“Superb hotel”

Ranked #1 of 136 Hotels in Memphis
Edinburgh
“Superb hotel”
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

We have just spent two excellent nights at the hotel. The staff were amazing especially when a noisy air conditioning unit went into overdrive. We were quickly allocated another room with no fuss. The rooms were superb, comfortable and well appointed. The hotel is positioned on the banks of the Mississippi where wonderful sunsets can be watched. We would strongly recommend this hotel if you want just a little bit of luxury in beautiful surroundings.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Crumpler, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 June 2014

A high quality Inn. All staff members were professional, courteous, friendly and accommodated all of our needs. We enjoyed excellent breakfasts and dinners in Paulette's. Excellent location with direct views of the Mississippi River. The River Inn is the best Inn/Hotel in Memphis. Highly recommend it. My wife and I had a great visit to Memphis much of which is attributed to The River Inn.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Mississippi River.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ashetraveler
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Having had a nightmare in New Orleans with a hotel we were delighted to roll up at the River Inn. This is a smaller boutique hotel that packs a big punch. From the minute we entered the lobby it all went well. The reception staff are really friendly, efficient and just cheerful.

Our room over looked the river front and was a delight with the most comfortable bed I've tried in a long time. Just take things like cleanliness, room size, facilities and service as job done - no problems. The hotel is situtated with in a new residential area on Mud Island that is lovley; handy for the town, and was just perfect. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I was excited to have booked a room at The River Inn of Harbor Town through Priceline online. However, upon our arrival at the hotel a few minutes after booking, I was told the staff had just booked the last two rooms. The desk attendant said she would call around to find us another hotel. In a few minutes she told me I would be staying at the Hotel Madison. I told her, I wanted to stay at the Westin. She said she had already spoken with the Westin and they had no availability. I said that was strange, as I had spoken with the Westin just prior to booking The River Inn room. She then said the Westin had suites available, but she wasn't offering that. I said I would get my own room. I promptly went outside, opened my iPad, and booked a king room (not a suite) at the Westin. So, bottom line, I never got past the front desk of The River Inn of Harbor Town, and based on this experience, I probably never will.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank R Y
karlfriedrich1, General Manager at River Inn of Harbor Town, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
We do appologize to the guest for the inconvenience of not having a room for them at the hotel. Unfortunatley the room was a last minute booking with priceline and the hotel was sold out by lunch time that day. the inventory had not been adjusted with priceline. Our Front Desk Receptionist made at=rrangements in a compatible Hotel nearby (The Madison Hotel) to stay, however the guest did not like that joice and asked if we can book them at the Westin Hotel. When our Receptionist checked with the Westin Front Desk we were quoted a suite only rate and not the Standard room rate as originaly booked through Priceline. The guest than made their vown arrangement for the nights stay.
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Amazing, beautiful, would love to go back. Stunning boutique hotel. We were met at 2am with champagne, our room was stunning, four poster bed, lovely bathroom, Egyptian or very high thread count bedding. Just perfect. Breakfast was a la carte and delicious. Our waiter took time to talk to us and by day two was ensuring our 8 year old son had pancakes with teddy bear faces on them. Everything about this place is laid back luxury. Service is great, nothing is too much trouble. This place is small but perfectly formed. We usually stay in much larger hotels, but this was lovely. If you have the chance, you must try it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Samster2004
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Oh Dear! This is difficult - we stayed one night in the Peabody which was amazing and we scored it 5, we then moved to the River Inn and now I have no where to go on the score. I would score it 6 if I could. The service was great from reception, to housekeeping to waiting staff. We used all the restaurants and I can't fault them at all. The cocktails overlooking the Mississippi were fabulous. We were upgraded to a suite which was super - honestly stay there if you get a chance.
I usually try to review in a balanced way but I could find no fault or nothing that I could see could be improved.
I have stayed at some great hotels all over the world and this ranks up there - well done River Inn, you have obviously thought hard about what you do and its paid off.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LadyMadge
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the River Inn while attending the Memphis BBQ Championship
and sightseeing Memphis. Although enough bad things can't be said for the BBQ Championship, the opposite is true of the River Inn. Staying here turned what could have been a very bad taste of Memphis into a great experience of the city and all it has to offer.

The accommodations are outstanding. The staff is exceptional. The dining is wonderful. A full-breakfast in the Lovely Paulette's is included in your rate and urn down service includes chocolate and port. Can't think of a better place to stay.

All of the staff provided hearty greetings, wonderful service, and joyous smiles. This
goes from the housekeeping staff, to the restaurant staff (both Paulette's and the Terrace restaurant), to the front desk.

Can't say enough good things about this great Inn. If you are ever in Memphis, you would be remiss in not staying here.

Room Tip: Although our room did not face the water, it was lovely and very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple