“Unexpected pleasure”

River Inn of Harbor Town
Ranked #1 of 139 Hotels in Memphis
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed at the River Inn over a long weekend while visiting our daughter at Ole Miss. Check in was a breeze and our room was comfortable. I loved the wine at check-in, our view of the river and the port and chocolates at turn down. Also, the 2nd floor reading area with an abundance of books and fresh coffee was very nice and unexpected. One of best things were the wonderful breakfasts. Parking is free and within a short walk you can find a coffee house and charming little market and deli. We took walks along the river each morning. What a refreshing feeling not to be nickel and dimed for any little thing. We will never stay anywhere else in Memphis!

Room Tip: Ask for 206! The room is a bit bigger and has lots of windows!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank luvt2travel88

Reviewed 27 October 2013

Very happy with our stay here. It is a pleasant,quiet location with convenient amenities. High quality facilities and room. Had cocktails in the bar next door, great, as was the breakfast. Highly recommend this place.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

I booked a room in the River Inn 2 and a half months before arriving in Memphis. I received a confirmation immediately, and then again a week in advance of the trip. It was to have been our treat on the third night of an otherwise sad journey. But, after landing in Memphis the first night I received an email that they had inadvertantly overbooked and no longer had our room!!!!! It al turned out well when I found the Madison Hotel in the heart of downtown Memphis.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Wck370
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stayed in Memphis recently for the first time - a city that I really enjoyed and left with a very favourable impression. But not least amongst the upsides was staying at this charming small hotel.

It's a little outside the city. You could get into the centre without a car by walking fifteen minutes over the bridge then riding a trolley car (lovely!) ten minutes downtown. I didn't, but almost wished that I had. But being away from the central, impersonal, big brand hotels that I often stay at is what makes this hotel so nice. You feel it's really personally run and that they recognise you as a distinct guest.

The bedroom was well decorated and comfortable (and quiet - great nights sleep), and there was a lovely bathroom with a bath deep enough to enjoy a relaxing soak). Coffee was available outside your room early each morning. Breakfast was a delight. And the fine dining restaurant (Paulette's) was a lovely place for dinner. The on-site bar/diner (Tug's) was good enough but nothing special (the staff when I was there twice were a bit emotionless but efficient enough).

The front desk staff were great, and one of the waiters at breakfast made me laugh as he joked with me.

A lovely, personal, restful, great quality hotel. Worth trying.

Room Tip: I asked for, and had, a river view - but the view was nothing special. Don't die for it. I'...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank SunnyDay007
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Staff exceptional, bed was the best we had on our holiday. Nataly at reservation was so sweet. We had drinks and appetizers at Paulettes on the terrace and watched the sunset. I forgot my ipad charger and it would have been nice if the inn had one. Computer on third floor business area was broken.
Our stay was wonderful..great breakfasts would I stay here again absolutely!

Room Tip: Ask for third floor with view of river.
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We were more than happy when we arrived at the lovely boutique River Inn Hotel on Mud Island which is in a quiet location over looking the Mississippi . Our room was well decorated with an incredibly comfortable bed and we appreciated the very nice touches such as the complimentary glass of wine at check in, fruit and water in the room and the turn down service with chocolates and port in the evening. Our breakfast, waiter service, offered a variety of dishes, cooked to order and was delicious. We enjoyed a stroll through the park along the river before walking across the bridge to the catch the trolley. As other reviews have said, the sunsets over the river were amazing. The setting, ambience and pleasant staff made our two night stay in Memphis extra special, we would definitely stay here again and can't recommend this hotel highly enough.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

This 28 room hotel is located on Mud Island, an upmarket mainly residential area overlooking the Mississippi. It's ten minute walk over a bridge to the tram stop where you get a $1 ticket to downtown and the action of Beale Street. A taxi costs around $10.
The whole ambiance of the hotel is just excellent. Our room was spacious and our bed was extraordinarily comfortable. There was a great choice at the full service breakfast where the delicious hot option was cooked to order. Cereals, muffins, croissants and fruit were also amongst the options.
The service was faultless and the concierge most helpful in offering pre-printed directions to Graceland, the Sun Studio and Stax Museum.
I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and would certainly stay here again if I'm ever fortunate enough to return to Memphis.

1  Thank Slight-Fade