's. The Stax was our favorite visit our entire stay in Memphis and was less than a block from the Roulhac.
Margie and Neefy, manager and caretaker of the mansion were a pleasure to have met. They made the stay 100x times more enjoyable than just the charm of the house itself could do. Our first evening Neefy called us a cab to take us to Beale Street. MArgie pulled in to the mansion 30 minutes after we had called for a cab. She said hello and Neefy told her we were waiting on a cab, she asked us how long, we said 30 minutes and Margie said "that is too long. Hop in the car and I will take you down. There is no reason to wait for a cab that long." She took us straight to Beale and 3rd and told us not to hesitate to call the mansion if we needed anything.
Beale is a short , easy drive from the mansion and parking near Beale is cheap and easy to find. Memphis was great but Roulhac was the best! Love Margie and Neefy, they made us feel like family and we awoke everyday anxious to sit and talk with them after breakfast. Oh! And breakfast each morning was fantastic! You will not get that kind of great food in a hotel or restaurant!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank therym
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2009

I booked my reservations via hotels.com with the Roulhac Mansion. We arrived in Memphis a bit early and thought we would check out our accomodations, to figure out where we were staying and it's proximity to the rest of the area we planned on visiting. When we pulled into the drive we were met by a man who pointed and grunted at us as to where we were supposed to put our vehicle, and the pointed and grunted towards the front entrance. (I later find out this delightful gentleman is their security officer, talk about scary) When we got to the entrance we were bombarded by the sounds of several locks being undone from the front door, just to let us in. Some more grunting followed, and the man went to a back room. This is where we heard, coming from the back, "I don't know what to do with them, I don't want to talk to 'them people'". At this point we were not only a bit creeped out, but now we were upset as well. For $119 a night, we had had a single word spoken to us, had been grunted at and pointed around, and now we were 'Them people'. When the man came back we told him we wanted to cancel our reservations to stay somewhere else, he turned around, and went to the back again. After several minutes the female voice we heard from the back met us in the front, and we told her also that we wanted to cancel our reservations. Now keep in mind that she was clearly audible in the back, but when confronted face to face with us, she practically grunted at us too. We did our best to figure out what she was saying, cancel through the web site, and we left. Upon calling hotels.com, they tell me the roulhac is the billing party, and that I must contact them instead. When I called the 1-800 number for the Roulhac I was answered by an articulate, well spoken gentleman. Where was he when I went to the hotel. At this point, they had charged me $264.77 out of my bank account, it was not even 'check in time' at the Mansion, much less the next day. Long story short, after several frustrating calls to Hotels.com, and the Roulhac, I was told they would consider giving my money back to me, and would call me back later that afternoon. I have not heard back from them yet. The Roulhac is RUDE, CREEPY, and are THIEVES. Forgive me for not wanting to stay there, but after the treatment, lack of people who are able to SPEAK, you couldn't PAY ME to stay there. I want my money back.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank Psychicchicken
Louisville, KY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2009

This was our 4th trip to Memphis, but this one was by far the best!!

We are University of Kentucky fans and were in town for the Liberty Bowl. I had originally booked a chain hotel outside of town, but really lucked into The Roulhac when we decided to stay in town.

We wanted to be near town and the stadium. The Roulhac gave us everything we could have wanted and more. We stayed in The Isabella House and it was perfect as was the entire staff. Margie greeted us upon arrival and really took care of us during our stay as did Larry and Martha.

Breakfast was outstanding both mornings and they really went the extra mile when we asked for early breakfast on our day of departure.

Margie hugged us as we left and we assured her we would be back!

What a wonderful experience!

Vicki & Frank
Louisville, KY

• Liked — Staff, location, historical beauty
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank traveldivaaficionado
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2008

The roulhac was a very nice place to stay. I stayed in the Alama room which is in the back of the mansion. We were given a tour of every room and each room was outstandingly decorated. I though I could decorate but WOW!! The on ground maintenance is available anytime you need them. The host was very nice, attentive and makes you feel like you are at home. Some of the reviews are negative about the neighborhood . The home is in a neighborhood right down from the Stax Museum and you do see people and life moving about in the neighborhood but when you close your door, you are in a whole other world. Our stay was quiet and restful. I would revist.

• Liked — The comfortable beds and the service
  • Disliked — No computer facility.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank KHMichigan
yorkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2008

Although it was not a problem, When we arrived at the roulhac we were a bit concerned about the area we were in but once we got inside it was a big surprise. The whole place was very sumptuous and beautifully decorated. The bed was sooo comfy. The room was a bit small but was adequate and very clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful and made us feel very welcome.The only problem we did have was the room we had booked was not available when we got there but we were happy with the room we got. It was only a short drive to get to Beale street and Graceland so was well sittuated.

• Liked — its unique decor
  • Disliked — the area it was in
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Denham Springs, LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2008

The Roulhac Mansion was perfect. We stayed in the Alma House. This was my first time to stay at a bed and breakfast and it left me with memories to last a lifetime! I thoroughly enjoyed the time we had there. Margie and Larry were sensational and a delight to meet. Anyone looking to step back in time, this is the place.

I felt very safe and secure as well as welcome at the home. When I return to Memphis, I will stay again at the Roulhac Mansion.

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple